Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scaffolding / builder quotes (northern/west yorks
  • whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Has anyone recently had some scaffolding put up, what kind of money are we talking

Probably need it up for 4-5 days, even 2-3, approx 6-8 metres wide, 4-5metres high

Just selling our house and I woke up thinking about the cement rendering between the top of our side wall (stone) and the roof tiles on a long sloping roof, with the edge tiles overlapping the end wall ,
    some of the cement had fallen out this summer and i was going to fix it with the father in law,
    but the job is too high for stepladders hence we never got around to it,

Anyway we have just put our house on the market, as we’d seen a few houses we liked, they’ve all sold stc. We need to move,more room for bikes etc

I’m now concerned if a buyer puts an offer in then the survey will definately reveal this and so be a further hassle for both us and a potential buyer.

May as well put this right now, before a survey over eggs the situation and puts a potential buyer off by saying the full roof needs replacing, which it does not,

It’s not a big job, possibly 10 metre length of cement 8-15cm wide, how much would a local builder/ handyman charge.
    From experience has anyone had some work like this done,
    If we decide to get someone in to do it, probably best letting the builder get the scaffolding organised as they will likely get reduced rates and we won’t have extra charges if he fails to show up and we need it longer.

Any help advise appreciated, I don’t need hassles like this it’s bad enough having to entertain viewers and view houses, when all I want to do is ride my bike and relax on the weekend

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Having scaffolding up with potential buyers looking round isn’t going to look to good, personally I’d take a wide birth if I came round ti view as I suspect most people would.

If it’s picked up on survey take it off the price…

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yeah good point unfitgeezer, cheers

Yep it’s all about perceptions, as I’ve said it’s a tiny job but too high for a stepladder,
    If it was a metre lower I’d Have the father in law up a stepladder and rendering it in under 2 hours all in, fixed a good two metre section (lowest bit) a few years ago and that is perfectly fine..

geoffj

Could you use a tower?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@geoffj just had to pop out to move a bike from garage to get the other halfs car out, so had a quick look
    Height is probably 5-6 metres, section is at highest point and is only 1.5-2ft cement section wide that has fallen out

I think a tower scaffold would be plenty wide enough, if I can get one put up and do the job and removed quickly It could work, would redo the full lot, if we were to do it ourselves (FIL is an ex labourer so knows what he’s doing)

I’d assume the majority of buyers/solicitors would want to see builders paperwork though (bump up the cost) , so may be best to fix now upfront

houndlegs
    Free Member

No idea about your area, but I recently had scaffolding about the same width and a few metres higher(I had 3 levels), and it was £250 for 4 weeks. This is S. Wales area.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi
    In Jan I paid £500 for 8m wide 9m high (3 floors) and an extension round the chimney, for 4 weeks. Bingley west Yorks

revs1972
    Free Member

Just hire a scaffold tower and crack on and get it done. Takes 5 minutes to put together

sandwicheater

If your Halifax based, can recommend a firm we insure who did our scaffolding, Omega. No harm getting a quote.

Carl @ Omega ; 0741one478838.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Come on Jim. Get a grip. Just get someone we know to do it on a scotcher , Saturday morning.
    I’d be more concerned wi all that hoss shit you trip over when you walk int door

deepreddave
    Free Member

Scaffold Tower (or even a cherry picker can be cheaper for a quick job). We just had scaffolding across the back and side (all bridging on various extension roofs) to reroof the rear of a 3 storey victoriana house and c£1100 – happy with that too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Scaffolding / builder quotes (northern/west yorks’ is closed to new replies.