Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • schwable big apples views? 2.1 or 2.3?Alternatives?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Looking at making my 29er more road friendly while keeping ‘comfort’ and adding speed, so big apples recommended besides girth is there much difference in the two tyres? Do these tyres do okay in the rain or is it slip city waiting to happen?
    Any alternatives?
    Cheers

jameso

I’ve done a fair amount of miles on my Jones with 2.0 big apples on. Big overseas descents with bags on and UK wet winter miles. Didn’t see much need for the bigger ones after riding the 2.0s -plus I got them cheap- as they rolled really well at 25psi on P35s. 2.3s on narrower rims could need enough pressure to remove a lot of the advantages they have. I really rate them. Brilliant for wet, rough lanes in the cold and dark, could ignore the holes that would’ve killed my road bike. Take some spinning up to speed but once there they really go well.
    Conti have a tyre that’s are very similar, forget the name tho sorry.

mboy
    Free Member

2.35″ Big Apples are effing huge! Way bigger than their size would suggest. Put a 26×2.35″ on a wheel for a customer building a heavy duty recumbent the other day, it measured 27.5″ in diameter (ie. bigger than a 650b as they’re really only 27.1″ despite the marketing people). It probably wouldn’t fit in many 26″ bike frames!

vondally
    Free Member

thanks jameso really helpful
    looking at these
    rose bikes tyres big apples

assuming these are the same similar?
    Mboy looking to put them on a 29er, yes they look huge in the pictures!

nedrapier

I’ve got the similar Fat Frank. Fairly honest 2.0, about 45mm accross. weighs 890g, and you certainly notice it! Nice relaxed, steamrollery feel fast turns get locked in once you’ve bullied it over – you can really feel the gyroscopic forces.

It’s work getting them up to speed (dozens of traffic ligths on my commute) and they add a little to any hill you show them.

Not sure what the weight difference is between the 2.1 and the 2.35, but you might want to ask if you want any more than the 2.1 will give you.

midlifecrashes

These are the Big Apple 2.0 on 19mm internal width 29er rims, nice and round and plenty of grip, except in wet slimy gloop, certainly no problem on wet roads and paths. Those are the widest SKS 29er mudguards and still plenty of clearance.

jameso

I’d avoid the ‘plus’ versions if you want fast-rolling, they have that plastic layer inside. Std versions are flat-resistant enough.

Atomizer

I just put 29*2.35 on my Jones – Rabbit Hole rim on the front and Arch Ex on the back.
    They roll amazingly well, and really feel bomb proof on descents.
    First ride last Sunday – I ran them at 40 psi on the way out and 30 psi in the way back, better at lower pressures.
    Downside is getting up to speed and the front wheel felt slow to turn due to rotating mass i think. Got used to it though after a few miles.

They fill up the frame nicely which looks good!

jameso

Put a 26×2.35″ on a wheel for a customer building a heavy duty recumbent the other day, it measured 27.5″ in diameter (ie. bigger than a 650b as they’re really only 27.1″ despite the marketing people

…so a 650B version should end up around 28.5″? : )

jameso

29*2.35 on my Jones – Rabbit Hole rim on the front

Pics of that please..

Atomizer

James
    Can’t link to Flickr from work but if you look for Jones69er on Flickr you should see photos.

vondally
    Free Member

thanks folks one query…;getting upto speed’ surely has to be quicker than my 2.1 specialized ground control MTB tyres on the road?

Northwind

Oh aye, definitely, it’s still a slick/near slick. You do feel the weight but they’re fast rolling

A good option might be another Schwalbe, the Kojak- I had the skinnier version but they do a 2 inch (which going by mine will be a little under 2 inches). It has less puncture protection than the Big Apple but also much less weight- more of a normal road tyre really. Check out the Supermoto too- lighter Big Apple.

IMo most of the reason for the really big ones is looks. Because let’s be honest, they’re ****ing brilliant aren’t they?

Kapow!

Atomizer

Yes, much quicker and smoother

daveh
    Free Member

Kapow!

Wow! What’s that? Like like like.

nedrapier

Nice, Northwind! That’s badarse, that is. In a good way.

At the risk of being utterly dull and repetitive, what bars are they?

Atomizer

James – better if you try Jones96er – mumbers nuddled!

Northwind

daveh – Member

Wow! What’s that? Like like like.

Haven’t a clue, I googled for supermotos and looked for something badass!

Gotama
    Free Member

Jameso – have a look through Jeff’s blog/facebook. There’s quite a few pictures of his Ti diamond set up with enve rims and supermotos. Looks lovely.

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers folks

cannot find supermotos in UK so went for 2,1 apples next day tyres

super pics atomizer….brilliant bike setup

adore the bike Northwind…what frame and forks?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘schwable big apples views? 2.1 or 2.3?Alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.