Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • schoolboy error, fox wiper seal service.
  • oreetmon
    Free Member

just serviced my fox 32s, done it before with no probs.

when sliding the lowers back on i have managed to damage BOTH the internal wiper seal springs,,,,,, not the ones you can see on top of the seals when the forks are back together, the ones inside the bottom of the seals.

have removed both damaged springs for fear of them migrating into the fork internals and causing proper damage.
    going on a big-un in the lakes at the weekend, its all booked and i dont have time to buy/wait for another set to be delivered, hardtails forks are in for a service at the mo’ as well ,,, sods law innit.

the original seals have been ripped out with pliers and one of the springs was damaged so cant re-use the old ones.

they are obviously their for a reason ,but, fingers crossed i can get away with it,,,,,, are they that important ?,,,, will be changing them as soon as replacments arive but need some reasurance that i am not going to risk life on a decent 😯

need the singletrack massive to put an arm around me and say everythings going to be just fine 😀

Rickos
    Free Member

Everything will be fine.

[is he dead yet?]

oreetmon
    Free Member

i’ll get back to you on that one 🙄

glenh
    Free Member

What ‘internal wiper seal springs’?

coatesy
    Free Member

The ones that you won’t even notice until you accidentally pull them out.

Without knowing the exact details, my guess is that the top lip of the seal is to keep water and dirt out, the bottom lip is to keep oil in.
    Without the added tension of the spring they may leak a bit of oil, depends how age hardened the rubber is.
    Should last a weekend at least until you can fix them properly.

glenh
    Free Member

No internal lip/spring on my seals:

wwaswas

there’s a metal washer thing inside the seals near the bottom to keep them round, I think?

new set of seals is about £15 from Mojo…

LoCo
    Free Member

As the forks are apart I’d stick new seals in as it will be a PITA if they start leaking and you have to take them apart again, in stock too 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

At a guess they wont wipe as much of the oil inside off without the springs, but you’ll be fine. You may have a bit more oil coming out the top of the seals than normal, but it’ll be fine to ride.
    Just service them once you’ve got the replacements to put in.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just to confirm there IS an internal wiper spring, having had a look at a new set today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘schoolboy error, fox wiper seal service.’ is closed to new replies.