Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • SB66 too good for me.Can l make it a plush trail bike?!
  • paulwatts
    Free Member

Hi folks!
    I’m not a serious rider. I just love good mtbs and riding New Forest tracks.

Have a Yeti575 and its fine for me.
    Got tempted to get a sb66 as well.
    It has fox kashima suss and l thought it would be as “smooth” as the 575 but it is a lot stiffer even with soft CTD settings.

Is it me ?!!
    Can l make it more plush?

Thinking l’ve made a mistake, hope not!

Cheers all.

tomhoward

Let some air out of the shock.

JCL
    Free Member

Reduce rear tyre pressure?

b45her
    Free Member

the SB isn’t designed to be plush, its designed to be fast and efficient.

takisawa2

Only had a quick spin but the one I tried was very plush. I’d happily run one ad a trail bike, & my bike is a rigid steel SS.

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks – rear can pressure is low as l dare!
    – will reduce rear tp s bit

Dogbone thingy on the 575 seems to make the rear shock more ‘supple’.
    Would this be right?

Thanks again all.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Are you sure the CTD lever is working?

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks dirk.
    No, l’m not SURE. lt seems to make a small difference.
    Why do Fox make so many adjustment settings ?!! Very fiddly!

kiwijohn

I find it plush enough without wallowing & still being able to take the drops.
    Getting rid of the RP23 will be my next mod, probably a Vivid Air to match the Pike on the front.

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks JCL – lowering tp has helped!
    Thanks kiwi – love your white SB!
    I prefer Rockshox too, that’s probably the answer.
    kiwi – if you come back – could you tell me how you did your tribal graphics?
    Come back on ieatpies1@googlemail.com if you don’t mind.
    Ta!

More money than sense?

kiwijohn

I’ve got 2 Jimbo Philips edition Bell helmets.
    I took a close up photo of the skate lid with a black & white camera setting on my phone. Then I just printed on vinyl.
    It hasn’t lasted too badly either.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lt seems to make a small difference.

Too many most people complain about not enough…
    I’m guessing you have the trail adjust low speed compression. This only works in trail mode. There should be a very noticeable difference between c and d. There isn’t on mine anymore and it’s going back after Christmas.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

*cough* cane creek *cough*

timbo678
    Free Member

It may take a little while to ease in a bit, shocks generally free up a bit once ridden for a while

More money than sense?

What a horrible comment, a genuine question and you’ve added nothing but pointless vitriol

ChrisI

My SB66c is plush as you like, but it is very supportive at the top of the stroke, you need to get it into the suspension to get it working. This can appear to manifest itself as harshness at the top of the stroke, I’d imagine much more than on a 575, which will feel plush/smooth all the way through the travel. What this initial resistance on the SB66 does provide is a much better support feeling to push against when pedalling, the suspension only seeming to really kick in when you really push it.

Two very different bikes, so maybe if the shock is set right, its not the bike for you? I love mine compared to my old Stumpjumper FSR which I imagine is very much like the 575, very active suspension, but I found it sapped a lot from my riding. The SB66 allows you to work the bike much more, pumping and popping off stuff that the FSR would just sap up.

Mugboo

First things first, I’ve never owned or ridden one but every review I’ve read said that they are very firm at low speeds but work well when ridden hard.

Having said that, surely you can get the shock tuned to suit your riding style.

br
    Free Member

More money than sense?

Yep, my thought exactly. Already got a big FS, and bought another.

For the New Forest you’d have been better off with a HT.

nwill1
    Free Member

Who gives a monkeys how much money some one has, or has spent on THEIR bike, people work hard to earn it let them spend it as the wish!!! SB66 looks awesome, capable of a multitude of riding, even DH World Cup, my advise would be to speak to LoCo or the like, they’ll sort you out.

davedodd
    Free Member

Can’t believe some people!
    The OP has just asked for advice on his purchase, and yet the “more money than sense” comments start. Not possibly from people who don’t find themselves in the position to buy what they want after grafting for it I wonder.
    People can buy what they want with their own money, it’s not a requirement to get permission from the STW community. Get a life.

SB66, nice looking bike. May be on my list when my Maverick goes pop.

deanfbm
    Free Member

575 is designed to be plush, the sb66 isn’t unless you up the speed.

You could run less air pressure, get the shock tuned or move to a different shock without boost valve gash.

Boost valve on xc shocks adds firmness at beginning of stroke, opens up mid stroke then ramps up end of stroke. Take a suspension design which is firm off the top, combine that with a shock which is firm off the top, you’re going to have a super firm beginning stroke.

I had a vivid air on mine, improved subtlety beginning stroke, more support mid and end stroke. I had the problem that once i got going, the fox shock used its travel too easily.

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks all -even the nasty ones – l’m ugly enough to take it!

kiwi – great idea ! Appreciate your trouble.

Your advice/explanations have made a lot of sense to me and helped me understand the bike.

The OP has just asked for advice on his purchase, and yet the “more money than sense” comments start. Not possibly from people who don’t find themselves in the position to buy what they want after grafting for it I wonder.
    People can buy what they want with their own money, it’s not a requirement to get permission from the STW community. Get a life.

Maybe my comment was a bit harsh, however, I can buy whatever I want thanks.

The difference being, when I do spend my hard earned on something expensive, I research it first.

It just struck me that the OP was buying expensive bikes, without knowing what he was buying, hence I stand by my comment.

Of course it’s the OP’s prerogative to buy what he wants, so apologies if any offence caused.

Hope you get the bike set up how you want it Paul – nice machine!

Merry Christmas 😉

ricardo666
    Free Member

I admire the guy for going and buying a sb66, I bought a asr 5 couple of
    years ago, it was well out of my budget and riding capabilities, and its made me into a better rider. And it took two years to pay for it, rather than sticking it away in my savings account with no interest.

Mugboo

+1 for Loco Tuning, give a bell or drop him an email, he’ll sort your shock.

paulwatts
    Free Member

Thanks TheArtist. No offence! I am passionate about my bikes – l buy used and go without beer if necessary.

Yes, a new bike is a challenge. It all has to be set up for how you like it.
    Its a great bike and it’s all coming together now.

I get my pension in 7 months – l want to have a long life so ’66 may help!!?

# As always on stw – most topics go in strange directions ! #

choppersquad
    Free Member

Good on you. You may not need the sb66 for riding round the New Forest, but who says you won’t take it to Wales etc? Do yourself a favor and do just that. It’ll feel right in it’s element.

ahsf
    Free Member

I have had a 575 and now have the sb66 they do feel harsh compared to the 575 but that is the switch system to help it pedal, there is noway to make it feel like the 575 even on the descent mode on the shock which is as plush as you can get the sb66.
    I would ask to get the shock tune but it will never seem like the 575. Good luck

paulwatts
    Free Member

Chopper – thanks for the encouragement!

Ashf – very interesting – good to know that’s the tradeoff l have to make.
    Feel as tho the 66 is a serious bit of kit and l must work it and give it respect !!

Have advertised it, but l don’t think l can let it go now. I’ll never be good enough for it …
    but I ‘ll try !!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First ride on my new SB 66 tomorrow, I’ll post up then.

ahsf
    Free Member

Your right there Paulwatts the 66 is made to be ridden/raced hard and fast to feel the benefit but if you ride it in the descent mode with a plush sag setting 30% (about 19mm) it should feel good to ride around the forest.
    I loved the 575 an only got the 66 for the slacker head angle/bit more travel as I do a lot big mountain/alps style riding which the 66 is better for the Descents. Hope it feels better riding it like this.

paulwatts
    Free Member

ahsf – thanks, that’s how l have set it up and its fine.
    Tight and fast!
    Happy trails.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘SB66 too good for me.Can l make it a plush trail bike?!’ is closed to new replies.