Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • saw a marin muirwoods 1992 model for sale yesterday…
  • racefaceec90

at cash generator in trowbridge. were wanting £80.00 for it.

do you think that is a bit steep or about right (the bike looked ok from what i saw of it,but obvious paint chips e.t.c.

i was tempted tbh but ended up replacing my broken 360 slim instead.

bike is this model btw

neilm
    Free Member

That’s not a bad price, if it was all / mostly original.

racefaceec90

from the quick glance i did of it,it did look pretty original.

i must admit to having a connection with these era marin’s as i had an eldridge grade 1992 model.

am hoping that the bike may still be there in a fortnight,am considering buying it now/doing it up 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

I would pay that for it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I see the retro appeal, but what are you going to use it for? Unlike many things, modern bike geo is actually better than older designs.

Plus parts can be a pain.

IHN

Muirwoods was pretty low-end, even then wasn’t it? I’d leave it

(I’m still the proud owner of a ’95 Hawk Hill, it’ll never be sold…)

pictonroad

Muirwoods was bottom of the range, £50 is about right having bought and sold a few old Marins late last year.

weeble
    Free Member

My first MTB was a Muirwoods fantastic bike, wish I still had it. I’d pay £80 for a decent one

racefaceec90

cheers for the replies everyone. was thinking of converting it to ss and fitting v brakes also/doing it up.

am hoping the bike will be there in a fortnight as no set on buying it sod the expense 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thats not a 1992 Muirwoods, ’92 Muirwoods was gray with blue bits.

Cost just under £500 new

If you want to see how mine looks now take a look at my profile.

the-muffin-man

They weighed a ton!

And the old school ‘head-down’ geometry may take some getting used to.

letmetalktomark

I like my retro bikes and I like Marins but I would leave it for £80.

Low end groupset.

Unless it hods huge sentimental value i.e. you had the same when you were younger I would say there was better about.

LS
    Free Member

It is a 92, the grey/blue was 94 I think. I had a 91 Palisades which was zolatone frame /fluo forks, then a 92 Pine Mountain, 92 bikes were fluo rear end. The ‘Marin Lite’ components first came out in 92.

martymac

defoe a 92, i had an eldridge grade back then.
    same colour scheme/graphics except mine was orange/black.
    check the stem cap, mine disappeared about 10 mins after i rode out of the shop.
    i might pay 80 for that, but it would need to be mint.
    my one was seriously light compared to more modern steel frames, but had shit brakes, lightish wheels which i ended up replacing, and it must be said it was an extremely flexible frame.
    i loved it.

boblo
    Free Member

Old Marin you say? Oh go on then, any excuse:

amedias
    Free Member

Depends if you want it because of what it is or you’re after a cheap bike to actually use.

On that front compare with any brand new £99 supermarket/halfords bike and clearly any decent older bike (as long as not totally worn out) is a better option, and at least when they do wear out parts are easily replaced compared to super budget parts like stamped chinsets etc.

onewheelgood

It is a 92 – look at the smilarity with this 92 Eldridge

Gary_M
    Free Member

It is a 92, the grey/blue was 94 I think.

Well I bought mine in spring ’92 and it’s gray/blue.

fasthaggis

I didn’t like them then,it wouldn’t be a retro choice now .

Saccades
    Free Member

Mate had a marin that was dark grey with orange fluoro bars and forks I think about that time, any idea as to the version (really sketchy details I know), pretty sure the marin was written in a darker grey so it was really stealth. I’m getting my hard tail re-sprayed and I quite fancy doing it along the lines of that bike

Gary_M
    Free Member

ah looks like mine was a ’93. Must have got the new model year version – result!

noteeth
    Free Member

I wish I hadn’t sold my (bright yellow) 1990 Marin Muirwoods, back in the day…

It changed my life! 😀

iamroughrider
    Free Member

they’re brilliant bikes. There’s no issue with parts at all. All the bearings are simple items to replace and service. They can run very large tyres such as probably High Rollers or slightly smaller so they can be comfortable. The geometry is actually pretty slack feeling. Not sure of the head angle though. Unless you have the saddle really high they do not have a head down feeling. Anyway the bars can usually be raised with the quill stem. The stem heights if you look at the pics are raised, rather than older bikes that had straight stems.The stems are also pretty short. Not a bad price IMHO if it’s not rusted and in good order, although you may get something similar/better on ebay a bit cheaper maybe. If it’s low range £60 to £70, mid range £70 to £80 maybe at a guess. Have a look at ebay for others and see the bid prices etc. All in my humble opinion. Also not exactly sure of that particular model in terms of how high up in the range it is. Having said that there’s probably loads of similar retro type bikes on ebay that you may prefer for a similar price. Not sure I’d wanna be riding freeride parks on it though.Also they may weight a bit but they ride really light feel surefooted and are quite nimble.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

the only thing you may need to do web searching for is a square taper bb with the correct ( long ) axle length and also factor in some v brakes.Having said all of that an old kona or gt or similar would be good too i guess.Also everything is relative, ie slack compared to many others at the time, shortish stems compared to many others others at the time, large tyre clearance compared to many others etc..Although I am no expert..

iamroughrider
    Free Member

not a bad idea to waxoil them too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘saw a marin muirwoods 1992 model for sale yesterday…’ is closed to new replies.