Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • sc nomad kawasaki green with coil rear suss .. year??
  • ratswithwings
    Free Member

what year would a sc nomad with a rear coil suss. kawasaki green colour. would it be 2011???

Anyone ridden this bike? what’s it like with the coil in relation to a later model air.

cheers

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Why do you think shock is original and dates the bike? Pretty sure frame number has model year in it, but shock likely to be a red herring, and colour and other frame design changes more help.

I bought a coil to replace the DHX Air on my Mk1 as they had a rep for blowing through mid stroke but sold frame before I fitted it. Point being a lot of owners swapped shocks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s an old Santa Cruz with VPP, so it won’t ride particularly well. Especially by todays standards. Of course, a bike is a bike, and if it’s very cheap then it’d be worth a shot.

I imagine you’d be able to get something better for the money though.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

it will be a 2012 / 13 mk2 carbon nomad. the first carbon nomads were white with balck graphics or black with gold. second year the colour choices where the kawasaki green or a natural grey carbon finish

the shock will be an upgrade as they came with a fox float rp23 as standard and the bike was designed around an air shock originally

It’s an old Santa Cruz with VPP, so it won’t ride particularly well. Especially by todays standards.

they have a tendency to wallow a little in the mid stroke a little on air shocks but if you get your shocked tuned they ride great. climbs well, great on single track and very handy on the downs

i’ve ridden them set up both air & coil (as well as back to back – i’ve got air, my mates got coild, both on mk2 carbons), for the majority of the riding (with the right shock tune) i prefer air

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the bike was designed around an air shock originally

I think the curve for the suspension as it goes through the travel is rising-falling-rising, so they relied on the natural tendency of air shocks to have an increasing rate with stroke to offset the area of falling rate? IIRC I managed to set my DHX Air up okay with maximum pressure in the remote reservoir and the bottom-out adjuster on the reservoir wound all the way in (found tuning tips on MTBR).

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Cheers for info guys. There’s one up on pink bike and was deliberating. Saw a real nice one go for £1100 with an air shock.

This one has the coil but tbh looks to have a fair few drinks in it so its looks as though its been ridden pretty hard. £1200 as well. Would be slightly tempted at a reduced price……….

singlespeedstu

bike was designed around an air shock originally

Yet loads of mark 1 Nomads were sold with a Fox pigback coil shock…

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Drinks??? Dinks.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

bike was designed around an air shock originally

Yet loads of mark 1 Nomads were sold with a Fox pigback coil shock…

I was talking about the mk2 in my post which I believe was designed around an air shock platform

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Sofa, pretty sure the mk1 had a more extreme rate curve so needed the rising air spring rate even more than later editions, but I guess coil was Moar Gnarr and the marketing men specced them.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Sofa, pretty sure the mk1 had a more extreme rate curve so needed the rising air spring rate even more than later editions, but I guess coil was Moar Gnarr and the marketing men specced them.

Possibly, I don’t know anything about the mk1, only familiar with the mk2 from research before purchase. great bikes though in my owner biased opinion

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘sc nomad kawasaki green with coil rear suss .. year??’ is closed to new replies.