Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Scafell Pike – how hard?
  • slowoldman

Is that big perched boulder still overhanging Lord’s Rake? The one the MRT said was going to tumble down any time now?

TomB

Currently snow on the high fells, some of which will have melted and refrozen into hard neve. You can’t drive from Grasmere to Keswick, so for borrowdale approach need to come into the north lakes from Penrith. Pick a good weather day to make the most of it and reduce possibility of getting lost, but bear in mind it can clag up pretty quick even on a nice day, so be prepared for that!

footflaps

The OS map app is very handy on your phone – shows you where you are on the 1:25k at all times (don’t need cell coverage).

martinhutch

I’m also one who prefers the backside approach, Great Moss is a fantastic wild camping spot (under cam spout crag), with really nice walk in along the river esk. as others, Scafell is the more interesting, up Lord’s rake, down Foxes Tarn path

I’d second that – top camping spot. And some nice swimming holes higher up the Lingcove Beck underneath the Crinkles. Just check there’s no large groups of walkers approaching before stripping off for a dip. 😳

Just make sure your nav is up to scratch if you’re going up Scafell. You don’t want end up above Broad Stand thinking it’s the path down.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

You don’t want end up above Broad Stand thinking it’s the path down.

First time I took the missus up to the Lakes, must be almost exactly 20 years ago now, we ended up doing just that in a howling gale. I *think* she’s forgiven me…

(fortunately a nice man acted as a spotter for us and directed us down the safest route to the col)

boxelder

Hora – roads fine, but if you ‘re asking about fell conditions, I’d suggest you leave it a while or head for a shorter challenge – Blencathra maybe, or Green and Great Gable. Are you just wanting to do ‘the highest’?

boxelder

Looking at the Buttermere Fells now, there’s snow from about 500m on the east side. It’ll be yucky wet snow. On Scafell, there’ll be this plus some older compacted snow.
    If not experienced, I’d advise an ice axe and a knowledge of how to use it, depending on the route.

John_Key
    Free Member

Went up there years ago and came down the corridor route which was a bit scary given I’m prone to vertigo. Only as short section as some other posters photos have shown

hora
    Free Member

Boxelder cheers and noted. I’m not that skilled so will take heed.

paul4stones

Erm, yeah. I needed axe and crampons on Blencathra two weeks ago….They’ve had a bit more snow this week I think.

footflaps

This thread and prompted me to go back again, so just booked a night in the Wasdale Head Inn and the next night in The Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel for the week before Easter. All we need now is fine weather, else we’ll be trekking for three days in torrential rain and cloud!

slowoldman

It could equally be clear blue skies and thick snow. Easter is early this year.

footflaps

Been a long time (93/94 ish) since I’ve been up there with snow + sun…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dT7uRQ]DOUG ON KIRK FELL[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

ticsmon

We climbed it last easter with our 5 and 8 year old. Easy for the 8 year old but the 5 year old got up ok but I had to carry her most of the way down. It was perfect conditions though

ollybus
    Free Member

This thread has really inspired me! Any ideas what conditions are usually like in April? I have a couple of days off work after Easter. I want to tackle the ascent direct from the National trust camp site. Obviously I’ll be checking the forecast closer to the time, but anyone got experience of that time of year?

TomB

Could be anything from 20 degree sunshine to deep snow and ice. Currently quite snowy but forecast warm spell may strip all that off. lake district weatherline and mountain weather information service (MWIS) are your online best sources for info. Often spring can give great conditions, but as always it varies day to day.

ollybus
    Free Member

Thanks TomB!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I want to tackle the ascent direct from the National trust camp site.

Imagine walking up a bajillion flights of stairs.

ollybus
    Free Member

@thestabiliser have always preferred this route as it gets a huge amount of the altitude out of the way relatively easily. Would you recommend corridor for the ascent?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah, much better. good views of the surrounding ranges too.

Longer obvs.

ollybus
    Free Member

Thanks! How about this route?
    https://www.walklakes.co.uk/walk_208.html

footflaps

Imagine walking up a bajillion flights of stairs.

Try going straight up Kirkfell after a full cooked breakfast at the Wasdale Head Inn!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s a scramble if you’ve kids with you that might be a bit intimidating but otherwise yeah, that’d be my route from Wasdale

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Scafell Pike – how hard?’ is closed to new replies.