Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 tyres – opinions & experiences wanted …
  • andyt1054
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve been looking at buying a pair of these for my orange five, mainly for trail centre use and normal xc riding, looking at the single ply versions as they’re a bit lighter and in honesty would easily be sufficient for the sort of rides I go on. Just wondered if anyone had any experiences either good or bad with these tyres???

Any thoughts / opinions wanted and welcome!

Thanks in advance

Andy

jonke
    Free Member

On the basis of some good reviews I chucked some on my Nomad and will take for first ride tonight – so can let you know how I get on tomorrow. I like the fact that they are setup to go tubeless.

They size up bigger than my high roller II’s 2.4.

The one thing that might be worth considering is putting the software trailstar compound on the front and harder compound pacestar on the back. Wish I’d thought of that when I bought them – as my intention was a similar use case to yours.

Only other thing I would add is you can get them for less than £40/tyre from bikediscount.de for less than £40 a tyre which seemed okay. Well not okay actually – when did tyres get so frickin’ expensive? but relatively.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

For that sort of riding I would look at the Maxxis Ardent LUST. Great tyre at 20 psi for trail centers. I use HRII front and HR 2.35 rear for Wales etc awsome combination of grip, clearing and roll really well. HD’s bit slow. Weights not the issue IMHO its rolling resistance.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mmannerr

They are pretty slow rolling on tarmac but work very well on trails, somehow they feel very predictable all around. I’m told that they will not last long in AM / Park use but guess that is not same as trail centre use.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Wow,

thanks for all the replies lads, i think based on what has been said i’ll give them a go. I honestly dont think i’d notice how “draggy” they would be with the small amount of road based riding i do on the Five.

Just wanted to say thanks for the replies! 🙂

andyt1054
    Free Member

“jonke” thanks mate for the info. I agree about tyre prices, everything seems to be over priced these days!

Andy

jedi

i have trailstar front and rear and find them too heavy for regular ride.
    they’d be an awesome alpine tyre

maybe i’ll try pacestar rear.

jonke
    Free Member

They are brilliantly grippy tyres though. Icy/dry as a bone last night though. No idea what they will be like in the wet. Would agree with Jedi, would be great alpine option. Based on my ride last night I would go for the harder compound pacestar on the rear.

honourablegeorge

I’ve found them brilliantly grippy on my local stuff, which lately has been all wet rocks, mud and roots. They clog a little at times when it gets really sticky, but pretty much every tyre does around here other than a swampy.

They’re draggy for trail centre hardback though, had them at Llandegla and didn’t care for them. That stuff’s the exception rather than the rule for me though, so they;ll be staying on.

jonke
    Free Member

Bargain!!!!!

bikediscount offer

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was thinking about Hans Dampfs but went for Fat Alberts, I hope the Dampfs are better as I am totally underwhelmed buy the Alberts on the trail and they seem very puncture prone, 3 in 5 rides.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 tyres – opinions & experiences wanted …’ is closed to new replies.