Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sawyer, reimagined…
  • tootallpaul

Knees have been acting up so it was time to give the Sawyer a few gears.

DSC_0337 by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

Now running 1×9, LX shifter and shortcage mech, with an N-Gear jump stop to keep the chain in check. I had to ditch the Mary bars, and went with some low risers.

DSC_0327 by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

And dug my old Manitou Minutes out to complete the transformation. May cut down the steerer and remove the top spacers if it rides OK.

DSC_0330 by too_tall_paul, on Flickr

And good time for me to play around with some filters in Picasa!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Always loved look of the Sawyer, if it didn’t have a trek badge it’d be fawned upon by nichemeisters. Keep looking on eBay for one!

Did you polish the Minute crowns or is that factory?

tootallpaul

I was the same about the Sawyer, and waited for ages for this one to pop up on ebay. It’s a great ride…

The crown is stock. Very shiny. The forks look good on the bike- I did wonder if they would spoil the retro look, but they fit in well.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

nah the scalloped crowns look like old-skool frame lugs and suit the retro look. I must stick sawyer as a “saved search” on fleabay…. 😀

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I love your shiny crown, it’s amazing.

Bike is pretty good too.

tootallpaul

Cheers all.

I like it. It rides really nice too- I can’t wait to try it out with the minutes on now.

househusband

How are you getting on with the Manitou forks..?

Have ordered a 29er frame and next will be forks; the Manitou Tower seems to get good reviews on mtbr and other places, but I’m also considering RS Reba’s…

tootallpaul

I remember the Minutes being good- its been a while since I last used them in anger!

I may get them tuned by loco in the new year if they suit the Sawyer well.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Riser bars on a 29er ???

tootallpaul

Yep. Only cos the Mary bars I did have on it don’t have enough room for a gear shifter.

Rides fine- dropping the stem down means the bars are no different in height.

saracendan

Did you notice any difference using a non g2 offset fork? Got a set of of new g2 recons to try on my sawyer for longer/rougher rides in place of the stock rigid but much more choice in non g2 available. I’d be tempted by a better spec reba if it doesn’t upset handling too much.

tootallpaul

Dan- feels fine so far. If anything, it may be a tad better.

Not really been ridden offroad in anger yet though.

Guitar Ted has a bit to say on it here:

http://twentynineinches.com/2011/06/26/treks-fisher-collection-sawyer-final-review/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sawyer, reimagined…’ is closed to new replies.