Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Scalextric advice
  • mrbelowski
    Free Member

I’m after some advice / pearls of wisdom regarding Scalextric. I’ve got a big event coming up and have been given permission to get spendy on Scalextric as part of keeping the kids (and dads, of course) occupied. I’ve got 2 of my own so it’ll get played with a lot afterwards, assuming it doesn’t get wrecked.

I’m no stranger to the older stuff, but the digital stuff is all new to me. I do like the sound of it though – especially 6 cars on one track – and am tempted to splash out on it.

The price of the big digital sets is pretty scary – like, £400+ scary. Are they decent value? Or does it make more sense to buy separate digital bits & bobs, and use existing track to fill in the bits? Does the overtaking stuff really work or is it a gimmick? Does the old style track with the convertor pieces work properly with new stuff?

Is there any interesting alternative to the scalextric digital stuff?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Oh, and if anyone’s selling a load give me a yell 🙂

StirlingCrispin

Your best bet might be to ask at a model store.

I bought a 2nd-hand set with cars and spares from a colleague for £20. I realise now I got a complete bargain.

We can run four cars – converting a normal car requires a converter kit and takes a minute or two. The overtaking is fun but my boys (8 and 6) aren’t bothered by it. The new cars have magnets which mean it’s a lot easier to stay on the track.

The track is different to the stuff from my yoof, but can be linked with converter sections. The old track runs the new digital cars.

Personally I’d not bother but would spend my money on a few cars and more track (if you have the space).

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

The digital ones seem like serious pieces of kit, my brother’s can take four cars and can change lanes. If you can afford it, do it.

If you can’t, stick to old school

thehustler
    Free Member

Existing track will work with digital cars and controller so mix and match is no problem, the more ‘cross over’ sections you can have the better as it enables more overtaking. So its worth getting a decent sized digital set for the controllers and digital cars) and then adding your own track in.

tootallpaul
    thehustler
    Free Member

The above for sale the track could be used with digital, but the cars and other accessories cant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Scalextric advice’ is closed to new replies.