Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 216 total)
  • School Hols – how to balance work etc.
  • Kryton57

Nobby, I pretty much do that anyway i.e. Mainly wfh, I start early to ensure I can be with the kids from 4.30 – 7.30 and then often work 7.30 – 9.30 depending on my workload.

If I’m away for work, I’ll work late in a Hotel / remote office to ensure that when I arrive home I have some hours spare to spend with the kids.

In summary then I’ll be able to work something out over the school hols, but not enough to have 3 entire days to spend with Jnr for a six week run.

Anyway, I think we’ve work it out (bearing in mind Mrs K only works part time, roughly speaking;

Week 1 – Holiday in suitable kiddie orientated place (Annual Leave)
    Week 2 – Holiday in suitable kiddie orientated place (Annual Leave)
    Week 3 – 3 days at Kids club
    Week 4 – 3 days at Kids club
    Week 5 – 3 days at Kids club
    Week 6 – 3 days at Kids club

… or thereabouts.

bernard
    Free Member

Molegrips the only thing I ‘suggested’ was we are in our position through planning and hard work not luck. Who mentioned a highly paid job? I said we live within our means to enable one of us not to work. Never said the wife was highly paid

Binners… Yep think pea gravel is my best bet

bernard
    Free Member

Krypton .. apologies for the thread hi jack but for just for clarification I was not judging you on your situation or extolling the virtues of mine. I nearly answered York question … We dealt with the problem by me giving up work, for us the most appropriate solution.

duckman

My wife and I have both given up work over the Summer to care for our kids,we do the same for every school holiday. Then when the holidays end we all go back to school. (sorry,no help at all to the OP,but the weather last couple of weeks even up here is making me especially smug) 😀

tonyg2003

We have taken my niece and nephew on holiday with us for the last 5yrs to help my sister out over the summer hols. It’s been a great way to get to know them better and give our boy a chance to share his holidays. Sadly they are now – too cool for skool – teenagers are not so interested. Although we have over the years got them interested in the outdoors/sports etc… which my sister is 100% not into.

ransos
    Free Member

Who mentioned a highly paid job?

If you can afford to live on one salary, then I suggest you’re not doing too badly. The median UK salary is about £21k IIRC.

bernard
    Free Member

ransos.. I never commented on how ‘well we are doing’ molegrips was ‘putting words in my mouth rather’ than reading what I posted.

Kryton57

Guys – go easy on Bernard – he stated made previous efforts and he’s adjusted his lifestyle to accommodate living a single wage.

Doesn’t mean he’s loaded, none of you know his circumstances.

ransos
    Free Member

ransos.. I never commented on how ‘well we are doing’ molegrips was ‘putting words in my mouth rather’ than reading what I posted.

You were telling us how you could afford your house on one wage. I’m telling you that if this is the case, you’re probably earning pretty well.

ransos
    Free Member

Guys – go easy on Bernard – he stated made previous efforts and he’s adjusted his lifestyle to accommodate living a single wage.

Doesn’t mean he’s loaded, none of you know his circumstances.

Depends what you mean by loaded. As I said earlier, a glance at average house prices and average wages are instructive.

bernard
    Free Member

ransos …. is that right, so theoretically this could not have happened then, when we were both working I could have worked my nut’s off, bought a property at the right time, worked my nuts of doing it up sold it at the right time making some money and relocated to a cheaper location bought within our means and then live within our means of my wifes wage?

Oh and just to clarify one point again the whole living off one wage thing was in response to someone suggesting we are in our position through ‘luck’ I said it was not luck it was hard work and planning

binners

….or a combination of the two? Which is usually the case. Though some have the good grace to acknowledge it, and be thankful. Some don’t.

Would you like to borrow this?….

bernard
    Free Member

binners – nope decided a white loaf would be best.

ransos
    Free Member

“ransos …. is that right, so theoretically this could not have happened then, when we were both working I could have worked my nut’s off, bought a property at the right time, worked my nuts of doing it up sold it at the right time making some money and relocated to a cheaper location bought within our means and then live within our means of my wifes wage?”

Sounds pretty similar to my situation. It remains the case that a) we could only afford a house in the first place because we both earned above average and b) we can only afford the mortgage with one salary because we both earn well.

Perhaps you might like to consider that salaries are not awarded in accordance with how hard you work, and quit the pious moralising.

bernard
    Free Member

ransos .. ‘pious moralising’ where would that be then? maybe you would be so kind as to highlight the particular bit of my posts you beleive that would apply to? I bought my first house (flat) while earning less than average wage just for info.

bernard
    Free Member

‘Perhaps you might like to consider that salaries are not awarded in accordance with how hard you work, and quit the pious moralising.’

I said that did I again please highlight where

molgrips
    Free Member

Molegrips the only thing I ‘suggested’ was we are in our position through planning and hard work not luck.

And I’m saying that there is always an element of luck. You live in a country that provides good opportunities to most people, you presumably aren’t born with a severe mental impairment, mental illness or serious personality flaw. You have natural aptitude for something at least.. That’s what I am talking about.

bought a property at the right time

If that’s not luck, I don’t know what is.

mogrim

I was merely asking how others balance the issues to glean the benefit of thier experience.

I married a teacher. HTH.

ransos
    Free Member

“ransos .. ‘pious moralising’ where would that be then? maybe you would be so kind as to highlight the particular bit of my posts you beleive that would apply to? I bought my first house (flat) while earning less than average wage just for info. “

Yes, and no doubt you bought it many years ago when prices were lower and mortgages were much easier to obtain.

The average house price is £239k, and the average wage is £21k. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that even with the most careful planning and prudence, cutting down hours simply isn’t an option for a great many people.

As I say, this isn’t sour grapes on my part as I’m in a similar situation to you, but I’m able to recognise that there was a large slice of luck about it, rather than pure awesomeness on my part.

binners

ransos .. ‘pious moralising’ where would that be then?

True. Not pious moralising or self-congratulatory posturing at all. Its more of a celebration of your genius, and the no-luck-inolved-here-sonny, pure hard graft, you-too-could-be-like-me-if-only-tried-hard-enough attitude that took you to the not-even-slightly-privileged position you find yourself in, in our famously utopian, opportunity-for-all meritocracy

bernard
    Free Member

“ransos .. ‘pious moralising’ where would that be then? maybe you would be so kind as to highlight the particular bit of my posts you beleive that would apply to?

The average house price is £239k, and the average wage is £21k. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that even with the most careful planning and prudence, cutting down hours simply isn’t an option for a great many people

And where have I commented on anyone elses sitatuion?

molegrips….’If that’s not luck, I don’t know what is’ Why is it luck?

And I’m saying that there is always an element of luck. You live in a country that provides good opportunities to most people, you presumably aren’t born with a severe mental impairment, mental illness or serious personality flaw. You have natural aptitude for something at least.. That’s what I am talking about

Again you are assuming none of those apply to me are you saying the asence of having bad luck is essentially good luck? What about absence of luck?

bernard
    Free Member

binners…no it’s the red pen I think I will use today.

molgrips
    Free Member

molegrips….’If that’s not luck, I don’t know what is’ Why is it luck?

Buying at the right time? Of course it’s luck. House prices being low co-incided with the time you were ready to buy.

are you saying the asence of having bad luck is essentially good luck?

Of course it is.

bernard
    Free Member

Buying at the right time? Of course it’s luck. House prices being low co-incided with the time you were ready to buy.

You are assuming that, you are assuming I didnt wait until the time was right

Of course it is

So everyone is currently in a state of good or bad luck there is no middle ground?

zokes
    Free Member

So everyone is currently in a state of good or bad luck there is no middle ground?

No, most people have a mixture of good and bad luck. It’s really not difficult to comprehend.

bernard
    Free Member

No, most people have a mixture of good and bad luck. It’s really not difficult to comprehend.

Nope what I find hard to comprehend is the way people assume they know about a complete strangers life and can happliy infer that that persons life is the way it is because of ‘luck’ and that overides all other influences as the determining factor of a persons life progression.

And lets just have a little look at what started this it was posted

‘you are lucky you can afford to’

part of my response was to say ‘…it was not luck it was hard work …’

Would you care to highlight where I have said I have not had good luck or been fortunate?

molgrips
    Free Member

Nope what I find hard to comprehend is the way people assume they know about a complete strangers life

No, you misunderstand. I’m not trying to say anything about you personally. What I mean is that for anyone to do well, an element of luck is required. Or if you prefer, you need to avoid bad luck.

I’ve not said people succeed ONLY because of luck. But you need good luck AND hard work, as I said earlier. Some need more luck than others, some need to work harder than others.

bernard
    Free Member

No, you misunderstand. I’m not trying to say anything about you personally. What I mean is that to do well, you need an element of luck. Or if you prefer, you need to avoid bad luck.

I’ve not said people succeed ONLY because of luck. But you need good luck AND hard work, as I said earlier. Some need more luck than others, some need to work harder than others

maybe I have, as above the original post was ‘ you are lucky you can afford to ‘ I hear this alot and as I said it gets on my tit’s it would imply the reason for our cicumstances is down to ‘luck’ it is not, not once did I say I have never had luck but the overiding reason we are in the position is due to the efforts mentioed before. I will not repeat them because certain individuals appear to take offence at this and throw accusations around about my intentions.

bernard
    Free Member

So why are you queuing up to berate him for it? Are you trying to act like parents to a wayward child or something? OP is an adult. What are you expecting? The OP to issue a statement of surrender admitting that you are better than him? Would that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

And again Mr Molegrips if any of this was directed at me I will refer you to my original response.

zokes
    Free Member

You really need to calm down…

bernard
    Free Member

You really need to calm down…

I’m perfectly calm thanks for your concern, maybe a little irked at the accusations thrown my way by certain individuals but other than that I’m fine

zokes
    Free Member

I’m perfectly calm thanks for your concern

You don’t seem it… In fact, you seem somewhat:

irked

bernard
    Free Member

I’m calmly irked I havent even used shouty capitals in any of my posts

ransos
    Free Member

“maybe I have, as above the original post was ‘ you are lucky you can afford to ‘”

You are.

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I[/video]

😀

bernard
    Free Member

“maybe I have, as above the original post was ‘ you are lucky you can afford to ‘”

You are

The previous posts/discussions were mildly entertaining that would just be tedious

ads678

Well I think you’re all being a bit harsh on bernard, the boy’s done well, good luck to him!

Back to the OP though, the missus and I both work 4 day weeks now so that helps a bit with the amount of holidays we get but we still need help from parents and stuff to cover the summer holidays.

Just a word about the holiday clubs though, My lad (5 just finishi9ng reception year) goes to breakfast club and after school club twice a week. This is fine, but a lot of the summer club things they put on are directed at older kids, and I think he wouldn’t like to be there for a full day, let alone most of the week. He loves school but doesn’t get that much out of the before and after school things. Another couple of years time and he’ll probably rather be there playing football than hanging around with the grandparents all the time though.

binners

Well I think you’re all being a bit harsh on bernard, the boy’s done well, good luck to him!

There’s no such thing as luck

😉

zokes
    Free Member

The previous posts/discussions were mildly entertaining that would just be tedious

Possibly unlucky for you then, as I found it mildly amusing – I suppose I’m lucky after all 🙂

bernard
    Free Member

I suppose I’m lucky after all

Not if what your other half told me about you is true

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘School Hols – how to balance work etc.’ is closed to new replies.