• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Savoury energy food – does it exist?
  • jonb
    Free Member

Did a road ride today and by the 4 hour mark I was getting really sick of sweet cereal bars and psp.

Does anyone make nice savoury energy food or do you have suggestions. I could have killed for a pork pie flavoured high 5 bar.

uplink
    Free Member

I tend to have a couple of those individual cheeses or a Pepperami for when the savoury need comes on long rides

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

scotch egg! or bacon sarnie on wholemeal bread FTW

ton

couc cous in a zip loc bag
    cold pasta in a zip loc bag
    rice in a zip loc bag

pypdjl
    Free Member

Just eat a pork pie!

druidh
    Free Member

PSP is horrendously sweet and sticky.

Try something like unflavoured Torq instead. Also – some of the gels have a less sweet taste – like the yoghurt flavours.

crikey
    Free Member

I've got a mate who does ironman silliness in Oz, he says they give out vegemite toast to give a change from the sweetness…

uplink
    Free Member
    BigJohn

I think "sandwich" might be the concept you're grasping for here.

Tuna & Mayo "sandwich"
    Bacon, Peanut Butter & Apricot Jam "sandwich"
    Cheese & Onion "sandwich"

All good.

There's an unsubstantiated rumour that you can prepare these at home before the ride if you have the right equipment.

aikon
    Free Member

Marmite cereal bars, though even as a marmite fan I find them virtually inedible

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you want to buy it on the go, then ginsters are absolutely perfect (cheap supermarket versions are available too, although they're mostly not as good)

If you feel like you'd kill for a pork pie flavoured energy bar, that is probably your body telling you it could do with a pork pie.

Joe

amplebrew

I always thought that's what Ginsters were for 8)

Zoolander
    Free Member

There sure is market for Performance Pasties.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Pies.

Bez

Nuts (salted ones also good for cramp IME).
    Mars bars (sweet yes, but nice – better to have something you want to eat than something that either makes you feel sick or you can't even face eating).
    Malt loaf (not as dense as is ideal for jersey pockets, but hey).
    Pork scratchings.
    Beer at a pub halfway. With nuts. And scratchings.

Burls72
    Free Member

Bacon, Peanut Butter & Apricot Jam "sandwich"

Your a sick, sick man 😆

uplink
    Free Member

I do a sportive each year & at one of the feed stations they have hot sausage rolls mmmmmmmm………..

amplebrew

We bought some new Soreen the other day that's a lighter colour and not as heavy to eat. It's got peel (not John) in it and tastes a bit like a hot cross bun 🙂

Very yummy, but still sweet.

amplebrew

uplink – Member
    I do a sportive each year & at one of the feed stations they have hot sausage rolls mmmmmmmm………..

Hope they had brown sauce as well 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

yeah they did & red & mustard etc.

🙂

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Struggling to see the imperative for a pork pie flavoured Hi 5 on a road ride when you can stop somwehere and obtain the real thing?

amplebrew

uplink – Member
    yeah they did & red & mustard etc.

Bring on the wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry…….

Bring on the Branston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

cheers_drive

We bought some new Soreen the other day that's a lighter colour and not as heavy to eat. It's got peel (not John) in it and tastes a bit like a hot cross bun

Very yummy, but still sweet.

The new Soreen tastes great and doesn't stick to your teeth / roof of mouth as much.

Crell
    Free Member

Performance Pasties.

😆 …who'll be the first to TM that! I'll second the cheese & Branston sarnie vote.

Bez

doesn't stick to your teeth / roof of mouth as much

But that's half the pleasure, keeping the sticky fruity goodness in your mouth for longer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Savoury energy food – does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.