Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Say hello to my bargain Enduro bike
  • richmtb

On One Codeine

Frame was £265
    Fork was £200
    New GX 1 x 11 drivetrain was £250.

The other bits were spare or “borrowed” from my other bikes.

It rides great, it feels like its nailed to the ground in the corners but flicks into the air at the merest whiff of a jump. It ain’t light by any stretch of the imagination but it climbs and pedals really well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice Rich, time you came back to the shire for a ride, I’ll take you round all the good stuff around Fairlie and Largs.

spacey

Looks great, I was always tempted by one of them. Blue definitely the best colour. Proper bargain too!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aldo56
    Free Member

Nice bike. Did you pick up the frame / shock / fork second hand?

richmtb

Yes Frame and fork were ebay specials.

Would have preferred a Pike up front but there aren’t that many 29er 2nd hand ones around and didn’t fancy paying for a new one. Rev’s are fine as I’m not that heavy

deviant
    Free Member

I like it…i briefly rode someone’s 27.5 codeine at BPW recently, it was ace…got me thinking about a cheap/second hand 29er build.

That’s the way to do it, given recent price hikes I’ll probably do the same for my next FS, even the direct sales brands are looking pricey these days.

richmtb

So don’t get me wrong the frames are cheaper for a reason. You could charitably call it “functional” they certainly didn’t worry about excess metal when they were designing it.

But it just feels really sorted, a plastic Santa Cruz is no doubt prettier but I’d need a mortgage to afford a new one

fasthaggis

I can’t get used to the look of a tiny front chainring and mahoosive cassette(I know it’s just me),but the rest looks good.
    Bargaintastic.

iainc

That’s about £300 more that your wife reckons it cost …. 🙂

richmtb

That’s about £300 more that your wife reckons it cost ….

Shhh…. 😉

I’ll take you round all the good stuff around Fairlie and Largs.

Yes Greig that sounds like a plan, I here there is a whole load of stuff around Kelburn now

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yep, bikepark ayrshire is coming on, closes 1st October though, so need to be quick…

richmtb

You free tomorrow Greig?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m planning going up there about 9 ish if ye fancy it? Need to be home about 2, missus is heading off.

I’ll be at Fairlie railway station at 9, pm me yer number if ye fancy it Rich.

core

Nice work, like builds like this, far less precious than a £3k wunderbike and far more likely to get used and abused as intended.

Admittedly mine’s not as cheap, but just got a like new Bird Aeris 120 frame for under half of new cost and in the process of building it up now, should be a blast, and didn’t break the bank!

superstu
    Free Member

Great work OP, cracking bike.

jimplops

Cracking bike, your bargain build makes mine seem expensive, and I didn’t spend a load lol. Love how it rides.

Poopscoop

Doesn’t look like a budget bike at all mate. Nice build!

scandal42
    Free Member

Smashing build for the money.

Reminds me of specialized frames where the front just looks really high compared to the saddle height

aldo56
    Free Member

How are you finding the geomtry Rich? Been eyeing them up recently but the short reach is putting me off.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

OP hitting Bikepark Ayrshire on said codeine this morning… :mrgreen:

20170916_124753 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

20170916_113824 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

ahwiles
    Free Member

aldo56 – Member
    How are you finding the geomtry Rich? Been eyeing them up recently but the short reach is putting me off.

Personally, it’s fine.

Maybe a bit less stable on steep rough trails, but easier to manual, and dare I say it, more tolerant of those rides where you’re happy to back off a bit.

molgrips
    Free Member

What size is that? What size are you? Looks very short (not trying to be disparaging, just interested).

My budget Enduro is my 10 year old Patriot 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Aldo56 ….. Reach wise they do come up a bit short compared to ultra modern stuff. I wouldn’t let it out you off though. I think they rode very well all things considered.

I have a large btw

andy4d

Fair play. Looks good. I do love a ‘bargain’ bike build. I am doing my own hardtail bargain build just now. Nice feeling putting a bike together. Both frustrating and satisfying. 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What size is that? What size are you? Looks very short (not trying to be disparaging, just interested).

Rich is away on Hol, sure he won’t mind me answering – it’s a small and he’s 5’8″ ish. The pic does make it look very short, but it must be the format of the image, as it doesn’t look like that in the flesh. He certainly doesn’t look uncomfortable or hunched whilst on it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nicey McNiceface! Top job bike build.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Say hello to my bargain Enduro bike’ is closed to new replies.