Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • schwalbe or conti spike tyres?
  • lovewookie

For my 29er? Either going to be marathon winters, 240 spikes @1.6″ or something else? Not planning epic ice of road adventures hence the marathons would do as they are under 1kg too not wanting to lug about too much weight.

Should I be considering anything else?

BTW, not home made tyres, CBA with that this year.

Ta

trail_rat
    Free Member

Marathons are fine off road as well anyway. Managed quick laps atthe puffer on minewinter marathon 35c

Reasonable on road too were i do 30 miles a day november to april.

My conti 26s were heavy and rolled horribly

firestarter
    Free Member

I have a pair of brand new conti spikes the 240 ones in 29er 1.6 flavour I may sell if your interested 😉

lovewookie

How much?

firestarter
    Free Member

Cost me 120 And new make me an offer 🙂

john_l
    Free Member

I’m selling some 120s if anyone’s interested. Used twice.

firestarter
    Free Member

80 the pair posted ?

sillyoldman

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros are amazing. Tubeless Ready too.

Conti ones are pish tyres that happen to have studs in them IMHO.

That all coming from someone who generally avoids Schwalbe tyres.

‘Kin expensive mind….

Cheers,

Dave.

firestarter
    Free Member

after a while away i see nowt changes round here 😉

sillyoldman

Sorry FS – answered OP’s Q – didn’t read other responses until now! No offence meant.

firestarter
    Free Member

no worries hence the smiley face 😉

Northwind

Ice Spiker Pro is good for the light weight and fierce grip but might be a bit more than you’re after? And expensive. And IME you also need to factor in the price of an extra bag of spikes as I seem to lose one just about every time I ride.

repoman
    Free Member

This is my third winter commuting on Marathon Winters, can’t praise them highly enough. Lost perhaps 7-8 spikes the dirst winter, just a couple last year, they seem well bedded in now. Was taken with them enough to get Ice Spikers for the hard tail. I’ve only used those a couple of times, but they gripped fantastically when the ground was frozen. The winters do take a bit of effort to get up to speed, but I’d rather that than coming off on ice again. Seem quite puncture resistant too (cue a flat tyre tonight).

lovewookie

Firestarter, the Conti’s can be had at bikediscount.de for £35 each (plus about £6 postage) If you could drop to £50 for the pair I’d have them, otherwise it’ll be a pair of Marathon 240spike’s for me…

ta

firestarter
    Free Member

Id do them for 60 posted but thats breaking my balls 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got Schwalbe. Pretty happy with them for the single ride I got on them last year

Sanny
    Free Member

Ice Spikers – The Pro’s are ace but they shed some studs even when carefully bedded in. The wire bead ones seem to be a harder compound.

I also have the 240s on the crosser. They are grand but when it comes to proper ice, more studs = better! 😀

lovewookie

Thanks Firestarter, but I think I’ll give it a miss.

firestarter
    Free Member

No problem

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think the Schwalbe studs are harder than the Continental ones so they last longer when you’re on tarmac. I tried to find some evidence for that statement but have failed.

I have Schwalbe and Nokian and both are good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘schwalbe or conti spike tyres?’ is closed to new replies.