Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Schools Closed – Almost like a long weekend.
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Thunder and lightning outside this morning with the snow, haven’t seen that for years. A good 10cm lying on my car again.

About to brave the wilderness and make my way to school down the A1 and into the hills of Durham…..what is that buzzing noise? Oh it’s my phone.

Schools closed, an impromptu long weekend and a thoughtful boss who knew that I would set off before everybody else.

God I love snow days.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Pulls up a chair and puts the kettle on… oh, hang on, no I can’t, my school is open. Enjoy it you jammy bugger 🙂

househusband

Just heard my school in Fife is closed. Not that I was planning on even trying the 43mile drive there anyways…

cullen-bay
    Free Member

My school in Dingwall is closed. Woohoo!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Another Fife teacher here.

I will, of course, be spending the day doing development work and not going out to play in the snow. Oh no…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Should be in college today (doing an electrical course) – only got 3″ of snow up the back lane where my car is parked… and it is a 4×4… but alas the snow is sitting on sheet ice and the back lane is steep and distinctly not straight! So I have taken the executive decision to not go in today dispite it being open for fear of placing my car in my neighbours living room 😉

May head up into the (low) hills later to see if there are any photographs worth taking 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

I just spent an hour clearning the drive and paths. It was nice to have to do it because I wanted to, not because I had to go to work.

What to do now? Marking? Planning? Lie in bed for a bit and pretend I’m on holiday. Watch a movie, while marking and planning in bed, pretending to be on holiday, with a beer (later)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Loads closed down here in West Cornwall too.
    Bonkers weather – thunder, rain, sleet, snow, blizzards, high winds, basically EVERYTHING!

miketually
    Free Member

I think we’re the only educational establishment in town that’s open. We have lots of staff in, but very few students – lots of staff live near college but students travel from quite a distance to get here, so we have the opposite problem to schools.

I can fully understand why schools are closing, but part of me wonders why they’re closing entirely: if only half the staff live within walking distance (4 miles, say) why not keep half the school open?

Xylene
    Free Member

My school and our partner school are based on the top of a hill and in the bottom of a valley in County Durham.

Staff live all around, most seem to live within 10 miles of the schools, however, roads in and out of a lot of their villages are impassible. Any coming down the A1 or A19 will be stuck for hours in jams.

My boss when he rang, doubted he would be able to get out of his village if anymore snow came and/or the ploughs didn’t come.

On Thursday it took him 1:30 to go 6 miles.

The big problem with where we work is that people do travel from all around, Sunderland, Durham and Newcastle.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Schools Closed – Almost like a long weekend.’ is closed to new replies.