Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Sceptics & spooky experiences?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Nonsense, it fascinates everyone, even those of us who don’t believe it.

Nobody force anyone to believe. 😛

There have been innumerable tests done with people who claim to have ESP etc.

Meaningless. If we have all the knowledge then we would live longer …

If it existed, it would be very easy to prove.

Do we posses all the knowledge?

woffle
    Free Member

I guess the whole monk flaming is to be expected 🙂

TBH sceptical of the whole thing but that’s what we were told – chatting to the neighbour who kindly neglected to tell us any of this, their breakfasting ghost included, until long after we’d moved out. They’d done extensive research apparently. But there we go – the house supposedly used to be part of a cloisters complex around the church, which in turn linked to the local abbey just down the road…

outofbreath
    Free Member

I guess the whole monk flaming is to be expected

All good natured bantz.

bencooper
    Free Member

Lots of times.

Exploring a derelict factory, in a large room with a suspended ceiling, and suddenly there was a scratching sound above me. then another from a different direction. Then loud scratching sounds from all over. All I could think about was that scene in Aliens where they’re above the ceiling. It was pigeons.

Exploring places at night, often see human shapes. Get closer and they turn into trees or pillars or something.

Walked into a room in an abandoned hotel, and didn’t realise there was a full-length mirror behind the door – damn near gave myself a heart attack.

Basically, what I’m saying is that I’ve had lots of experiences which could be considered spooky if I hadn’t stayed to investigate and work out they’re tricks of the mind.

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

my experience – a while back I used to get “people” shouting me up to go to work

chewkw hears voices.
    Why does this not surprise me?[/quote]
    The difference between mine and the other type is that I explained to them that I didn’t have to work weekend so they stopped waking me up on weekends. 😆

So presumably since this was happening every day to you, you were able to record these spectral shouts on your phone or even a tape?

It did not happen everyday but for sometimes. I doubt you can tape it because it sounds like someone is shouting beside your ear. 😛

woffle – Member
    I guess the whole monk flaming is to be expected

Yes from them but not from me. 😀

bencooper – Member
    Basically, what I’m saying is that I’ve had lots of experiences which could be considered spooky if I hadn’t stayed to investigate and work out they’re tricks of the mind.

The question is why are you spooked if you don’t believe in such thing? 😯

I mean common sense suggests that if you don’t believe in such thing, no amount of sounds etc would spook you. Unless you are expecting someone trying to do you harm. 😮

For example, if when I entered a jungle I am normally spooked by the plants or leafs that I brushed pass, not because I am afraid of the vegetation but what awaits me on the vegetation …. Tiger leech … 😆

jakehinton
    Free Member

The shouting in your ear…. That’s called exploding head syndrome, had the same thing with someone shouting my name in my ear really loudly as i drifted off.
    The pub i work in is meant to be haunted, often think someone is in the room with you. Weirdest thing was a shot measure jumping about 3 foot from the back of the bar with no one anywhere near it.

neilthewheel

We were lying in bed one night.
    “Meow!” said our cat…
    ….six hours after we’d had her put down at the vets….

chewkw
    Free Member

jakehinton – Member
    The shouting in your ear…. That’s called exploding head syndrome, had the same thing with someone shouting my name in my ear really loudly as i drifted off.

They did not call my name but rather I heard them say “… get up …”, or loud “Hey!” … 😆

neil the wheel – Member
    We were lying in bed one night.
    “Meow!” said our cat…
    ….six hours after we’d had her put down at the vets….

Animal do come back for a visit to say the last goodbye. 😛

Drac

Unless you are expecting someone trying to do you harm.

There you go.

trevh
    Free Member

Last November in the Lake District driving from hawkeshead to coniston late evening and going down the winding narrow roads. I drive an old CRV so quite high up another vehicle coming up so braked sharpish and pulled in to let him pass. Said to wife shit nearly hit that bloke. She Said what bloke. Told her when I stopped there was a face in the passenger window could even describe hat he was wearing thought I could have hit him. She hadn’t seen anyone and it was pitch black outside. You would have thought anyone walking would have a torch or high viz on. Didn’t get out the car but backed up the road a bit so I could get a good look. All I could see was stone wall no where for anyone to disappear to. I’ve encountered mountain bikers out at that time before but there usually lit up like a Christmas tree. I’m not easily fazed but it creeped me out a bit I said to misus that it must have been mine or her reflection. Wife suggested a sheep ( it would have needed to be a bloody tall sheep)

bencooper
    Free Member

The question is why are you spooked if you don’t believe in such thing?
    I mean common sense suggests that if you don’t believe in such thing, no amount of sounds etc would spook you. Unless you are expecting someone trying to do you harm.

It’s the startle reaction, it’s automatic – just like seeing human figures out of the corner of your eye in the dark is an automatic brain response trying to put patterns to insufficient data.

chewkw
    Free Member

trevh – Member
    Wife suggested a sheep ( it would have needed to be a bloody tall sheep)

Yeap, a sheep with a hat. 😆

The hat is clue of where the person comes from.

… or must be a weresheep … 😛

bencooper – Member
    It’s the startle reaction, it’s automatic – just like seeing human figures out of the corner of your eye in the dark is an automatic brain response trying to put patterns to insufficient data.

Interesting … hmmm … I thought it’s the opposite. i.e. I mean just let them be if there is not enough information.

GrahamS

I doubt you can tape it because it sounds like someone is shouting beside your ear.

I’m confused – why wouldn’t you be able to record a sound that is like someone shouting?

For the record, I sometimes used to hear my dear old mum’s voice telling me to get up when I was half awake in the morning, just like she was waking me for school. Very clearly her voice and words.

Spooky. But being a massive sceptic I was happy to dismiss that as an auditory hallucination or dream, rather than her ghost. Mostly because my mum is very much alive.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am a sceptic but still can’t explain who the lady who walked past me in my house was – I was alone at the time. Or so I thought…..

nevisthecat
    Free Member

Unless someone can come up with an alternative to the laws of thermodynamics, then ghosts cannot exist.

Drac

I am a sceptic but still can’t explain who the lady who walked past me in my house was – I was alone at the time. Or so I thought….

We’ve all woken up to find a strange female walking out of the bathroom and unexplained ectoplasm coming out of mouths for a few hours.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Mostly because my mum is very much alive.

The idea of Ghosts being the dead is an English Cultural thing. In Scotland ghosts were ofter considered to be of live people – often premonitions of their death.

dissonance

No thats the wrong question.
    The natural instinct to over pattern recognise and think the worse is in all of us. It was a rather handy adaption in the past since recognising a snake when there wasnt one was generally better than stepping on one.
    The difference is whether you decide its ghosts or just over reactive imagination.
    Once it fires off though it can be hard to suppress. Once I was out on a bimble in twilight and got a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye, probably a bat. However then my subconcious decided it was a threat and went into full paranoia mode trying to spot a big scary creature.
    Go out at night into the woods and sit for a half hour or so. You will start seeing people standing where twenty mins early there was a just a tree (you might also hear a rabbit getting some bad news which can really trigger a need for new pants).

Drac

you might also hear a rabbit getting some bad news which can really trigger a need for new pants

Is that when Dr Brown Bear tells them they have mixi?

It is quiet heartbreaking.

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    I’m confused – why wouldn’t you be able to record a sound that is like someone shouting?

Can you record all sounds in this world? 😆

teamhurtmore – Member
    I am a sceptic but still can’t explain who the lady who walked past me in my house was – I was alone at the time. Or so I thought…..

Ya, that’s a spirit … check the history of your house or the location. Should be fun. Challenge her to frighten you see if that will happen. 😛

nevisthecat – Member
    Unless someone can come up with an alternative to the laws of thermodynamics, then ghosts cannot exist.

Within the confine of your definition or knowledge nothing exist. The world was once flat too … 😀

dissonance – Member

No thats the wrong question.
    The natural instinct to over pattern recognise and think the worse is in all of us. [/quote] You have fear because your mind is corrupted. e.g. an innocence child does not fear anything because the child’s mind is pure.

Go out at night into the woods and sit for a half hour or so. You will start seeing people standing where twenty mins early there was a just a tree (you might also hear a rabbit getting some bad news which can really trigger a need for new pants).

I will probably fall asleep soundly unless there are mosquitoes, leeches, ticks, centipede, biting flies or scorpions (far east jungle), in which case they scare the shite out of me … 😆 Sleeping in the woods? No. I fear creepy crawlies … 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Sceptics & spooky experiences?’ is closed to new replies.