Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Schliglachan skye
  • keli1
    Free Member

Done this ride in 2011 oct set off at 12 noon wat was way to late ,done route clockwise from hotel , anyway to cut it short no one seems to mention the three river crossings . We couldn’t cross the 2nd last one 4 mile or so from hotel , it was now 6pm our mistake , which we made lots on that day ,was we waded and searched for 3hrs to cross river realising we couldn’t cross we decided to ditch bikes and walk back along track to a bothy 5mile or so back , I had a little Aldi light wat was obviously not up for the task but worked well even after me getting swept away at one point in the rising burns , wat wer now up to a metre deep at some points, anyway with back injured and due only to the fact our other three members had proper Mtb lights we managed to return to bothy , 1st light we walked back to bikes ,we managed in light to get across river and headed back . Don’t try this in heavy rain these streams fill up very quickly and in no time at all ,a good adventure can turn life threatening , mountain rescue had been called but they started search in opposite glen , going to do it again this year but will do in summer with plenty of light and we’ll take note more of weather , much more prepared now when we tackle some epics due to this experience .

matt_outandabout

*takes deep breath*

grum
    Free Member

Paragraphs would make that much easier to read.

River crossings can be an issue pretty much anywhere in Scotland, especially in heavy rain – that’s fairly basic knowledge for those going out in the ‘wilderness’. Sounds like you weren’t really prepared. How come mountain rescue were called?

matt_outandabout

much more prepared now when we tackle some epics due to this experience .

*is pleased*

leffeboy

I would guess that someone else called them because the group hadn’t come home?

BoardinBob

Random Sunday post.

You did it in Oct 11 and decided randomly in Jan 13 to post about it? 😆

keli1
    Free Member

I was ment to be back in morning , so alarm was raised at 7.30am , sorry about writing not best at this hence reason not posted over year . We weren’t prepared we know that now but just trying to give some warning if anyone tries this. We cycled through burn 5 hrs prior to it sweeping me away later, so changeable

keli1
    Free Member

Never done post until now lol always read on net articles on cycling and never once read anyone else having trouble on this route hence reason to post

Ticklinjock

Good on ya for making the effort to make folks aware of this Keli1. Those steep sided glens with spate rivers can be challenging. I’ve gone through some highland tributaries that were ankle deep and 20 minutes later, on the way back, were raging at over a metre deep and uncrossable.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Meh – never met a highland trib in spate that couldnt be crossed by walking upstream a bit.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Maybe better doing it anti clockwise then, get the tricky sections out of the way first! Did the slig glen this year as an out and back from the hotel. Pretty knackering as it”s techy and physical, great fun!

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Meh – never met a highland trib in spate that couldnt be crossed by walking upstream a bit.

Or by using a bridge, many of which don’t appear on maps because of the troll danger.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Nah – it’s not a troll. Highland tribs have tiny catchment areas. So there’s rarely a need to go far uphill to find a safe place to cross. Those places where you would have to go any distance tend to have bridges.

felltop

glupton1976 – you can’thave much experience of the wilds of the Highlands… There are many BIG rivers that have no bridge. Walk a short distance upstream? Frequently over 1,000ft of ascent, through crags etc…..

keli1 – go and learn to read a map, read up on the kit you need to look after yourself on an epic. Look at what people carry when walking in the hills. There’s a tendency to refer to them as “bobble hats” or other such terms, but whose laughing when you trash your bike 10 miles from the car and become a walker, just like them – but not as well equipped to cope.

lucien

I reckon we should let Darwin do his bit, and apply the rules…

boxelder

Anyone know the craic about the big house near the Camusonary bothy?
    Rode this last April and the 4/5 bed house was open, but empty and more than a bit spooky. Bothy was inhabited.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not much experiance in the highlands at all despite a cv that reads countryside ranger glencoe for a number of years 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Felltop – can you tell me where one of those “BIG rivers” passes through crags 1000ft up a hill? Because I cant think of one.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sounds like you had an adventure and a very educating experience. This is a good thing!

glupton1976
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

Nah – it’s not a troll. Highland tribs have tiny catchment areas. So there’s rarely a need to go far uphill to find a safe place to cross. Those places where you would have to go any distance tend to have bridges.

hmmm, come and walk round here for a bit, ideally tomorrow.

Edit: that was grumpy. I agree, a lot you can walk a couple of km upstream and find a crossing. Problem is that is 4km over rough, flooded ground with wet feet…

glupton1976
    Free Member

MOAB – 4km over rough flooded ground with wet feet is better than being benighted, being late back and everything that accompanies that.

And there is certainly no excuse for getting benighted on the Sligachan route no matter how ill prepared you are kit wise.

chickenman

This requires a Sean Connery voice over, something like “and sho they shet shail for Schligachan”! 😀

My missus can’t pronounce the german word Schloss; I piss myself everytime she tries..shlosh is her best attempt to date!

boxelder

I think it’s fallen into a bit of disrepair since they were asking £650/week! Or is the whole booking thing tongue in cheek?

matt_outandabout

glupton – I think I am suggesting that ‘proper’ Scottish hills (and drainage and lack of bridges and lack of ‘proper’ paths etc) sometimes take many by surprise if they are used to the Lakes, lowland Scotland etc…

The OP’s (lack) of experience, preparation and knowledge shows this.

keli1
    Free Member

We stayed in big house the older couple wer ther doing work , they have no electricity no phone but the life saver was they had hot running water . We done research after and seemingly mountain rescue had been out 2 yr previous for Norwegian walkers who had managed to cross first river then got stuck at 2nd . They then couldn’t get back over first. Difference was they had checked into hotel so alarm was raised sooner

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Schliglachan skye’ is closed to new replies.