Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Saw horses.
  • Ambrose

Does anyone use a sawhorse for supporting wood whilst cutting their firewood? I’ve seen pics of a few available on-line but making one out of some 3×2 seems simple enough. What are the USPs of shop-bought ones as opposed to DIY?

I’ve seen quite a few sites selling this design. Grippy serrated teeth, folds for storage. It looks rather too unstable (flexy) though.

Cheers, Ambrose

trail_rat
    Free Member

Serrated teeth. I guess its metal….

Looking at my saw horse of the homemade 4×2 variety my saw would have needed a few chains as its allergic to metal.

geoffj

I’ve got one of the metal ones with serrated teeth. It’s remarkably ok as far as saw horses go. The pros for me are that it folds flat ish, so I can put it in the garage when not in use and take it with me in the back of the truck for cross cutting on site if I need to, I think I paid about £20 for it about 5 yrs agol it definitely owes me nothing. Was a bit of a bastard to put together iirc though,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tiggs121
    Free Member

Make it yourself – nice big coach bolt at the pivot point. Can be done with 3 “X” frames if you need to cut short lengths of firewood.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You’d be better making your own. You can space the jaws so that a central cut will suit the firebox of your stove or fire. I’m not keen on the idea of metal near a chainsaw blade.

My design is very simple. if I were making one again, I’d recess the nuts on the end of the threaded rod so you can’t clip it with the saw.

Stoner
    Free Member

made this one from some scrap ages ago. WOrks well with long cords.

DrP

Being fairly new to this manly pastime…What do you do with all the wood chipping? I’d like to make a saw horse with a collecting bex to keep things clean!

DrP

thecaptain
    Free Member

Those all look like they only hold about one piece at a time, and only then if it’s pretty straight. Mine with two sets of tall vertical arms can be stacked with 150kg of randomly shaped logs/branches (rated load) and cut through the lot in a couple of minutes.

I’m going to try growing mushrooms on some of the sawdust, was considering making briquettes but doubt it’s worth the effort given how easy it is to get wood round these parts (fnarr). So last week we took 4 builders’ bags to the tip, which seems a waste.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

DrP, don’t underestimate the amount of sawdust a chainsaw can generate.

We mix ours with compost and we’ve also tried to use it as a mulch to suppress weeds on paths. Now, wherever possible I try to cut up logs before I bring them home to save me dealing with the waste.

richmars

Something like this means you don’t have to keep putting the saw down to replace the log. Just load it up, 5-8 cuts and all done.

properbikeco
    Free Member

ditto teh above if doing it with a chainsaw – otherwise plain old-fashioned cuddy is best

samuri
    Free Member

I have one of the cheap aluminium ones with serrated teeth.

It’s a load of shit.

The biggest issue is the tendancy for the nuts to fall off. I’ve tried all sorts. Spring washers, two nuts, glue on the nuts… Nothing works, they all come off quickly. No idea why.

I’ll be building a wooden one from some solid lumps of wood this summer.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Here’s one I made earlier, still going strong a few years later, and proves to work well enough. Someone since cut a 6 inch slot in one of the planks but I patched it with dust and woodglue 😯

Do I get extra points for using the sawhorse to make the sawhorse?

Ambrose

Well that’s pretty unanimous then. It looks like I’m off to the wood merchants pretty soon. Cheers guys.

Ambrose.

IHN

I’m currently making one out of a couple of old pallets and a lot of nails…

I’ll post pics when it’s done and await the howls of horror…

trail_rat
    Free Member

i made mine out of some old decking supports and slats someone gave me to burn.

kilo

I have one of the Portek logmaster saw horses

Saw horse

Great bit of kit, keeps the chainsaw out of the way and makes cutting logs a fairly safe quick process. Had it a few years now and never had any issues with it

br
    Free Member

Before you make one, which I did in the past, consider a saw-horse that have a built-in ‘lock’ for the chainsaw.

Far easier to use and certainly far safer as you haven’t to balance holding the saw and wood.

This kind of thing:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/030422085?da=1&TC=GS-030422085

nedrapier

What do you do with all the wood chipping? I’d like to make a saw horse with a collecting bex to keep things clean!

Surely it’s up to her what she does with the chippings? 😀

ski
    Free Member

Stoner great idea, just needs some wheels and a handle the other end, to cart it about 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

On the chipping question, I usually just stick mine in some big green garden bins with holes in. They dry out nice and fast and make excellent kindling.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Saw horses.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts