Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • School Appeals Panel tomorrow
  • theotherjonv

Any tips?

I’ve read and reread the papers they’ve given me, and the original submission we made about why we were appealing. As I understand it, anything I say on the day *should* now be restricted to the points we made in the appeal submission or by follow up prior to this point (although the panel may allow other submissions if they feel like it). Not that materially I have much to add to what’s been submitted, just that occasionally in work meetings / presentations I might spot an angle and want to go explore…..

TBH their submission is pretty black and white; we’re full, we can’t add any more class space, if we admit more kids then it’s to the detriment of all the others…… seems like they’re positioning that it’s all a bit of a waste of time. Might be different if there was a procedural discrepancy but I can’t see one of those.

So, suit and tie job? Argumentative, or pleading? Anyone been to one before, how did you play it, how did it go?

ransos
    Free Member

TBH their submission is pretty black and white; we’re full, we can’t add any more class space, if we admit more kids then it’s to the detriment of all the others…… seems like they’re positioning that it’s all a bit of a waste of time. Might be different if there was a procedural discrepancy but I can’t see one of those.

Unless they’ve failed to follow their criteria, or there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. you have twins, and admitting both takes them over the class size limit) then I fear you’re going to be up against it.

wwaswas

We appealed when our daughter was refused a place moving from infants to juniors (end of year 2). We were given same reasons about numbers of places.

We majored on ‘group of friends’, ‘she’s the only one in her class not given a place’.

The actual panel was more of a chat with the panel and us pleading our case. Bloke from the council really just went through the motions.

She got a place via the appeals panel.

But even if you don’t, don’t forget they’ll often get places become available between allocation being done and term starting as people move away etc – we got a place at our preferred secondary for her through this mechanism – she was just on the list when they went through and reallocated places that hadn’t been taken up – we got about a week’s notice before term started.

nemesis
    Free Member

I was in the same position and didn’t expect to get anything out of it but wanted to try. As expected, we got nothing out of it, unfortunately.

The argument I used was that it was reasonable to expect to get into one of your three choices when those three were the closest to where we lived (eg we hadn’t done something silly like apply only to ‘outstanding schools’ nowhere near where we lived). Given that we got none of those three, the decision therefore must be unreasonable. That was about the best I could come up with as they had clearly applied the criteria correctly otherwise.

No suit and tie for me but nothing scruffy to avoid putting anyone too conservative’s noses out of joint.

Good luck though.

Bregante

Yes, about 10 years ago. Successful too but in my case it was for a place at a church school which is widely recognised as the best school in the area where my son lives with his mum. They also argued that they were full/detriment to the others etc and said we had missed out because my lad hadn’t been to church regularly enough in the past two years (they had checked)
    I argued that was because he spent most weekends with me and I was keen to point out that as a committed atheist I was set to take him down the path to enlightenment. They took 5 minutes to decide and welcomed him with open arms. 🙂
    Definite suit job in our case and my ex and I managed to present a united front (only time in 20 years!)
    I suppose my point is that there is usually a way but you do need some justification, not just that it’s not fair/is your preferred school.

Stay calm. Good luck.

theotherjonv

Actually not an unpleasant experience. Panel were diligent, asked the right questions, the HM pleading the case on behalf of the school was excellent and despite being ‘on opposite sides’ I had a bit of a joke with him as part of it. Definitely cemented my opinion that he is the HM that i want running my daughter’s education.

After we’d done he walked out with me and I said that he must hate doing three days of appeals; he said it was all part of the job and if he had space he’d take as many as he could, as he too believes his school provides the best educational experience in the area.

Sadly; didn’t make any difference, we’re getting what we’ve been given. Unless I can identify and pay / bump off 12 kids in the meantime and get us up to the top of the waiting list.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘School Appeals Panel tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.