Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Scalextric time … but which set/scale for 5yr old?
  • spacemonkey

With Lego and Star Wars stuff already sorted for Chrimbo, what else can I get me the boy? An entry-level – but scalable – Scalextric set seems logical, but should I go 1:64 or 1:32?

Any decent sets with easy upgrade options etc?

Ta

crankboy
    Free Member

Count to 10 and wait for Harrythespider with the right answer but for me 1/32 classic track with new scx cars . the 1/64 is too fiddly and rubbish the new track for scalextrix is too glitchy . I like stx cars as they stick to the track have lights details don’t break off in crashes and I got some cheap.

spacemonkey

Interesting you say 1/64 is too fiddly. I thought it was designed to be more throwable/stickable?

Yeah, I saw the recent thread when Harry rocked up with bits of advice.

Will check out STX vs whatever the other options are.

Nice one.

ourmaninthenorth

Here you go (contains HTS input too). I bought the Mini Challenge set for my 5 year old daughter me. It’s great – already have more track and the controllers can be adjusted to limit the speed of the cars.

My thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/quick-instant-scalextric-help-required-please

Northwind

There’s a “my first scalextric” set, which I think is compatible with the other Micro tracks and cars. It comes with controllers with a speed limiter, which might be a good idea for some kids…

Actually, I have 2 of the sets on the floor, here- I got them in a job lot with some other toys. Neither works properly and I cannot be arsed to troubleshoot them so if anyone has a use for them give me a shout, I was just going to fling them on ebay with a pound starting point.

endurogangster
    Free Member

1/32 all the way, asda have a supercar set for half price at the moment, £60 Down from £120! Unfortunately my son is too young for me to pass it off as a present for him!

tree-magnet
    Free Member

1/32 here as well, there’s much more choice in cars and tracks in the future.

If he’s a star wars fan like my boy, the luke vs forest trooper set went down a treat, and connected with the previous years Disney Cars track to go right round the playroom.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scalextric-Start-C1288-Battle-Endor/dp/B006ZVJGAS/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1445668145&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+scalextric

Search around, I got it for nearly half that price last year.

spacemonkey

Right, I’ve had a look around and can’t find any good deals on new, but decent, 1:32 sets. Can’t justify spending say £75+ for a small loop of track and a bit of extra track given the amount spent on other stuff already.

So I’ve been trawling eBay and am looking at collating together some second hand Sport track along with the relevant electrics and 3-4 cars. Upgrading to Digital seems bloomin expensive, but maybe I’m looking at the wrong stuff?

Northwind, what exactly are you selling?

EDIT: anyone know the difference between Sport and Sport Track Advanced?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Watching with interest – we’ve decided that we’re going to get the mini-DBWs some Scalextric for one of their joint presents…

slowjo
    Free Member

@endurogangster – there’s no such thing as too young. I bought my son ‘his’ first Scalextric when he was seven……..days! A mate and I ‘broke it in’ for him and within a week we had upgraded track, cars etc. It was a bit tatty when he eventually got round to playing with it but, IMO that was a good thing as there was less of an issue when the inevitable happened and things broke. He had a massive amount of track etc too which was cool.

Northwind

spacemonkey – Member

Northwind, what exactly are you selling?

Not what you’re after I think, 2 1:64 starter kits which need a bit of fixing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Surely the answer is “whichever set you want to play with”?

spacemonkey

Not what you’re after I think, 2 1:64 starter kits which need a bit of fixing.

Fair do’s. Ta anyway.

andermt
    Free Member

Did very similar to slowjo with my lad years ago.

Have a look at Pendle Slot Racing for cars and let bankruptcy commence…. 😆

Harry_the_Spider

I’d go with 1/32. Any smaller and they are just jet propelled matchbox cars.

I saw the £60 set in ASDA and it is a cracking price. Get that, then when you want to expand get a pair of these

for about a tenner so that you can add to it with “Classic” track from ebay.

Pendle Slot Racing have loads of stuff, but there are cheaper dealers out there.

http://www.typhoonslotsandmodels.com/products.php?cat=58

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=scx&osCsid=6hj3m84mj0l62f5vmr132acin6&x=3&y=8

http://www.hedleyshobbies.com/

I like SCX stuff, but the F1s are a bit delicate.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Anyone remember TCR? I got buried down that route before I knew better in my youth.

spacemonkey

Yeah, that Asda offer is intriguing but I can’t find any reviews. It’s not the same setup as the Bugatti Supercars (which gets raved about on Amazon) and makes me wonder if it’s just some standard track with DPR-enabled cars, ie a good deal at £60 but not worth anything like the £120. Also, local stores have run out so I can’t get hold of it anyway 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

I wouldn’t pay £120 for it, but for a £60 starter I think it looks OK.

http://direct.asda.com/scalextric-total-supercars/000764264,default,pd.html

Sold out online, but they had it at my local store.

The cars alone would cost you something north of £40. It looks to have a “SPORT” powerbase which can take an additional power supply so that you have one for each lane, which you’ll need if you are going to extend it (could be wrong, difficult to tell from the photo). That would cost £20 with two throttles and the power supply. Basically you are getting all of the track for free!

It needs more track, but that is easily rectified. 😉

tootallpaul

Spacemonkey – drop me a line, I have a great set of stuff I have been looking to find new home for. Rather give it to you than the charity shop.

See my old posts for more details.

Harry_the_Spider

Wow! Monkeyman… snap his hand off!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Scalextric time … but which set/scale for 5yr old?’ is closed to new replies.