Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Schwalbe G-One
  • astormatt
    Free Member

So a few weeks ago, i bought myself a cx bike, it’s great, i love that i can head out on the road or head out on my local trails, but i have entered myself in a few (non competitive) road events so i need a new set of tyres.
    I have been looking at the G-One rather than a full slick road tyre, i don’t want the hassle of changing tyres so need something which sits in the middle of what i need.
    Anyone has any experience of these in 35c?
    Or any suggestions on any other similar to the G-One which won’t break the bank.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g-one-allround-performance-raceguard-folding-gravel-tyre-700c-100498.html

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run the 35mm G-One front and back on my commuter, tubeless. Great tyre. Fast, grippy, tough. Recommended. I got mine from ze Germans but the UK seems closer on price these days.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I fitted a pair of 29×2.35 G-One Speed Evos to my Wazoo’s 29er wheels ~2 weeks ago, they fly! Roughly same weight as the 700×38 Marathon Cross they replaced* (560/600g), they roll well enough to compensate for their extra areo drag.

* Marathon Cross still have loads of life left, but came across this G-One bargain on Ebay for £50 for a brand new pair.

onandon
    Free Member

I’ve been using g-one 35s since they came out. I can’t find anything which offers the onroad speed and semi off road ability these have.

As with everything in life, these are a compromise. Crap in wet conditions off road, but then again what would you expect for a lightly knobbled tyre.

I’d say get them but I sure some will be along shortly to say they are the satans very own black circles or hell.

qwerty
    Free Member

Pretty sure Nick Craig used one on the rear for the 3 Peaks – IIRC he did alright on it 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

Try the Challenge Gravel Grinders.

curto80
    Free Member

Great tyre but I couldn’t get mine on or off the (synchros) rim for love nor money. Ended up splitting the rim at the join trying to remount them by the side of the road. Have since swapped them for some Hutchinson black mambas which I can mount by hand in seconds.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Probably a G one speed for more road duty.
    Was using the 35 on the Tour of the Black Country last week.
    Great on the the gravel and fast rolling but struggled to keep the speed of the roadies on the last few miles.
    Max

onandon
    Free Member

Interesting. I found the black mambers super tight on three sets of rims. Out of the four that I had, two were deformed / buckled out of the box. Hutchinson weren’t interested and said I must have used force to take them out of the packet 🙂

curto80
    Free Member

Ha ha

Cycling kit can be so random at times

peekay

There are two versions
    G One All-round and G One Speed.(I think the Speed version used to be called the S-One)

I think that the Speed version would be better for me as the bike is used for 80% road commuting with the occasional Offroad commute. Currently have Marathon Plus on it and these are so dull and slow feeling so been looking at these for a few weeks as can go tubeless on my rims.

Has anybody found the speed version in 35c for less than £50?

I know the All-round can be had for about £35 but worry that these will be as slow on the road as marathon pluses. Lots of the reviews don’t make it clear which version they have.

astormatt
    Free Member

Thanks all, i have just had a look at the speed version but not sure i would be happy to leave them on for my local rides as the Malverns can be pretty rough and rocky.
    Look ideal for road and more smooth riding though.

ChrisA
    Free Member

I run s-ones on the diverge & g-ones on the cross bike, I love them both. The s-ones I run tubeless & I much prefer them to my other road bike with 25mm, went up first time too.

The g-ones seem a bit looser on the rim so I struggled to get them set up tubeless from the off but now they are all set up they’re great.

The price has crept up a bit over the past few months but They’re great tyres

TiRed

I run the G One Speed 30c tubeless on non-tubeles Mavic ksyriums. They are excellent tyres, come up at least 28cm – these are the widest tyres I run and do show the expected benefits. On the road they feel fast at 75/80psi, and my regular training ride shows little effect compared with other bikes. I’ve not taken them off road, but would happily ride them on gravel. Mud would not be their forte. I’m very pleased with them, idont think you need wider on a road-focussed cross bike (which is what mine are running on). Bought them from bike24.de

notmyrealname
    Free Member

They are excellent tyres, come up at least 28cm – these are the widest tyres I run and do show the expected benefits

That’s the whole road+ thing taken to another level 😯

mickyfinn
    Free Member

G-One speed in 35mm on my Escapade bloody fast on road (easily as fast as the 25mm 4 seasons on the roadie) and great on dirt/gravelly stuff. Bloody great tyres. So far mine have taken a beating and are going strong, then again I’ll happily bash down some rough dirt on the 4seasons at 100psi and they cope too it’s all fun

djglover
    Free Member

They are brilliant. easy to hold 20mph+ on the road and capable of pretty much anything I can throw at them

Did 70 miles on them today on a real mix of terrain. see first photo, stockdale lane, was probably on the edge of what I’d take them on but were fine. https://www.strava.com/activities/966254736

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve got g-one speeds in 30c and like them so much I’m thinking I might even use them on the rear for dry cross races in september

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Seem to be loads of different compounds – what’s best for what?

astormatt
    Free Member

According to the schwalbe website, it seems the Evo compound rolls better and has slightly more, on road grip and protection than the Performance compound.
    A pair of Evo is around £25 more a pair…worth it?

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used both the G-One 35mm and the nominally 30mm G-One Speeds. The former’s good off road on pretty much anything dry – I’ve ridden stuff like Roych Clough on them – and still decently quick on road. The latter are properly quick on tarmac and still okay on easy off road and reassuringly sturdy with it.

I suspect it depends on how competitive you want to be in your ‘non-competitive’ road events. The 35mm will do it and be better off road, the 30mm will be a bit quicker on tarmac, but less cushioned and capable on trails. More a ‘cobbles’ than a ‘gravel’ tyre maybe.

If it’s wet and slippy off road, you need something else, up front at least and probably at the back too, though they’re survivable for short stretches ime.

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got the 30mm S-Ones (now the G-One S I gather) on the Grade. I really rate them – better than the Challenge Strade Bianche and Panaracer Gravel Kings they replaced (faster, grippier, more durable; the Challenge tyres are possibly more comfortable because the volume seemed larger).

mattsccm
    Free Member

How long are G ones lasting? My whinge about treaded gravel tyres is the fact that they wear out so quickly. Soft grippy rubber I guess and thin tread. My rough stuff bike does about 4000 miles a year and I want at least that from a rear. I normally use 42mm raod tyres but they don’t like being run tubeless.
    The road bike has 30mm S Ones which are great although I can’t tell the difference between them and the Challenge Strada Biancas. The former is much tougher though.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    They are brilliant. easy to hold 20mph+ on the road and capable of pretty much anything I can throw at them

Did 70 miles on them today on a real mix of terrain. see first photo, stockdale lane, was probably on the edge of what I’d take them on but were fine. https://www.strava.com/activities/966254736

Looks a great ride, I’m going to make a GPX of that, hope you don’t mind!

jonnyboi

How long are G ones lasting?

the rear of mine is done, I’d take a random guess that I did around 2-3k on it.

TiRed

The knobbles are wearing at about 1000 km, as above I’d also guess at 2-3000 km. Front will be at least double this. Being tubeless, I won’t be rotating them. But the ride and ease of mounting are excellent. I run them on my winter bike, roadified cross bike and will run them on the nice bike too for those surrey lanes.

djglover
    Free Member

Looks a great ride, I’m going to make a GPX of that, hope you don’t mind!

Not at all, my only comment would be that I wish I had done it in reverse yesterday due to the wind direction. I was battling a headwind from Settle to Skyreholme and most of it was >1000ft. With the prevailing wind it will usually be fine the way I did it yesterday.

pdw
    Free Member

Anyone got any views on using these as dry/summer CX race tyre? I’ve been using an X-One (rear) and X-One bite (front) in the winter and am happy with them, but wondering about something a bit quicker for doing a few summer series races. I’m a bit put off by the lack of side knobbles.

ciquta
    Free Member

weird question coming

do you think the 29×2.35 version will last enough for a 3500miles trip (mostly on tarmac)? Maybe swapping the tyres at half trip?

I am planning a long trip and I’d like to go with these instead of heavy surly ET…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Hard to say, I swapped my 2.35″ pair out for 700*28c Grandsport Races back in June, will swap back to G-Ones or Marathon Cross for winter months.

I had one rear puncture during ~3 months (~700 miles) while running at ~40 psi, increased pressure a bit after that.

lotto
    Free Member

@ n0b0dy0ftheg0at. What pressure are you running the 29×2.35 at? I’ve the same set up and running around 25psi front and rear.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

On road commutes almost all the time, I was running ~40/45PSI (f/r) since the rear puncture, beforehand I was using ~35/40.

Back then I was using ~91Kg as total weight of me; Wazoo; work uniform; stuff in jacket pockets etc. With a 35mm Corto stem, which would put even more weight over the rear wheel, I was estimating ~60% weight on rear and even that might well be under-estimating.

IIRC, the internal rim width of the FatNotFat 29er wheels are ~20-21mm, which makes running low pressures far more risky for 2.35″ tyres.

lotto
    Free Member

I’m on scrapers with 45mm internal width and 85kg rider weight. Mixed terrain riding. I’ll add some pressure see how that feels. Cheers.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Thread resurrection!

I’m running 700x38mm G-one allrounds on Crests with tubes at about 65 psi and they’re great for mostly road with some occasional off road.

I also ran them tubeless on the same rims at 40 psi and they were noticably slower on road.

Ideally I’d like to run them tubeless at 60+ psi but am too scared (!) to exceed Crest max pressures by that much so am considering some roadie tubeless rims. What are people using / what’s recommended?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you are my sort of weight (76Kg), try ~50/70 f/r with tubes for 38mm tyres.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe G-One’ is closed to new replies.