Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SC Heckler & 140mm forks – opinions?
  • EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I’m looking at treating myself to a new SC Heckler frame and transfer all the parts from my existing bike on to it. I’m running a set of Marz XC600 forks at the moment (140mm travel), does anyone anticipate any problems with this? In the long term I’ll upgrade the forks, but can’t afford to do this at the same time as buying the frame.

I take it the RP23 upgrade is worthwhile? I quite like the sound of the propedal helping eliminate some bob when climbing etc.

Any thought on this would be greatly appreciated. I’ve not spent this much on a frame before so want to gather as much info as possible before splashing out.

ChrisL

140mm travel forks on a Heckler is a very common setup. You see quite a lot of them with Pikes or Revelations, for example.

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

That’s good to hear, thanks for that Chris. I’ll probably go to some 150-160mm forks in the future, in something a bit more heavy duty like Pike’s.

krag
    Free Member

I spent two weeks in Morzine riding DH on a heckler with 140mm pikes, wasn’t the best tool for the job but coped really well. Should be fine for XC?AM duties.

matthewjb
    Free Member

My (older) Heckler has Pikes. That amount of travel seems a good match.

I’m not sure how the Marz XC600s compare to the Pikes in actual height though.

grievoustim
    Free Member

my hecker has 140mm pikes

I wouldn’t have anything longer (and presumably heavier) unless the bike was just being used for uplift/ super steep stuff

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

From memory, the Marz site says that the axle-to-crown measurement on the XC600’s is 507mm’s. The SC site states geometry for the Heckler using 515mm a a-t-c fork. So there’s not much in it. I can’t seem to find a measurement for the Pike, but guess it’ll be around the 515mm mark (or slightly above)? Hopefully the height variance shouldn’t make much difference in the short term, at least until I can upgrade the forks.

Krag – I’ll be using mine for XC/AM riding, but if the opportunity for doing a bit of DH came up it’s good to know it’ll do the job. Two weeks in Morzine is a fair test!

Does anyone care to post a few pics for inspiration? 🙂

mtbscoop
    Free Member

Set of 140mm Vanilla RL on mine. No complaints – done Alps, 7 Stanes, Afan etc…. Would think about upgrading to a coil shock (DHX/Van) rather than an air one though – I found it makes a big difference.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

the pike is 518mm I think

krag
    Free Member

EarlofBarnet: I didn’t take the heckler intentionally but my bike broke and that was our groups ‘spare frame’ kicking around in the van. I had a hoot on it anyway 🙂

Didn’t get any video of it on the hill, but here’s some car park shinnanigans in Morzine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRf9Xq7iKxQ#t=5m20s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SC Heckler & 140mm forks – opinions?’ is closed to new replies.