Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Saying hello to strangers…(commuting fun).
  • ton

this morning on my commute along the canal, I said hello or good morning to every cyclist coming in the opposite direction.
    maybe about 20 or so people. on 2 did not reply. a few had a look of sheer panic on their faces, wondering why the bloke who they cross paths with on a daily basis, decided to say hello all of a sudden.
    it made me smile and giggle, a few of them also smiled too.

😀

dunmail
    Free Member

I say hello to loads on my commute from the miserable git kitted out in full DH gear to the elderly couple walking their dog.

pondo

90% success rate, I’d say that’s really good. 🙂 I don’t keep figures but on my rural commute, I estimate I get a response about 20% of the time.

njee20
    Free Member

I say hello, or acknowledge, everyone whenever I’m riding. Except in London, where you’d never actually get anywhere!

Klunk
    Free Member

cheery f**kers everywhere hate them 👿

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’ve tried this in manchester. maybe 50% success rate. there’s the occasional conversation at red lights too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Get a dog. Hit rate seems to be much higher with dog owners. I actually converse with complete strangers when walking the dog.

MussEd
    Free Member

I would never not reply, and indeed often initiate it(esp on tight lanes etc) but I admit rarely bother on the road. After all when I take the car I don’t wave to other car drivers.

JEngledow
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago I dropped the car at the garage for a service and cycled home alongside a busy road against the flow of commuters and was quite surprised at how few even looked up, let alone replied when I greeted them!

I actually converse with complete strangers when walking the dog.

+1

DezB
    Free Member

I say hello, or acknowledge, everyone whenever I’m riding

Everyone!? Blimey, you should concentrate on where you’re going!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I always say hello to people and get the wjole range from surly indifference to shock to the odd few being pleased

nbt

Always give a cheery “Hello” when riding to work along the canal, and a nice “thank you” to people who stand aside when I say “ting ting, can I come past you please”. Most smile or say “hello” or something, even the guy who used to stare fixedly at the ground as he walked the other way has started to meet my regard and reply.

somouk
    Free Member

I always say hello to people on two wheels and often most out running the trails/roads.

I tend to get ignored by roadies, a hello back from mountain bikers and a nod from the runners. Even have some stop me for a chat about the local riding every now and again.

adsh
    Free Member

I actually converse with complete strangers when walking the dogging.

FTFY

D0NK

offroad commute everyone gets a “hello” except irresponsible dog walkers who get a frown. Pretty good success rate.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I actually converse with complete strangers when walking the dogging.

No, I find it quite difficult to talk while wearing a gimp mask and balancing one handed on a car bonnet!

mrchrispy

Sometime give people a random wave in the car just to amuse myself on.
    More often than not you get a confused wave back.

njee20
    Free Member

Everyone!? Blimey, you should concentrate on where you’re going!

It’s bloody carnage I’ll tells ya!

This is basically just the opposite of the miserable roadies thread innit, I say hello to all cyclists, but don’t care if they don’t reply. Was out on the MTB a couple of weeks ago, overtook a couple of guys riding up out of Peaslake, said a cheery hello, one looked across at me, said absolutely nothing, then looked forwards again, the other just ignored me. I smiled to myself, and got on with my ride.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I did the experiment the other way yesterday, I normally greet everyone however (probably because I wanted to die) I ignored everyone on my ride. No one said hello to me so it was all good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I always try and disarm with a warm greeting, particularly riding on cheeky trails, as it tends to catch those-who-were-about-to-moan off guard. Usually works, though I was riding in the peak for the first time last weekend, never in my entire life have I encountered the sheer volume of ignorant twunts that ride there.

billytinkle
    Free Member

It’s one thing I really like about commuting by bike – there’s plenty of regulars who exchange pleasantries every day. It’s what separates us from the animals car drivers.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

I always say hello. Partly because I don’t have a bell, and partly because I was brought up in a mining village where everybody knew each other.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

If I’m on the MTB/MTB based commuter, I’ll give a cheery “‘Ow do?” to anyone. If I’m on the road bike, I’ll just grimace and not acknowledge anybody.
    ( 😉 😉 )

jaqsobo
    Free Member

I ALWAYS give a big cheery hello when I am on the MTB and my hit rate is about 50% response. Its hilarious when folk pretend they can’t see me when we are the only ones out passing on a moor track.

On the road bike I give a ‘cool’ nod and usually get one back.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Saying hello to strangers…(commuting fun).’ is closed to new replies.