Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • schehallion
  • yetidave
    Free Member

Is it ridable, up the path marked on os maps from the north east? I have a few hours available in the morning if weather suitable for a bit of a ride.

ton

don’t know about the hill, but the ale is fantastic…….. 8)

yetidave
    Free Member

Sorry wrong forum

yetidave
    Free Member

So up the hill then beer o’clock?

piemonster

You could certainly ride down most of it, the uppermost section is a boulder field iirc. You may have the skillz, but I certainly wouldn’t.

I’d anticipate a fair bit of pushing going up.

matt_outandabout

Lower = totally rideable.
    Middle = chuffing steep, rideable down or if your name starts with Danny and ends in Macaskill.
    Start of ridge = rideable.
    Summit ridge area = chuff me that is rocky, and pretty unrideable IMO, unless you are the aforementioned. (@800m distance or so).
    TOTALLY worth doing though. Have fun and post some pics.
    Bottom:

schiehallion by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Middle:

schiehallion by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Start of summit ridge:

Schiehallion by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Summit:

(the fun way!)

yetidave
    Free Member

OK, weather (fog forecast for am and rain later) depending will have a look, hope to get above fog!. Thanks for photos of what to expect mat. May leave the bike for a bit and scout to top and ride the rest. I am no mcaskil, and on my own..

Ta

Dave

toys19
    Free Member

it is bloody tasty. One of the things that eases the pain of being away from my brood..

matt_outandabout

weather (fog forecast for am and rain later)

So p*ss*ng it down all day then…

piemonster

Cheers for posting those photos Matt. I’ve been up there twice, but not seen owt due to the clag.

matt_outandabout

^ I have been up half a dozen times, and that is the only time with a view!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

A pal of mine won a years supply of Schiehallion! Bloody tasty ale that! There’s better Munros in the area to ride unless it’s a bagging thing you’re doing. Rain arriving from the SW later in the day so id be up and down before it arrives if I were you. Think I’d head to Ben Vorlich myself.

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

It appeared to be mostly a big pile of pebbles IIRC. Big ankle-snapping sized pebbles.

globalti
    Free Member

Be careful. There’s plenty of “over the bars” potential there and that’s how my mate killed himself on Skiddaw last month. Broke his neck, riding solo, body found by rescue dog at 3.30 am.

yetidave
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your friend globalti, I am sure you will all be pleased to here I was careful and made it back before the rain.

Will post pics up later for what its worth, cloud base was about 1700ft, so not much to see!

I left the bike at the first big cairn and prob missed out on some nice riding, but the wind was kinda blowing by that stage and not worth trying to ride. I need to brush up on my step technique as bottled it on some of the bigger sections.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘schehallion’ is closed to new replies.