Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Scary american, scary paranoid, scary proprer mashed up people around…
  • Tiger6791

I lost my Leatherman, gonna buy a new one online searched Youtube for a review a few clicks on and found this video.

Search Youtube for EDC (Every day carry) and prepared to be scared…. 😐

This guy for his trip to Disneyland takes …

2 knives Rambo would be proud to own
    a hidden knife,
    a police baton,
    a punching you in the face thing,
    a ‘tactical’ pen
    and 2 torches

to go to DisneyLand…….

He must be very scared of Dwarves!!

Thankfully he left the gun at home due to wifey pressure and he knows what acquiesce means so that’s all good.

RoterStern
    Free Member

😯

Hobster
    Free Member

That is scarily not right. Tactical pen wtf?

thegreatape
    Free Member

WTF is a tactical pen?

And he must be some size what with all that huffing and puffing he was doing just lifting stuff off a table!

montylikesbeer

septic tanks are all the same, nutters one and all

Cougar

Yeah, I discovered EDC a few years ago. There’s a website for it. Some of it is quite uesful, in so far as some people are really creative about what they pack and how (which is how I came across it). Some people are just paranoid sociopaths though.

Cougar
    thegreatape
    Free Member

So a tactical pen is just a small pen?

boblo
    Free Member

Cretin

Stoner
    Free Member

that site reminds me, Ive always wanted one of these:

I usually never go anywhere without a small carabiner, but also like to have a lanyard as well. This would be handy instead. I usually cycle with a very small pack or a saddlebag and having a carabiner and lanyard means I can buy something and be able to attach it to the bag.

molgrips
    Free Member

Americans are not all nutters, of course – we don’t start threads about the normal ones on STW, do we?

However – there is an element of ‘might is right’ in US culture that seems to draw in many people, particularly young males. If you watch a lot of films you can see the ones that include this idea.

Like A Bug’s Life, for instance. Cute animated movie, perhaps, but it’s all about violence, and the day is won in the end by the goodies through more violence

Tiger6791

Americans are not all nutters, of course

Nobody has said that they are (the title is singular). 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

montylikesbeer did:

septic tanks are all the same, nutters one and all

Tiger6791

Fair enough, didn’t actually understand that but have applied a bit of nouse and rhyming slang and worked it out.

Tiger6791

This would be handy instead

Bit of a use once type job though. Imaging coiling it back up again

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Are you talking about me?

Tiger6791

You’re not American are you?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No.

{like I’d tell him the truth}

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont see anyone else here

jackthedog
    Free Member

Another here who recently discovered EDC. Came across it during online searches for a new commute rucksack. I learn that it has a big brother too – BOB.

I was shocked at first, particularly by the paranoid Americans who seemingly can’t step through their front door without carrying two different kinds of combat knife, a torch, two backup torches and 30 batteries, pepper spray, a concealed 9mm pistol, 3 loaded magazines for said pistol and a 3G iPad everywhere they go, just in case.

Quite what they’re preparing for that they think will require such specificity of stabbing and 50 odd rounds to be fired off, I don’t even want to know.

However, after a while of satiating my morbid curiosity I saw that actually, the majority of it is fairly harmless. Particularly outside the US. It’s just guys wanting to feel prepared for stuff by carrying paracord, carabiners, torches and first aid kits.

An old colleague of mine, a nice bloke, good laugh, RPG playing, computer programming, lead figure painting, proud-to-be-geek used to keep a zombie survival kit in his car with no hint of embarrassment. Everyone took the piss out of him till we ended up getting stranded overnight in the upstairs office when the river bust its banks and the RAF crew from the Sea kings hovering overhead phoned to say they couldn’t justify airlifting 150 staff to dry land.

This colleague had got a roll mat, a sleeping bag, a torch, toothbrush, those army meal ration things, he was comfy, not hungry, totally sorted. While we were all trying to prise the vending machine open in the pitch black to get at the Mars Bars because the power had gone out.

Admittedly that’s an exception scenario. Like most ultimately pointless hobbies we blokes have, it’s probably 90% about the toys. I got the impression that a lot of it seems actually to be more about the collection and creation of the kit, rather than the use of it. It’s like any hobby – a way for people to spend their money and pass the hours on chat forums.

But also like many a hobby – ours included – the nobbers give it a bad image.

kaesae
    Free Member

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. That said, sounds like that guy couldn’t pass wind, without breaking into a sweat.

montylikesbeer

Its the culture I don’t like,its aggressive and edgy.

I have spent a lot of time over there and its true.

Police expect you to be “fully tooled” all the time.

There is a fixation on home and self defence built on paranoia.

Take a hop over to Canada and its a different story.

Any culture that allows personal ownership of assault rifles is a little “edgy”

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So let me get this straight. The good people of the USA are legally allowed to carry a gun around with them every day? Is that correct?

thegreatape
    Free Member

So let me get this straight. The good people of the USA are legally allowed to carry a gun around with them every day? Is that correct?

Just what I was wondering. Do they have licences? Because on the US cop shows with Ross Kemp you see the police taking guns of gang members and so on, so what are the rules?

montylikesbeer

Its a state by state thing

Louisiana

Louisiana is a “shall issue” state for concealed carry. The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections shall issue a concealed handgun permit to qualified applicants, after performing an NICS background check and giving the local police 10 days to provide additional information about the applicant. An applicant must demonstrate handgun proficiency by taking a training course from an approved instructor, or by having been trained while serving in the military. Concealed carry is not permitted in any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a class A-General retail permit, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or in any place of worship, government meeting place, courthouse, police station, polling place, parade, or in certain other locations.[131][132][133]

Louisiana has state preemption of firearms laws, except for local laws passed before July 15, 1985. Government bodies other than the state may not sue firearms manufacturers, dealers, or trade associations for damages that are the result of lawful activities. Automatic firearms, short-barreled shotguns and rifles, and silencers may not be possessed or transferred without permission of the Department of Public Safety, and must be registered with the Department.[134]

jackthedog
    Free Member

You can have a license to conceal carry in some states, can’t you? We need a ‘mercan to help us.

Edit: already said above.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Its complicated – different states have different rules.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Any culture that allows personal ownership of assault rifles is a little “edgy”

Really? I used to own one (AR10) legally here before they made them Section 5 licence holders only.

Firearms and violence are not automatically synonymous.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

In addition, I have a friend that lives in NW USA who has a nice collection of firearms including some fully automatic. Fair to say he is very in to his firearms, but I don’t find him to be the least bit macho or violent.

montylikesbeer

Why anyone would want to personally own an assault rifle is beyond me, this is coming from a man who used to have a shot gun and shoot to a not bad level.

But is more than the ownership of a single weapon, some of these people have multiple weapons, like I said from personal experience its a scary place at times.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I think the important question that nobody has asked yet is how the hell do some of these people manage to walk with all that stuff bouncing around in their pockets?

I always find the best option when faced with a tricky situation is to run away. Give me a decent pair of shoes or trainers over half a tonne of gadgets everytime.

jackthedog
    Free Member

True. Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. People with people killing tools are people more inclined to kill people though.

Cougar

I too subscribe to the Karate Kid school of defence (“no be there”) – I’m no fighter but I’m a wriggly little sod and I can do a standing 40 yards faster than anyone else I’ve ever met.

Tiger6791

True, but it’s not like guns have many other uses other than to kill stuff though. So lets not pretend they are multi use items.

I’ll accept sport but I’ve yet to see an AK47 or Uzi used in the modern pentathlon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Firearms and violence are not automatically synonymous

Many fire-arms are created for one single purpose, which is violence. So I think it’s fair to say there’s a lot of overlap, don’t you?

Why would anyone want an automatic weapon if not for some reason related to violence?

Cougar

People with people killing tools are people more inclined to kill people though.

I think you’ve got your causality backwards. People who are more likely to kill someone are more likely to be tooled up.

philconsequence
    Free Member

molly, you’ve clearly never been in a gang, or the cold war. its all about street rep, if a crew has certain weapons then your crew must have equal or better weapons to keep a stalemate… its not about violence… its preventing violence 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

True. Guns don’t kill people…

…rappers do,
    Ask any politican and they’ll tell you its true

philconsequence
    Free Member

its a fact, music makes you violent, like michael jackson telling little timmy to be silent.

molgrips
    Free Member

So yes, the gun laws do vary state by state. You need a license I think in all cases, but they are very easy to get – I think they do a criminal record check on you. In Wisconsin at least (dunno about elsewhere) you can however buy a gun at a gun fair and they don’t have to do any background checks on you. You do need to be a licensed dealer to sell at a gun fair, but all you have to do to get a license is send away for it apparently.

So if you want a gun, you can easily get one. Which means that anyone interested in wrongdoing can help themselves.

BUT

The reasons for crime happening are social and economic as everywhere else. Shootings etc are a consequence of this really not of gun ownership. However.. things that would be fights or stabbings in the UK turn into fire fights and drive-bys which have a higher mortality rate.

Problem is you have high gun availability AND terrible social inequality in many places, which is a bad combination. In Grips-in-Laws town there is very little crime of any kind, but most houses have at least some guns in – hunting is very popular. Deer and game birds that is, not gangster hunting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Scary american, scary paranoid, scary proprer mashed up people around…’ is closed to new replies.