Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Schwalbe Fat Alberts – how are they in mud
  • theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Ive got some hans dampfs to go on but knowing they’re pretty (very) bad at clearing mud how are the Fat Alberts? I ask as ive a set of them that came on the new bike and I was going to sell them to fund some winter tyres but if they clear mud well they could be a useful winter ish tyre? Any experiences? I’m not looking for a full on mud tyre tbh, just something that isn’t as horrendous as the HD!

LoCo
    Free Member

Mine are ok, as fairly well spaced knobs, but not as good as thinner width specific mud tyres, have yet to get a set of Dampfs as the Alberts still have a fair bit of life in them yet.

tonyd

I’ve one on the front and it seems to perform OK. If it gets too wet/muddy I usually bung on the trailrakers, but we rode a very wet and muddy Black Mountains killer loop the other week and I left it on (with a Nobby Nic on the back) without any issues. Glad I did too as it was a pretty rocky affair at times.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Loco; I looked at the tread pattern and thought it might be ok because of the spacing but I’d heard mixed things about them.

I’ve used a set of Nobby nics for a year (pacestar non-snakeskin) and really liked them, only changed to the HD as I was getting more tears in them at rockier places; but they’re horrendous at clearing mud! If the HD are the same or worse I’m thinking I’ll need something more suitable for the winter.. Question is will the fat alberts fit the bill…

LoCo
    Free Member

They’re an ok ‘all round’ tyre, I don’t like faffing with changing tyres so they stay on all year, a winter/mud specific tyre would be better, but then depends where you ride too, here South Wales is quite rocky and most of the stuff is reasonably quick so helps them clear too.

Edit:Oh they’re 2.4 evo ust front and 2.25 evo ust rear, both specific and triple compound if that makes any difference in your choice

doom_mountain

I would agree with Loco, use them all year round.
    They’re not amazing in mud but better than other ‘all rounder’ tyres I’ve tried.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Cheers all 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Fat Alberts – how are they in mud’ is closed to new replies.