Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Scarth Gap, which way is better?
  • jekkyl

Planning a lakes route, which way over scarth gap is better in terms of more riding, less bike on shoulder?
    Ennerdale to buttermere or VV?
    Thanks.

jekkyl

I’m liking the look of ennerdale to buttermere, but the video doesn’t show the carry up. I don’t mind hard work hikeabike so after the way which gets the hikeabike out of the way as quick as possible, steepest..shortest etc.

fergal
    Free Member

Wouldn’t class either as anything to write home about, classic fix the fells fare, if that floats your’e boat.

Good access for the Tour of Gable, shorter carry on Ennerdale side.

jekkyl

Yup thanks for completely not addressing my question 🙂

fergal
    Free Member

Glad to be of service 🙂 sorry, i just remember carrying up from Buttermere and thinking it wouldn’t exactly be a classic descent, many waterbars, the other side is forgetable.

elliptic
    Free Member

Ennerdale -> Buttermere is much less painful, there’s a short rideable bit to start then 15-20 mins of carrying up a steppy pitched path.

The descent to Buttermere starts off very steep and bouldery then settles down to a decent long descent with sections of stone pitching & tech, its not the best value therabouts but I’d rate it higher than Fergal does. YMMV 🙂

Up from Buttermere is a long slog and the descent is a quick clatter down the stone pitching. Only worth doing that way if you’re on the four passes loop (of which it’s the lowlight).

pdw
    Free Member

Black Sail hut is much higher than Buttermere, so you get a lot more down for your up doing it from Ennerdale side.

What are you planning to do to complete the loop? Don’t be tempted by the bridleway down Mosedale Beck – it’s a miserable bog at all times of year.

jekkyl

This is the route I had provisionally plotted: https://www.justgoride.co.uk/routes/14610

Deliberately missed out fleetwith pike and the drop into Buttermere as I think there’s enough climbing in there for one day. Quite looking forward to the road descent of honister on a mtb with mtb brakes. 🙂

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Might be of interest, there is a good bit on your tube coming down from Scarth Gap to buttermere, have a search might help you decide, wife & walked it last month & all the while I was looking for lines!!

boxelder

You can ride a fair amount of the climb from Ennerdale. Lots of pushy up or down the Bmere side.
    Just back from Buttermere and loads of police, fire and MRT vehicles heading up there….. Suspect car off the pass.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Scarth Gap, which way is better?’ is closed to new replies.