Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • School bike project – ideas please.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I got involved in setting up a project at a local school. Sort of bike activities for the difficult teenagers. Question: where can I get cheap tool boxes? I need 4 of them delivered to me within a week of ordering. Also a stand or two. Which ones and from where? Oil, grease etc too.
    Can anybody help?
    Cheers!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member
    trailmonkey

Ask your LBS's to get involved and see what they can provide.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    case
    Free Member

Agreed with Trailmonkey – see if a local bike shop is willing to supply the stuff to you at cost in exchange for a nice publicity photo in the local paper

Irish_AL
    Free Member

Were you based? I currently run several projects for schools and community groups in leicestershire, if you need any advice or suggestions drop me a line. However in the mean time I would suggest buying the best tools you can for the money you have, some of the cheaper kits are not worth the effort as you will end up replacing quiet quickly, also bear in mind alot of these tools tend to go walkies ( I work with similar client groups as your target group ) spoke keys for some reason tend to be the favourite. Talk to suppliers eg madison, walkers etc if you explain what you are doing most in many instances they are more than happy to help at good prices and it cuts out the middle man of your local LBS. If it takes off dont forget the big lottery fund more than happy to support local community groups. Hope that all makes some sort of sense, if you need any more help etc drop me a line, could even supply you with basic cycle repair lesson plans if you want to have a look at them.

Alan

Hairychested
    Free Member

Alan, big thank you for that, can you email me that plan by any chance please?
    TM, they're idiots. Not a chance 🙁

mugsys_m8

Hairy,

They might be idiots, but look at it this way: If the scheme really takes off, and gets loads of publicity, then the LBS might be a bit miffed if they weren't given the chance. If you ask them, they decline, and it really takes off, well that's going to make them feel stupid isn't it when they miss out on all the publicity. So maybe making them think about themselves.

You might stand to win something. They might stand to win something, the scheme might get to win something. Give them the chance.

Trekster

Tools and maint tips
    http://www.parktool.com/

http://www.pedros.com/

For tools and boxes Halfords pro tools get good reviews and they have a good selection of boxes as do B&Q, Homebase, machine mart etc.

Bike stand = wiggle, crc or edinburgh bike co. I have Sealy one chosen for it`s stability

Hairychested
    Free Member

Mugsys_M8, you're right, I'll give them a chance and talk to them tomorrow.
    Trekster – too expensive for what I need (although not too costly for me myself).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘School bike project – ideas please.’ is closed to new replies.