Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Scary overtake from Team Sky bus driver (NSFW language)
  • piemann
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been done already.
    Just. terrible. Driving.

Squeaky bum time

The guy is rightly furious!

C’mon Team Sky, cyclists should be able to expect much more than this from you.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As expected from a bus driver, the fact that he works for a cycling team is neither here nor there.

xcgb
    Free Member

Maybe he was pumped up on EPO

Is a shit bit of driving though, he forces the truck to stop

Send the footage to Sky or if they don’t respond its tabloid time!

Sky bus kills cyclist is a PR nightmare……

xcgb
    Free Member

the fact that he works for a cycling team is neither here nor there.

It is really though

benp1

That is shocking driving

nedrapier

Decent overtake from the team car just behind. You’d hope Drive’s already in for a bollocking at that point.

AlexSimon

They’ve already responded on Twitter.

What is shown in the video is unacceptable and we are sorry. We’ve already spoken to the driver and we’ll be discussing…

this with him again in more detail. We will also be speaking to all staff and reminding them of their responsibilities.

Please could you direct message us your contact details Andy so we can get in touch. Thank you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

At least he might get a free bike off them.

tthew

As expected from a bus driver

I don’t agree with that. Bus drivers and truck divers are better trained and it’s liable to affect their jobs if they have a serious incident.

Of course, you get bell ends in these professions too, and the consequences can be serious due to the size of the vehicle, but on average HGV’s and PSV’s are OK by me.

plus-one

Andy’s getting some free rapha kit 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t agree with that

That’s up to you but from personal experience on my commute just about every bus driver fails to give enough passing space, has to pass you then pull in at the bus stop, etc, etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for bus drivers generally being a bit rubbish.

Not necessarily that they’re bad drivers, but the combination of a long vehicle, under powered, in residential areas or narrow roads (i.e where people live/work, not main roads which cyclists may avoid anyway), and a timetable to stick to generally means they’re considerably over represented in the number of crap overtakes.

aP
    Free Member

RATP Dev London bus drivers are pretty good, I know that they take complaints seriously.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think the problem with bus drivers is that because they have a lot of experience in driving a large vehicle the may be over confident with their over takes, they believe it’s safe because that’s what they’ve always done and never knocked anyone off, the problem is that the cyclist that they’re squeezing past doesn’t have that same level of confidence in the drivers ability.

legend
    Free Member

Shit driving there.

His tweet lost me a bit when he announced “this needs to go viral” though 🙄

mt
    Free Member

Perhaps there was a certain R Murdoch at the wheel, he can get away with anything.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

for bus drivers generally being a bit rubbish.

I don’t know, recently I have actually though that HGV driving has improved dramatically, I find them much more considerate. I find car drivers much less so

His tweet lost me a bit when he announced “this needs to go viral” though

That’s when he started thinking about shiny new bikes 😀

brakes
    Free Member

RATP

aka rat-pee.
    worst name for a bus company ever.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t know, recently I have actually though that HGV driving has improved dramatically, I find them much more considerate.

Along the same lines as my last post, and Gary_M, it may just be that they don’t spend so much time overtaking cyclists in rush hour traffic because they’re on the motorway 90% of the time, so are less inclined to try. Whereas bus drivers must overtake 10’s or 100’s of cyclists each shift so get into a habit of bullying and/or complacency.

Flaperon

My experience is that lorry drivers are generally very considerate towards cyclists – bus drivers, on the other hand, and particularly London bus drivers, are a very mixed bunch.

Flooring it as soon as the door is closed but before anyone’s sat down or grabbed a rail is traditional, as is braking hard from 40mph to a standstill while people are getting up from their seats to leave.

chakaping
    Free Member

Flooring it as soon as the door is closed but before anyone’s sat down or grabbed a rail is traditional, as is braking hard from 40mph to a standstill while people are getting up from their seats to leave.

Why do you think they do this, out of interest?

My guess is unrealistic and stressful timetable targets placed on them by privatised bus firms.

Clip in video is a shocker, someone’s gonna be getting their P45 over that.

richmtb

FFS, that’s pretty bad. There’s not much scarier as a cyclist than a close overtake like that from a long vehicle

Dickyboy

Looks like the coach forced the tanker coming the other way into a stand still too! Not that different to overtakes round this neck of the woods.

wifes text to me this morning “lovely cycle, no dodgy over takers, have a good day” shows just how prevalent it is 🙁

nedrapier

Flooring it as soon as the door is closed but while still indicating left and before anyone’s sat down or grabbed a rail is traditional,

larkim
    Free Member

In a spirit of conciliation, I’m sure I’m not alone in having made at least one mistake whilst driving (though I don’t drive buses or anything larger than a family car). It could be the case that this driver has just made his one, in an otherwise blemish-free driving career.

Having said that, I bet Sky’s drivers have all received a memo this morning – and nothing wrong with that.

chakaping
    Free Member

FAO BBC Sport sub-editors…

Team Sky apologise to amateur cyclist almost knocked over by bus

Should read “almost reduced to a pulp by bus”.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thats about as close as it gets 😯

In most jobs if you come very close to killing someone at work you’d be looking at disciplinary action / re-training / dismissal etc.

martinhutch

That is fricking outrageous.

postierich
    Free Member

Scary needs sending on a driving awareness course!
    I,ve had a few near misses with buses but always been able to explain their wrong doings further down the road!

simmy
    Free Member

Disgusting driving.

It’s no defence, but that Sky Bus is left hand drive and it looks like a left hander coming up so I’m guessing he has not had full vision, gone stupidly for the overtake, seen the tanker then become a tanker himself by getting too close.

Not good at all.

Rod Ellingworth was the passenger in that team car on Tuesday, wonder if he was in it on this occasion and had full view of what happened ? Would be interesting explaining the Bus drivers actions to Sir Dave….

PrinceJohn

Real shame that the conflict of interest in ownership won’t result in this getting picked up by the tabloids.

MoreCashThanDash

In most jobs if you come very close to killing someone at work you’d be looking at disciplinary action / re-training / dismissal etc.

Which seems to be what Sky will be doing, based on their response.

Shocking piece of driving, shockingly not that rare, but at least the employers seem to be taking action.

Step away from the pitchforks!

Northwind

legend – Member

His tweet lost me a bit when he announced “this needs to go viral” though

Why? It gets stuff done.

postierich – Member

Scary needs sending on a driving awareness course!

Needs more than that tbh, that was basic incompetence

project
    Free Member

Tri axle coaches like the Sky coach are the longest coaches allowed on the road, theres also the extra weight and slower maximum speed than normal 2 axle coaches.

That said the driver made a mistake nobody got hurt, driver has been repremanded and probably feels well told off, and on the same day i followed a lotto jumbo team coach from Mold to Denbigh,along narrow snakeing roads, the driver of the tri axle coach drove with skill and at at a sensible speed all the way.

aracer
    Free Member

Are you suggesting the driver meant to stay out in the middle of the road giving the cyclist lots of space, but accidentally pulled in a lot closer than he meant to?

matt_outandabout

Perhaps the same chap could have a word with Scottish cycling about how thier logo’d up cars are parked and driven. Overtaking in 30 zones, overtakes on the Perbles road causing oncoming drivers to flash, parked on double yellows round junctions so blocking sight lines….

Junkyard
    Free Member

that is stunningly bad even forces the other vehicle to stop its that bad

I am not sure what the solution is but when a cycling team bus gets driven like that you realise just how screwed we are on the roads 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

larkim – Member
    In a spirit of conciliation, I’m sure I’m not alone in having made at least one mistake whilst driving (though I don’t drive buses or anything larger than a family car). It could be the case that this driver has just made his one, in an otherwise blemish-free driving career.

I made a mistake at work (you know only one…) where I mistyped a formula in excel. That is one that can slide as it were. It’s not in the same ball park as driving mistakes that could have killed somebody. In any other situation putting somebodies life in danger is a big thing. While driving it’s just something that happens.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Scary overtake from Team Sky bus driver (NSFW language)’ is closed to new replies.