Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Schwalbe Marathons – which one's are you using?
  • RustySpanner

What are the new wired ones like for mounting these days?
    Still awful?

Switched to Paselas a while ago, but fancy trying Marathons again.

Like the idea of the folders – must be easier to get on and off?

Deluxe look good.
    As do the Mondials, but possibly overkill for everyday use.

Once they’re on, they’re bloody well staying on, so all experiences, thoughts and ideas welcome.
    Alternatives too, if there’s anything as good around.

Thanks.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I got some Marathon supremes (folders) cheap of ebay – light, easy to mount, run fine

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive just fitted marathon racers. I went to spa cycles as they had loads of schwalbe as i wanted to see. The treads. I rode 80 miles on them first day out other day on roads dirt gravel grass and wet mud then for 20 miles in the mother of all storms it was hub deep in water at times and the roads were full of crap after the rain flowed from the fields. Zero flats and rolled very nicely too and didnt slip once on any part of the ride. And went on without levers

I nearly went with deluxe but figured my rides are currently more road based with a bit of offroads rather than the other way round and so the racers won

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Marathon Tour Plus on my Vaya.
    But thinking of going back to Marathon Tour.
    Don’t really need the extra ‘gnarr’ for what I ride.
    Heavy? Yes. Bombproof? Yes.
    Not really worried about the weight, afterall, it’s on a Vaya..

thomthumb
    Free Member

marathon racers (sometimes) on my vaya. lovely light touring tyre.

Marathon plus on the commuter – paselas and duranos (same as marathon racer) weren’t up to southamptons glass strewn streets!

marathon plus are horrible to ride – but punture proof. Marathon racers are mucg nocer to ride on but too light for day to day on my current commute (never had the issues from the old place).

daveh
    Free Member

Supreme. Not managed to puncture one yet.

boblo
    Free Member

Haven’t you heard, they’ve been rebranded as ‘Snickers’…

I use standard 368’s from Spa for commuting and off road touring. They are the bargain of the century at £11 per. No issues fitting and they’re hard to ignore if you just want a tough touring tyre. Not too heavy either at ~450g.

I have a pair of XR’s for the tandem for horrible road touring (e.g. Albania, Romania, Manchester etc). They’re the predecessor to Mondial’s and will withstand a nuclear strike (maybe).

I’ve just bought some Supreme’s for the road tourer after a lifetime on Pasela’s. No comment yet apart from they’re cheaper from the Fatherland. If they ride as nicely as Pasela’s, resist punctures like Pasela’s and have slightly tougher sidewalls, they’ll be a winner. They’re slightly lighter too.

poolman
    Free Member

I have a M+ on the rear of the Brompton, normal up front. They may be heavy & horrible to ride, but so is a puncture on a Brompton.

Normal Marathons on the tourer, 1000s of miles & the mould spikes are still showing. Again, may be heavy but nice knowing the puncture kit will be borrowed by someone else.

Even bought a spare Marathon but think it will be a while till it gets any use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Marathons – which one's are you using?’ is closed to new replies.