Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Schwalbe on Light Bicycle rims
  • Shred
    Free Member

I have finally got my Light Bicycle 27mm hookless 29er rims built up. I have a new Schwalbe Rocket Ron and an older Ralph to fit. With 2 layers of Stans yellow tape, both types are so loose that there is no way of getting any type of seal for inflation. It makes me worry that even if I get them inflated, that they will not stay on while riding.

Since these tyres were tight on my crest rims, I wonder if any brands will actually fit.
    Any advice out there?

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

My experience with Schwalbe is that they seal ok if new but are a real PITA if they’ve been used. Same problem on Stans and Light Bicycle (hookless). On the other hand Maxxis go on fine even if previously used.

Shred
    Free Member

The new Ron is extremely loose, I can remove and mount the tyre with no effort.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve used Ron’s and Ralph’s witout issue so far, just fitted a new Ralph. I do haveto use a coke bottle compressor to get them inflated though, can’t do it with a track pump

Mbnut
    Free Member

I run Schwalbe NN and HD on LB 33mm hookless with no worries.

I did find I couldn’t get a NN to go up on my sons bike but I just popped a tube in for the first ride then took it out and it went straight up.

gee
    Free Member

Pull the sidewalks of the tyre onto the rim bed all the way round by pulling them apart, then use a compressor.

Works fine for a load of people I know with this combo.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

new Thunder Burts went up no problem on my 27mm LB hookless rims.

Maybe just run a few more layers of tape, to aid inflation?

jimification
    Free Member

Yes. I found they went up with a track pump when new but very difficult when stretched a bit (2015 29er RoRo SS 2.25’s) I loosely wrapped a couple of extra turns of electrical tape over the Stans yellow and pulled the beads out and that seemed to do the trick but they’re right on the edge of not going up without a compressor / ghetto.

Shred
    Free Member

I stuck a tube in, and pumped them up to 50 psi, and they did not seat.
    When I let them down again, the bead just came straight off.
    Not very happy at the moment.

gee
    Free Member

Try squirting GT85 or similar on the beads to help them slip on and seat.

shermer75
    Free Member

CO2 inflaters really help with this sort of thing

shermer75
    Free Member

I also use washing up liquid and a little water instead if GT85, but I guess either will do…

njee20
    Free Member

Bontrager Flash Charger sorted it for me…

I had the same issue as others that a new tyre was great, but refitting older ones were very baggy, so you’d end up with extra tape, which you’d then have to remove if you got new tyres etc etc. you also end up with about 100g of tape on each wheel if you’re not careful!

Shred
    Free Member

Well, I got them all inflated now. I ended up building a ghetto cola bottle inflator and they required 2 layers of stans tape.

Lots of laughing from the family while I was pumping like crazy to fill up the bottle before messing it up and having the tube fly off before it seated, but I eventually got there!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe on Light Bicycle rims’ is closed to new replies.