Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Schwalbe magic mary tyres
  • marco
    Free Member

Hi guys
    As above: Anyone use these tyres? Are they gonna be too much for everyday trail riding?
    Cheers

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve got one on the front of my new bike.
    Running tubeless on Syntace w35 rim.
    Quite impressed so far.
    Even the lightweight EVO snakeskin casing seems fine, though I’d have gone heavier given option.
    I’ve got the Trailstar compound which would be ideal for you, but would ideally have taken the softer vertstar personally.
    [edit] but then my 100mm XC hardtail used to have a 42a Minion on the front [/edit]

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Anyone use these tyres?

Yes, I like them a lot. Casings seem tough, super grippy everywhere, acceptable weight and rolling (to me)

Are they gonna be too much for everyday trail riding?

Depends on you and where you ride. What other tyres do you like?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealy
    Free Member

I’ve got one on the front, 27.5 snake skin trailstar (so not super gravity) weighs 916g. They are brilliant, loads of grip and support and roll fine unless you’re on road but no worse than a chunky monkey in that respect. It’s already got me out of a few “oh &#!+” moments. There are faster rolling lighter tyres but I’d rather have the grip. Could always stick a rock razor on the back now that it’s summer (jinxed it)

marco
    Free Member

I ride in and around Calderdale with occasional away days.
    Have used Conti Barons, Minions, in the past but just fancy trying something new!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Nealy how do they compare overall to CM and are sidewalls stiff as well as tough?

nealy
    Free Member

chunky monkeys nearly killed me in calderdale on a very wet snowy day, not been back with the new bike and MM but pretty sure I’ll only have my own lack of skill to blame rather than the tyres.

Nealy how do they compare overall to CM and are sidewalls stiff as well as tough?

Carcass are about the same size (MM slightly bigger) but the MM is stiffer/tougher and the knobs are loads bigger on the MM than the CM. Even when the CM was brand new it was nowhere near as confidence inspiring as the MM and I still rate the CM as a good tyre.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

If you like Barons and minions, you’ll like them I reckon, kind of a best of both worlds of those two tyres. Or like a Baron but bigger and stronger.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

very grippy, very impressive tyres

I’m running 26″ Trailstar Super Gravity tubeless and very happy – have used RQ2.4/Ardent2.4/HD/Baron on the front and this is the best mix of grip/size/tubeless/rolling speed of the lot.

I’d only run one on the front personally – as above try something like HD or similar on the rear for faster rolling.

Too much for general trail riding? Nah!

rugbydick

Got a Magic Mary on the front paired with a Hans Dampf on the back.
    Seems like a great combo for my kind of riding (Highlands, Aberdeenshire, etc).

First time using them was a long weekend riding Welsh trail centres (Bike Park Wales, Afan, Coed y Brenin and Llandegla) and they were great.
    There are definitely faster, lighter tyres out there; but they’re tough (I got Super Gravity versions, looking forwards to my Alps trip in June) and grip exceptionally well.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m putting MM in the same category as Minion and CM. The “very good” category.
    Entirely coincidentally, those are the three tyres currently fitted to my fleet 😀 :
    Patriot = 2.5 dual ply 42a Minion
    LV 301 = MM (27.5 wheel)
    456evoTi = CM

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Yep running one up front in trailstar (650b) its awesome.

marco
    Free Member

Has anyone used the Performance Line versions?
    Are they like non sticky versions?

sq225917
    Free Member

Performance are just the cheaper carcass and harder rubber.

Northwind

I’m just waiting to see wear rates, the ones I’ve seen have been wearing as fast as other soft schwalbes which is no good imo but they are bloomin excellent at being tyres otherwise.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe magic mary tyres’ is closed to new replies.