Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Scam "2nd chance offer" from Ebay?
  • martinhurton
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have just had a second chance offer in my email for a bike frame. It looks like an ebay email, all legit, like an invoice. It even has my delivery address on it.

I was going to accept, except I saw there is no “accept” or “buy it now” button. Scrolling down the page it has instructions for paying with UKASH by going and getting UKASH vouchers from a PayPoint store.

Logged into my ebay account and there’s no message or second chance offer there, which there normally would be.

Even stranger is that the bid history has 10 offers for 5 times what my second chance offer is (£25 for me, it “sold” for £147 with plenty of other bidders inbetween).

So, I’m guessing this is a scam but am worried about how my details (including my address) are included?

Anyone had the same, or is this a new scam that’s starting?

It’s kind of worrying that my personal details have been gained from ebay.

FuzzyWuzzy

Interesting, can’t say anything obvious springs to mind about how it was done. If it were me I’d be changing my eBay password and contacting eBay to report it though.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Just edited the above, did find the item in my deleted items, so I had bid on it. But even so…

I have forwarded teh email to ebay.

As you say, I am concerned that someone has got my address from ebay and may close my account if ebay don’t respond.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

Check the email headers.

maccruiskeen

Interesting – I had a look at my account to see if going through the ‘make second offer’ process reveals things like an address for bidders, and it doesn’t seem to (although I didn’t press the final ‘send’ so maybe doing that would generate a message that includes with an address)

I’d drop ebay a line about it – unless the message you received appears in the messages bit of your ebay account it hasn’t be sent via them. But they should look at whether the vender who’s goods you originally bid on is scamming in some way or his account has been hacked for nefarious purposes (in which case the account owner needs to be notified)

martinhurton
    Free Member

Well ebay have replied saying that this is an email known as “phishing” and should be ignored. Really!

They have just sent an automated email response. I asked but they have given no explanation given as to how my details were on it.

No way should my address have been hacked from ebay. Don’t they have some responsability to ensure our details are kept safe?

FuzzyWuzzy

Yes they do but you’d have to prove their system was compromised rather than your PC or password before they’d get in trouble. I would certainly keep on at them though and request how your personal details ended up in a standard phishing email – that’s not possible without a security compromise somewhere.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Thanks. Have just emailed them explaining that there is no way my account password has been compromised from my end. I only ever log on from the same PC which no one else has access to. I know for sure no one has seen me type my password in as this PC is at home.

I’ll keep on at them and do some more research about their duty to me.

Cheers, Martin

FuzzyWuzzy

Do you ever download anything or visit sites you can’t 100% trust though? Keystroke-loggers etc. could be installed, worth running a couple of different AV/trojan scans on your PC if you only ever access from that. eBay’s security won’t be perfect but they’ll spend a few million more on it than the home user does so 99.99% of the time the breach is with the end-user

Drac

Sometimes it’s not too hard to locate where people live, I reckon with your username and details in your profile it wouldn’t take me too long.

And done in less than a minute.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Is the seller in cumbria by any chance?

I got the exact same e-mail yesterday offering my a 2nd chance offer on some wheels which I bid £40 odd for when they went for over £100.

The e-mail had my address, the sellers e-mail, so looks legit.

Also I’m running a Mac so the chance of me having a heylogger is non-existant, plus my password is a 20+ char strong password, so I’m sure my password has not been compromised: It’s still a little worrying tho.

Here’s my e-mail header is that’s of any use:

reply-to: ukash-orders@instruction.com
    to: ———–@gmail.com <- my email
    date: 23 January 2013 21:34
    subject: You’ve received a Second Chance Offer on eBay item #xxxxxxx
    mailed-by: amazonses.com

So it looks like a phishing e-mail to me.

EDIT: Just google ‘ukash’ and you’ll see it’s 100% scam 😉

Maybe the sellers account was compromised?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

reply-to: ukash-orders@instruction.com

Well thats a bit of a give away for a start.

Like Drac has said, it can be very easy to get a hold of someones name and address from a username, especially if used on more than one site.

jota180
    Free Member

Like Drac has said, it can be very easy to get a hold of someones name and address from a username, especially if used on more than one site.

Quite possibly in some cases but ……..
    non winning bidders user name isn’t displayed AFAIK

whatnobeer
    Free Member

non winning bidders user name isn’t displayed AFAIK

Aah. That makes it a bit more confusing then…

falkirk-mark

I personally have had someone get a bit snotty with me when I did not take up his second chance offer but I was left wondering if I was bidding against his mate and I did not want to do any business with him.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to got to for £25 doesn’t it?

The seller wasn’t from Cumbria, from Yorkshire. Ebay have confirmed it is a phishing email.

I have paid-up internet security and such, but guess that doesn’t always count for much. Definiately don’t visit dodgy websites on this account.

Still not sure how they knew I was one of the bidders (as said above, doesn’t display bidders names), or how they knew what my bid was.

Does seem to me like ebay was hacked rather than me. Will continue to pester them about it.

I find it all rather worrying.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s a little odd if it is a different seller.

I’m also a little concerned as to how they got my postal address.

I do tend to buy quite a lot of things from eBay, and I guess everyone you buy from also has your home address so I guess it could be possible that a previous sellers computer may have been compromised somehow.

Even so I don’t see how a previous seller could have known that I put a bid in on those wheels, and what my bid was, so as unlikely as it sounds, eBay themselves may be to blame for this.

Please keep the thread updated with what eBay have to say, as I have tried googling for people in a similar situation but most of the threads in the eBay support forum seem to no longer exist

nealglover
    Free Member

Still not sure how they knew I was one of the bidders (as said above, doesn’t display bidders names), or how they knew what my bid was.

Not the way it is at all.

All the bidders usernames are shown while the auction is still active.

Have just sold a snowboard on eBay and I could click on the bidding activity and see all 7 bidders, usernames and how much they had bid.

(I was matching up the bidders usernames with the people who had asked questions etc)

Now it’s finished, I can only see the winner.

So as drac said, pretty easy to look around and find your details if they want to.

(And it faaaaaaaar more likely that the problem is at your end rather than at Ebay’s end, regardless of how good you thi I your set up is.)

toys19
    Free Member

the original seller account was probably hacked. Happened to a mate and he lost 7k. Thread here.

jota180
    Free Member

All the bidders usernames are shown while the auction is still active.

Only to the seller, no one else gets to see it so no likelihood of a random scammer being able to deduce anything from c****y etc.

It was either an ebay issue or the sellers account was compromised, in either case, there’d be no need to do any detective work on their target.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Well I found out last night that my mate got the same email as I did. Different seller and item, but otherwise the same.

Does seem more likely that ebay has been hacked to me. Probably why I’ve had no reply from them since their automated response 🙄

Drac

It’s a scam that’s been happening for years, it’s something to do with people are able to message you uses your email.

I’d still put more on Paypal being more secure than an average users PC.

onehundredthidiot

Yep i got one yesterday.

Give away was i stopped bidding £60 before final bid and there were three bidders entered after i stopped.

email to ebay now sent.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Scam "2nd chance offer" from Ebay?’ is closed to new replies.