Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Schwalbe One tyres
  • MarkiMark
    Free Member

Roadie question I know…
    I have a pair of Schwalbe Ones for my road bike, and they are lovely to ride on. However, I puncture regularly, even when air pressure increased to avoid pinching. For the winter I’ve swapped to a pair of Conti Gatorskins and have had no punctures all winter.
    Just had a look on the Schwalbe website and it states clearly that the ‘maximum load’ on a Schwalbe One is 70Kg. Me and my bike together weigh about 88Kg.
    I’ve just realised this isn’t a question D’oh!
    But I don’t ever remember reading this limitation in reviews. Given that I’m not exactly heavy, you’d think it would have been made clearer ‘cos there must be loads of people having the same problem.

avdave2

One may be 70kg but my bike has one each end adding up to 140kg 🙂

They are available in tubeless now, I’m thinking of trying them once I’ve worn out my current tyres.

frogstomp

As above.. and backed up by a response from Schwalbe pinched from another forum thread:

Load = Maximum Load in kilograms per tire at maximum pressure, so for the City Jet with a 90kg load rating it can handle 90kg (198 lbs) of load when inflated to max PSI which is 65 PSI. That is per tire, so if you had two tires on your bike at max PSI it would have a total rider/luggage load of just under 400 lbs.

sq225917
    Free Member

Like the belt-less Ultremo’s they’ve never been great for puncture resistance and they do wear pretty quickly, but the trade off is they are super light and very low rolling resistance, especially with latex tubes or tubeless. I’m 85kg and they’re my road tyre of choice, not for any of the above but simply because they are the grippiest tyres I’ve ever ridden.

You pays your money….

(I’ve found the Hutchinson Fusion 3 to very puncture resistant, pulled a 6mm shard straight out of my rear tyre last week, hadn’t gone through, not even a slowy. They are light, roll fast, but you do lose some grip, especially on greasy roads.)

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m 95Kg, have never punctured on my Schwalbe Ones but have had 3 punctures recently on Conti GP4Seasons – I think it’s just down to luck a lot of the time (if I hadn’t had a lot of puncture-free riding with GP4Seasons in the past I’d have probably ditched them as crap by now).

ransos
    Free Member

I’m 95Kg, have never punctured on my Schwalbe Ones but have had 3 punctures recently on Conti GP4Seasons – I think it’s just down to luck a lot of the time

This: I had 2 punctures in 2 rides on my GP4 seasons, then none for the next 12 months.

BadlyWiredDog

This is why pulling wheelies – or stoppies – is a really bad idea. Suddenly you are overloading your rear or front tyre and potentially causing serious damage. The tyre manufacturers do not mention this as they do not want to seem alarmist, but when you think it through, it suggests that most tyres now sold are unsuitable for real world use except by very light riders.

Bregante

I’ve had one puncture in about 600 miles on a set of Schwalbe Ones and that was at the end of the summer when the hedges had been pruned back around here. I’m 95kg

tomd
    Free Member

This is why pulling wheelies – or stoppies – is a really bad idea. Suddenly you are overloading your rear or front tyre and potentially causing serious damage. The tyre manufacturers do not mention this as they do not want to seem alarmist, but when you think it through, it suggests that most tyres now sold are unsuitable for real world use except by very light riders.

It’s wonder all tyres don’t explode when you hit a bump following this sort of logic.

MarkiMark
    Free Member

What!! I have two wheels!!
    Can someone please delete this entire thread to save further embarrassment…
    Still doesn’t explain why so many punctures…

munkster
    Free Member

They are available in tubeless now, I’m thinking of trying them once I’ve worn out my current tyres.

Please post back on here when you find some 25mm ones in stock anywhere! 😉

(I do have them on my main road bike, in tubeless, very nice.)

BadlyWiredDog

It’s wonder all tyres don’t explode when you hit a bump following this sort of logic.

Have you never heard of pinch flats? It is a phenomenon just as you describe, but not one the tyre industry is eager to discuss. Go figure.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Munster, I have some of the new Pro One 23c and they come up big at a full 25mm. I also have the older tubeless version in 25c and they are huge hence the downsize this time.

Fwiw, I’m 85kg and have punctured very rarely on standard Ones. They wear quickly so the op may be trying to eek too many miles out what is a race tyre.

TiRed

What pressure are you running them at? I’ve run Ones for 1000’s of km and had two punctures – including throughout the winter. I run either 25c with latex tubes or tubeless. The tubeless have never punctured. I run mine at 105/110 PSI F/R and me and the bike weigh in at about 77 kg with bidon and tools.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Im about to get some new Schwalbe pro ones to run tubeless but cant decide between 25 and 28c… will 28c be much slower if at all?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Please post back on here when you find some 25mm ones in stock anywhere!

We have a couple of pairs in stock if you need them. Great tyres.

mauja
    Free Member

I’m running 28mm Schwalbe Ones on my winter bike and 23mm Schwalbe Ones on my summer bike. The 28’s don’t really feel like they roll any slower to me but do seem to give a more forgiving ride.

sq225917
    Free Member

85kg and 130psi

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks, I don’t have an immediate need (my current ones are on the summer bike and should have plenty of life left, and I have Hutchinson Intensives on the winter bike) but will bear you in mind for the future 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

85kg and 130psi

Are you riding on the track?!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Should be more like 80-90psi
    The extra psi will make little difference especially on crap roads where a lower psi will be more comfortable and probably roll better..
    http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/schwalbe-pro-one-tubeless-2016

stevious

Just tried to find these online but failed. Managed to destroy one on the rear wheel and want to replace it – not even the german shops have them in stock!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe One tyres’ is closed to new replies.