Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 216 total)
  • School Hols – how to balance work etc.
  • binners

Scotroutes – are you related to Iain Duncan Smith? Your tone just has a sort of familiar note to it

Kryton57

LOL!

scotroutes

IDS is my twin brother. What are you insinuating?

zokes
    Free Member

Scotroutes – are you related to Iain Duncan Smith?

He is related to druidh

mugsys_m8

STW at it’s best…some shockingly opinionated twunterism on display 🙄

cinnamon_girl

My adult kids know full well that if they have kids then the last person they would ask to babysit would be me. After all, I do have a bike to ride! 😉

rene59
    Free Member

Or did you go through a manci change management phase like the rest of us and sometimes have to deal with these kind of issue. You might not however if you read my OP properly, I am giving myself a year to deal with this, I humbly considered that to be enough….

Eh?

If you give your employer enough notice, they may allow you to change your core working hours for the summer weeks. If your wife asks the same from her employer then that is only three weeks each.

Not all employers are so helpful but worth asking, it is not an unreasonable request.

callous
    Free Member

Personally, I am pretty lucky and work have allowed me to work a late/late shift from 330 ish (when Mrs Callous returns home) until near midnight. So I childcare from the morning to the afternoon and then head to work. It is a long day and by the end of 6 weeks I am the walking dead but I get to spend 6 whole weeks with my boy and that is great.

TiRed

Just don’t take them to work and leave them in the car (there’s always one or two deaths a year 🙁 )

We sent first to grandparents for a week at a time (with day trips to France, no less), nursery continued and Mrs TiRed worked part time. Plus at least one week on holiday (two sometimes). We also used a summer club one summer holiday, but Son1 was really a little old for it. Son2 loved it. Then there was the week long sailing courses. Not cheap, but great fun. They’ll both go again this year.

By mid August, you’ll be looking forward to going back to school 😆

Northwind

Jekkyl is very good at this, that sort of light touch has been lacking lately- well done chap.

shifter
    Free Member

Mine starts in September but I haven’t given summer holidays any consideration whatsoever, that’s not my job.

ransos
    Free Member

I note that some smugly describing their organisational arrangements just seem to be dumping their kids onto their parents. Bravo!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Buy him a briefcase, stitch some leather elbow patches onto his jacket and get him an internship with the management accounts department of the company where you work
    Sorted
    🙂

MoreCashThanDash

It’s a pain in the ass having to sort out the summer holidays, but we have always known it was coming and planned accordingly…..

MrsMCTD works three days a week, with some flexibility. This year she is doing a full five day week this week to get a couple of days credit. I’m having two full weeks off, we are away for the middle of it, I get the kids the rest of the time while she is at work. Think both sets of grandparents are having them for just 2 days each (they are in their 70s now), and that just leaves me a couple more odd days to take off while MrsMCTD works.

We both spend chunks of the Christmas/Easter/half term holidays on leave separately to give us enough leave left for the summer. I have to say, term time only working seems tempting sometimes…..

mrchrispy

Marry a teacher. End of thread!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    My adult kids know full well that if they have kids then the last person they would ask to babysit would be me. After all, I do have a bike to ride!

+1 🙂
    First world problem – parents want kids, but don’t want to give up doing what they want to do, and have to look after their own kids. Not a dig at OP, just modern day parents in general 🙂

moniex
    Free Member

Some of you guys think the british schools days are too short! I am dutch and all primary schools had wednesday afternoons off, and the infant school classes also had friday afternoons off.

Term times more or less the same as here.

Yep, still went to High school at 11/12 ish, all kids in the class being able to read/write/do maths and speak/write a little english. That despite not starting ‘proper’ school till age 6.

School is for educating our children, it’s not a babysitting service! (no I am not a teacher!).

Simone

LadyGresley
    Free Member

School is for educating our children, it’s not a babysitting service!

Exactly!

cinnamon_girl

Girl power. 😆

(that’ll learn ’em)

😀

Harry_the_Spider

You’ve had at least 5 years to think about this…..

Is it the heat or have you always been a knob?

Spot
    Cock
    On

😀

miketually
    Free Member

The long summer break is nothing to do with harvesting. (What gets harvested in August? Nothing.) It’s to match the long summer break taken by the legal profession and parliament – when compulsory education was introduced, we were a pretty urbanised society.

Can’t help you with suggestions for childcare; both of us are teachers 🙂

spooky_b329

Like Rene says, your employer (especially a larger employer) is obliged to consider flexible working for stuff like this.

My company would consider a 9hr 4 day week or even a 12hr 3 day week as fairly reasonable, or home working where the role is suitable. I’m not really up to speed with it but I think they need to prove the request is not compatible with business operations in order to refuse it.

bernard
    Free Member

I gave up work

jekkyl

Lucky you can afford to bernard.

takisawa2

We chose our boys school further afield based on the Sure-Start scheme they have on site.
    Costs us £9.00 a day term time for wraparound care, & the holiday club during school hols works out at about £21 A day. Wife just averaged the total cost for the yr & pays that.

bernard
    Free Member

Jekkyl…. Not really directed at you but it gets on my tits when people say that, my mrs worked really hard at uni and her subsequent career to earn a decent wage, my job was always recession prone so I saved money so I would always have a buffer. When we bought our house etc it was done based on one wage, our spending commitments was based on one wage. It is not luck, it was hard work that enables us to do it. We do not live an extravagant lifestyle, drive fancy cars, go out very often blah blah blah

molgrips
    Free Member

Part of it is luck. If you are born with the aptitude to do well in something that pays well, that is fortune. Plenty of people work their fingers to the bone and still can’t earn enough to buy a house on two salaries never mind one.

I know how lucky I am that my wife does not have to work. Even though it would help a lot if she did.

Anyway this is a stupid argument. The OP did not plan, he knows this. So why are you queuing up to berate him for it? Are you trying to act like parents to a wayward child or something? OP is an adult. What are you expecting? The OP to issue a statement of surrender admitting that you are better than him? Would that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

bernard
    Free Member

Mole grips…rubbish, she worked f..ing hard all through school, uni, job to get where she is. And as for the rest of your post I past no judgment on the op’s position or stated that I am in anyway better than him. So you can politely stick your post where the sun does not shine if any of it is directed at me.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Hire a swedish au pair…

binners

Yeah Molly! I think Bernard needs to give himself a pat on the back (a thought that has clearly never entered his mind) for his admirable protestant work ethic.

He’s a shining example to the rest of us slackers, to whom working hard is a completely alien concept. Especially to the lucky ones like you, young man.

Now go to your room and have a think about what it is you’ve said. Then you can come back and apologise fully

grum
    Free Member

You’ve had at least 5 years to think about this…..
    Is it the heat or have you always been a knob?
    Spot
    Cock
    On

It’s a reasonable point surely. Or is this one of those things where no-one is allowed to question anything to do with parenting for some reason?

Kryton57

Hello, OP here.

So, at least two of the posters here seem to have organised their lives from the ground up based on a six week school holiday. I say congratulations to you.

Unfortunately for me whilst we were busy working, buying a house and having said 2 children I seem to have forgotton to do so. Silly me. Yet however, I’ve still a year to go and based on my own interpretation of my intellect and ability I feel that 1 year is enough time for me to plan ahead and achieve a viable work/life/school balance during the 2014 school holidays. Some of it will be taken up by our annual holiday anyway.

I’m sorry if my formulae for doing so causes passion to rise in some people.

FWIW I live and work in London which is expensive*, am not fortunate enough for my wife to stop working (although nor does she want to). I can work flexibly, but that wasn’t the question I asked. I was merely asking how others balance the issues to glean the benefit of thier experience.

I sincerely wish you all a very nice day 🙂

*I realise this is a choice and I could move to the country side near Leeds and raise sheep for less blah de blah….

binners

I think amongst the lofty, sanctimonious, self-congratulatory moral pontificating sound and helpful advice, a lot of people seem to have missed that the OP isn’t talking about these summer holidays, starting this week, but the ones in 12 months time.

Maybe that got obscured, possibly by clouds, when trying to read it from a particularly high equine saddle. Its understandable.

ransos
    Free Member

When we bought our house etc it was done based on one wage,

Look at average house prices, the average wage, and then come back and apologise.

zokes
    Free Member

And for all those going “one of you should give up work”… Even if it was financially possible, have you not perhaps thought that the OP or his SO might actually quite enjoy their careers.

In our case, were we to sprog, even though I probably do earn enough to run the house without my wife contributing, she doesn’t. Which basically means if all you aloof horse riders had your way, she’d be forced to give up her career. She doesn’t earn less than me because she’s less good at her job than me, or that it’s less worthwhile (quite the opposite, on both counts probably), her career pays less, and careers in caring always will pay less, especially in the third sector.

I could give up my job to look after said sprog, but then we’d have nowhere to live. I’m glad your lives are so much more straightforward.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Maybe that got obscured, possibly by clouds, when trying to read it from a particularly high equine saddle. Its understandable.

And through the fog of zero experience but a desire to offer advice or criticism anyway. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

And for all those going “one of you should give up work”… Even if it was financially possible, have you not perhaps thought that the OP or his SO might actually quite enjoy their careers.

In our case, were we to sprog, even though I probably do earn enough to run the house without my wife contributing, she doesn’t. Which basically means if all you aloof horse riders had your way, she’d be forced to give up her career. She doesn’t earn less than me because she’s less good at her job than me, or that it’s less worthwhile (quite the opposite, on both counts probably), her career pays less, and careers in caring always will pay less, especially in the third sector.

I could give up my job to look after said sprog, but then we’d have nowhere to live. I’m glad your lives are so much more straightforward.

+1.

Except in my case, my wife earns more than me. We’ve both made adjustments in our jobs so we can be at home more with the nipper, but she’s never expected me to give up my job.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mole grips…rubbish, she worked f..ing hard all through school, uni, job to get where she is.

You need ability AND hard work. More of the former requires less of the latter. However if you haven’t got any ability in anything saleable, you’re out of luck.

If you are suggesting that ANYONE can obtain a highly paid job by working hard, then you are dead wrong. Sounds like your wife has worked hard, and that’s great. However, hard work is not the only thing you need to succeed.

Kryton57

If you are suggesting that ANYONE can obtain a highly paid job by working hard, then you are dead wrong. Sounds like your wife has worked hard, and that’s great. However, hard work is not the only thing you need to succeed.

This is true. I reached a glass ceiling because my political ability is crap tbh, which in our organisation is not sustainable at Director level. That may be morally wrong, but its the way things are.

I liken it to older style Army Captains and Generals that buy thier way in to position vs the wizend Sargeant Major whose been through a lifetime of campaigns with the troops and has been promoted upwards from the ranks. I see myself as the latter.

Nobby

Kryton, not sure if this is feasible for you but friends of Mrs Nobby’s have revised their working lives to fit their first summer holiday season since their lad started school.

Dad is starting his 9-5 at 7.30 with a 30 min lunch break & finishing at 5pm – but only 4 days a week, i.e. he does his weekly contracted hours with a day to spare, and no longer works on Fridays.

Mum is working 3 days a week (has been since returning to work after Jr was born).

Grandparents & an aunt are helping out one day each week (alternately).

This means that between them they only need to use a days leave per week to have everything covered (in addition to their 2 week family holiday).

Not sure all employers would be happy with the dad’s arrangement (his is permanent/all year) but maybe felxible enough for the period in question. He’s done it on an annual basis so take into account all the opther school holidays too – apparently he can even have his Good Friday bank holiday on the Thursday.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 216 total)

The topic ‘School Hols – how to balance work etc.’ is closed to new replies.