• This topic has 33 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Scammers in the classifieds
  • robertgray05
    Free Member

Just received my first ever scam email relating to an STW ad. I normally only get these from Gumtree (at a rate of 2-4 per ad). Is this a new thing, or have I been away too long?!

From ‘Nicole Curtis’
    “Hello
    Good Day to you.Am interested in your advert posted and i will like to know the present condition of it and the last price with pics..Mind you,i will be responsible for the pick-up of it at your locations okay.Hope to read from you soon.

Regards….
    Curtis”

tomhoward

‘The last price you say?

£8million’

jekkyl

And a good day to you too Sir *tips hat*

globalti
    Free Member

“I will like” is a classic Nigerianism, they all say that instead of the subjunctive “would”. Blame the Oirish missionaries who taught them English and gave them Guinness.

martinhutch

I wish someone would teach me English and give me Guinness.

jekkyl

You sir are a cad and a bounder, I will like to meet you at dawn with pistols, hold my smoking jacket Ethel. *boffs face with glove*

Cougar

That’s a funny name for a jacket.

Bear in mind that if you’re getting emails, they’re not necessarily scammers “in” the classifieds, merely reading them. You don’t need an account to reply to a post by email.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Ha ha, I’ve just has two emails from our good buddy Curtis

Leigh
    Free Member

I had one from Curtis the same

jonnyrockymountain

I have had 2 as well this morning, had them from them before

globalti
    Free Member

Tell Curtis you are not an oyigbo mugu and he is a bush man.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I think we’re all bush men deep down…

rascal
    Free Member

I had one off him/her today too!
    Apart from the terrible wording I had no reason to think it was a scammer though…until now 😕

Merak

Srsly?

spooky_b329

Please tell me you are all going to string him along and keep him busy?!

salad_dodger

I just assumed it was a PM from chewkw.

CheesybeanZ

I wish someone would teach me English and give me Guinness.

Wear do I sighn up …

monkeyboyjc

Whats his reply email? I’d love to sign hin up for some stuff….

johnx2
    Free Member

“I will like” is a classic Nigerianism, they all say that instead of the subjunctive “would”. Blame the Oirish missionaries who taught them English and gave them Guinness.

A friend of mine (Irish as it goes) recalls being woken up on an internal flight for breakfast: a bottle of guinness and a tin of sardines.

funkmasterp

Quick what can I sell to entice Curtis in to a protracted email chain.

frankconway

What about gandex who’s posted in the wanted section – on one inbred and he’s in russia????
    Check out the phrasing – could have been written by chewkw 😆

Mods – is he legit? Gandex, not chewkw

gandex
    Free Member

What funny in my phrase!?

hammermason
    Free Member

This was Nicole’s second email to me – seems pretty genuine, no?

Thanks for the quick response about both the [Items] am buying from you,anyway the price is OK by me but i will like you to know that payment will be made by Cheque.If this mode of payment is OK by you, Kindly send your information which you will like to receive the payment from the post man, so that i can instruct my secretary to issued it immediately.I will forward your information to the secretary and he confirm to me that payment will be sent to you as asap okay.Anyway,I will assume the Item has been sold to me. Also i will appreciate if you can get the advert off the website and don’t get contacted by another buyer.Anyway, payment will be sent to your Address soon.

Note: The secretary will issue an excess money on the payment which would cover both the payment and shipment alongside with some other goods i bought down from other locations.All you need to do, Once you confirm the check payment in your mailbox by next week,you get it cashed or deposited in your account and get back to me with the clearance date and has soon as you have confirm the check payment cleared in your account,you are to deduct the cost of the payment agreed,afterward and send the remaining funds to my Removal agent who will be coming down to your location for the pick up….the rest of my funds is meant for the shipment of all my consignment including yours.I will send the Removal agent details when the payment delivers. I will entertain any comment or suggestion.It’s my pleasure doing business with you.Hope to read from you soon with your details below:

Name to be on Cheque:…..
    Address where Cheque will be received by you:…….
    Phone Number such as Mobile,Land line….

Never mind about the pick up,it will be after you must have cleared the check payment from your Bank Account and i will be responsible for the bank charges okay.Await your Quick Response so that i can arrange for the payment immediately.

N.B….I we waits for the cheque payment to clear in your account before the pick up of it at your locations okay.

Thanks
    Curtis

crapjumper
    Free Member

Can’t see anything wrong with that 🙄

funkmasterp

What’s the odds on this? Curtis uses the exact same methods as the Nigerian Prince who kindly sent me his money. I doubled his money by investing in Canadian gold. To top this up I work from home making £1500.00 per hour. You can too! Just visit: clearlyamassivescam@curtis.com

Cougar

Mods – is he legit?

How would we know?

rascal
    Free Member

Had same email today.
    Replied saying he’d been rumbled.
    Let’s see if I get another one.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Has anyone ever received a cheque from one of these scams?

I would be tempted to give work address just to see how much “extra” he was trying to scam me out of. The obviously contacting the bank that issued the cheque and letting them know of the fraud…

garage-dweller

Why do you lot engage at all?

There’s always the possibility you’ll cock it up and give away something you shouldn’t and open yourself up to more hassle.

Delete and move on.

mountainman

Had two from same via adds on local classifieds.

A Sonia Merith from belgium ,apparently there are no bikes in brussels !

A Mr Van Bowel whom i told the bike pre dated the stone age and i bought it from Barney rubble and he still wanted it for an extra price.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Has anyone ever received a cheque from one of these scams?

Yes. My company received a Cheque from a similar scam. The story was he wanted services from us but could only pay by cheque and he wanted us to pay for a hotel with the extra money he would write in the cheque. The cheque is stolen and if you are unlucky the bank will clear the cheque then you pay for the extra things the scammer wants and up to 6 months later when the bank realizes their mistake they take the money back from your account.

oink1
    Free Member

hammermason – Member
    This was Nicole’s second email to me – seems pretty genuine, no?

Sounds kosher to me? 😯

leffeboy

and up to 6 months later when the bank realizes their mistake

6 MONTHS, that’s not funny. I had assumed that once it was cleared and not just ‘available’ then that was enough 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Why do you lot engage at all?

There’s always the possibility you’ll cock it up and give away something you shouldn’t and open yourself up to more hassle.

Delete and move on.

Agreed.

Much more productive things to do in life.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Scammers in the classifieds’ is closed to new replies.