Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Schwalbe equivalent to Continental mountain kings?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

As above really, my rear mountain king 2.4 black chilli has failed at the side wall so I’m wandering whats the equivalent tyre from Schwalbe? Note this is actually a what tyre thread but I think I’ve disguised it pretty well 😉

twang
    Free Member

Nobby Nic has roughly the same tread pattern and with snakeskin the sidewalls will outlive the tread, not as grippy as Black chili though. Also if you’ve got Stans rims they may not fit.

slofox
    Free Member

How about Hans Dampf also available in snakeskin and also in a grippier formulation than the Nobby Nic.! 8)

BearBack
    Free Member

Hans Dampf as above probably best of the range. IME, you just have to look at a nobby nic and it wears out.
    Have you been disappointed with your MKII? The tread seems to live forever so might make you feel like you got short changed with sidewall life.

mactheknife

Nobby Nic are universally hated with everyone I ride with. Decent tread and grip but hit any thing techy and they like to commit suicide. I honestly cant see past Trailstar Evo Hans Dampf on the front, it really is an amazing tyre.

twang
    Free Member

Got any pics of your failed MK’s Edward? Mine are seriously worn on the sidewalls, it might give me an idea as to how long I have left before certain death.
    I find Hans Dampfs a big bruiser of a tyre, great for plowing through rocks but quite draggy and not much cop in mud, definitely not a ‘jack of all trades’ tyre as the name suggests.

edward2000
    Free Member

[/URL]

The picture isn’t very good sorry, naf camera on my phone. It’s cut at the sidewall just where it sits on the rim. It popped off completely of the rim out riding today, the tube wasn’t damaged!

twang
    Free Member

Blimey those sidewalls look thin! Thats a different failure to what I’m anticipating, are they the protections? Mine seem to be sprouting fur..

beginning to think Conti’s aren’t fit for purpose…

edward2000
    Free Member

Mines sprouted fur for ages, the pic doesn’t show it cus the bikes dirty. Yes they are the protected version. Shame because the tyre rolls well, grips fantastically and it a decent weight. Wish Conti would sort their sidewalls out!

bails

Mine are also furry. Think it’s where the rubber is worn so the thread is visible.

I’ve got a 2.2″ and a 2.4″, both Protection versions, the 2.4 seems to be built properly but the 2.2″ had leaky sidewalls and I’ve lost a few side knobs off it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe equivalent to Continental mountain kings?’ is closed to new replies.