Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • scandal 29er creaking ?
  • davewilson634
    Free Member

Constant creaking when putting power down. I thought this was because my cranks and BB had seen better days so replaced both but still happening have tried tightening drop outs they seem fine .
    Anyone have any ideas

feisty
    Free Member

I also had creaking issues when cranking hard standing up, I found the bolts were topping out on the t-nut as they are too long

The captive nuts have almost 2mm at the end with no thread so I took a file to them and removed 1.5mm of their length so as not to mess with the threaded section. I also used normal steel chainring bolts as the ones provided are not thread all the way to the bolt head (this probably isn’t required if you file enough off the captive nut).

Cleaned and put a bit of grease on the mating faces of the frame and swapout and then did them up, I could instantly feel the bolts tighten up loads better as they didn’t hit a hard stop just got hard to torque, also the captive nut didn’t spin as they got tighter as they were actually being pulled tight into the swapout seat.

A 10 minute job to sort the issue once and for all

davewilson634
    Free Member

That sounds easy enough thanks for the quick advice will give it a go tomorrow

feisty
    Free Member

no probs, after a muddy ride you will take the dropouts off and see mud between the mating faces.

I just held the captive nuts carefully in the rounded part of a set of pliers and used a bog standard file as they are not hard metal and I coun’t be bothered to go to the shed to do it “properly” 😀

davewilson634
    Free Member

Surprised on one haven’t sorted the problem frames only a few weeks old

icarus
    Free Member

I had the same problem with mine and sorted it the way Feisty says,drove me mad till i worked out what it was!

bigshep
    Free Member

At last!
    I’ve been tightening and greasing pedals, axles, cranks and anything else I could think of to hunt down the annoying creaking. 😕
    Off to the garage now to finally shut it up 😈

davewilson634
    Free Member

Lol glad its not just me

slowboydickie

Are you talking about the drop out fittings for switching between geared and horizontal drop outs? Mine is creaking like a bugger so I’d better get it out and have a look.

davewilson634
    Free Member

Yeh that’s the bits mate

bigshep
    Free Member

All fixed now, really easy job.
    Quick spin round the block confirms creaking has gone.
    Cheers feisty 😀

feisty
    Free Member

No probs glad to help 🙂

I have an original SS fixed droppout 26″ scandal as well and that creaked from the rear axle moving if the QR was not tight enough as the chain tug moved on the dropout face.

As soon as I got the V2 29er and slogged up the first hill I new where the noise was coming from although a quick check of my tight bolt on hub and the dirt between the swapout and the frame pointed me in the right direction.

I was going to email On-One actually as it seems to be a common issue and the Scandal is such a good frame I would hate for it to get a bad rep and people miss out on getting one

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Ha ha, thought I was the only one, but quick interweb search showed problem being the drop out bolt holes being drilled out too deep, hence the bolt not tightening fully

Popping a crush washer in was the recommended tip, which makes perfect sense (but I just used slightly shorter bolt as suggested above)

As an aside, mines set up rigid 1×9, love it to bits

davewilson634
    Free Member

Just been out for a ride and hey no creaking thanks mate

jezandu
    Free Member

Haha, can’t believe I’m reading this thread now! Just bought a new BB because of an annoying amplified clicking noise. Didn’t solve the problem. I greased and tightened the chainring bolts. Still no change. Yep it was the drop out bolts. So at least I know I’m not alone on this! Got them tight and the noise has nearly all gone, just the occasional click when putting a load of torque down.

FieldMarshall

No creaking on my V2 29er but just an annoying knock when i apply the rear brake.

Turns out the dropouts were completely loose. Doh. Its the only bit i didnt install and i didnt think to check them. Surprised the rear wheel didnt fall off with dropouts attached to the skewer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘scandal 29er creaking ?’ is closed to new replies.