Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Schwalbe Rock Razor Vs Maxxis Minion SS Vs WTB Trail Boss
  • mboy
    Free Member

Anyone used them all? On the back obviously…

Quite like the Trail Boss, it’s both faster and grippier than it looks (though it does slide early) IMO. But the Rock Razor and Minion SS look both faster, and have more edge bite, at the expense of bite in a straight line.

So… Rock Razor or Minion SS? I’m less concenred with outright grip (or speed) than I am predictability. I don’t like tyres that let go very quickly (a la High Roller 2) on the back, preferring a gentle drift to all or nothing grip.

tom.nash

I use the Trail Boss and like it but, as you say, slides early. A friend is using the Maxxis Aggressor and that looks great, he’s definitely impressed.

strangey13
    Free Member

What about the WTB Riddler, I’ve been using Vigilante / Trail Boss on the rear and am looking at these to try.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve only used the rock razor out of those. It’s been highly recommended to me by friends but as it was so similar to a racing Ralph tread I’ve been resistant as I just don’t get on with them. I stuck to my trusted nobby nic over winter.

I put the rr on about a month ago, it’s been one of the best tyres I’ve run for years. It seems to have as much grip as my nn in spring mud but it rolls so well. So far so good, really impressed.

mikekay
    Free Member

Ive used both and find the Minion ss the grippyest, although i managed to slash both within one or two rides.

Both good tires though if you can keep them up.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just a heads up, there are Razor Rocks at PX that can be reduced by 20% with the weekend extension to the code “pxsavethequeen” (in caps). 😉

olibluegoat
    Free Member

How do the Rock Razor and Minion SS compare to the Ardent Race in terms of braking and cornering performance?

BadlyWiredDog

How do the Rock Razor and Minion SS compare to the Ardent Race in terms of braking and cornering performance?

I don’t know about the Minion SS, but I’ve used the Rock Razor and the Ardent Race – both as rear tyres on a 26″ hardtail – and my take is that the RR is slightly quicker in a straight line, corners better when it’s cranked over thanks to the big side knobs and brakes, erm, okay except when things get properly steep when it’s a bit slidey. Generally I can’t believe how grippy it is. The AR feels kind of more balanced all round, if that makes sense, just gets on with doing everything pretty well.

One thing that you need to bear in mind is that the RR comes as 2.35″ only – in 26″ anyway – and is a pretty big tyre with lots of volume, while the Ardent Race is only 2.2″ and relatively slim. It’s quite a big difference. I’ve used the 2.35″ Ikon as well and that’s pretty decent and quick, but has less cornering grip than the RR and gets very squirrely in softer conditions.

I prefer the Maxxis rubber compound on rocky stuff mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Rock Razor Vs Maxxis Minion SS Vs WTB Trail Boss’ is closed to new replies.