Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Schwalbe Magic Mary
  • muggomagic

For those running a magic Mary, how have they held up? They look like a good alternative to the conti baron, but I’m put off as pretty much every Schwalbe tyre I’ve had seems to have ended up slung in the bin after a month or 2 with a tear in the sidewall. Is the snakeskin tech any more durable? I will be running them tubeless.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I ran them last December til it got properly dry and they’ve now gone back on again ready for winter and are still fine. I’d still gladly buy a pair per season if I had to cause I love them that much!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mines held up fine (only sung it in the front though). I’m using it as an all weather tyre because I’m too lazy to swap tyres. It’s survived BPW and local DH runs plus general riding.

My Schwable tyres have all been fine and even lasted reasonably well.

muggomagic

Sounding good so far. What versions are you using? I’ll just be running it on the front too.

EDIT: I will add that the schwalbe tyres I’ve used before were their UST Ralph’s and NN.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They don’t appear to last as long as Maxxis equivalents, although they are a great tyre to be fair.

My main gripes are the weight, even in the snakeskin format a 2.35 650b tyre is pretty much 1kg, and the side knobs tearing off.

As grippy as they are, I won’t be buying any more.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s the Evo snakeskin Trailstar version. I really like it. Works in mud as well as dust etc.

tmb467
    Free Member

Another option is the mavic charge

Great tread, fantastic grip in all conditions but not light

mactheknife

I am a bit of a fan of Schwalbe tyres, especially the Hans Dampf which goes against the grain on here sometimes, i popped on a brand new a Magic Mary for a week in the Alps and have run it since i got home for about 5 good long day rides since then and it looks like it has been in the wars. There were tiny hairline cracks after the first ride along the outer nobbles but to be fair there seemed to be no damage while riding. The nobbles are all slightly damaged with chips out of them.

They are grippier than a grippier thing in gripsville but their longevity is definitely in question at the moment.

These are Trailstar compound so maybe not unexpected. Ill run them for a while longer just to see how they hold up.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Same experience as mactheknife here.
    Popped (actually struggled for quite some time – they’re tight!) one on for the Alps and it was great. Super grippy but rolled reasonably well.
    But mine too has got the hairline cracks on the outer nobbles and it’s peeling away on the outer layers.
    I think they’re worth a go, muggomagic because they are so good, but they definitely aren’t going to last forever.

muggomagic

Ok. I’ll give it a whirl. What versions were you running?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Best frontie I´ve used in ages. Hard to get on but really good grip. Using the harder compound in the super gravity version. Heavy but they are definitely faster than dual ply Maxxis. Side knobs sort of crack on the first ride or two but stay OK after that. The grip is great. Running them with a Rock Razor out back and love that combo at the moment.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’ve got one up front, it’s the best front tyre I’ve had, my only gripe is it’s one month old and all the knobbles are cracked and it looks 10 years old.

That said it still really grippy, had a wet week in les arcs and it was great on the rock and on the mud. I’m running the trail star super gravity version. I couldn’t imagine running one on the rear it would be pretty slow I imagine.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mine has a few cracks after a summers use, but they don’t seem to be getting any worse.

Mine was super easy to get on my UST rims and run tubeless like all of my Schawble tyres have been. I think I’ve found my front tyre with these and in the summer I’ll run my Rock Razor on the rear and a Hans Dampf rear for the wetter months.

mactheknife

Doug, do you get many problems with sharp rocks? Im only thinking with the small blocks being so close to the outer walls.

Cheers 🙂

Northwind

The knobs seem tougher than most schwalbes (mine is a trailstar) but it’s not equivalent to a baron imo- far more a mud tyre, the baron’s got much more grip in the dry and on hard wet things, and rolls faster to boot. I suppose in the absence of a 650b Baron it might be about as close as you can get though.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Mac, none at all… And you know we have sharp rocks!

mactheknife

I do 🙂 good news. Ill get one ordered.

P20

Fancy these for the winter. Where’s the cheapest for 26″ flavour?

thedude
    Free Member

The new ones with the tubeless easy sidewalls should be out soon.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Magic Mary’ is closed to new replies.