Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Savoury energy food
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I'm a little sick of only eating sweet stuff for energy food. Anyone have any recipes for home made, savoury trail food?
    Recipe must be do-able for a man who once tried to cook pasta in a pan without adding any water.

nols
    Free Member

powerbar do a peanut pretzel bar thats kindy salty and not overly sweet. Got bits of pretzel in and stuff. Well tasty.

uplink
    Free Member

thepurist
    sheldona
    Free Member

Home made egg and bacon trail sushi as eaten yesterday, not sure how much energy it gave but it was very nice 😉

topangarider
    Free Member

Savoury flapjack – loads on recipes on the wen, but mine includes

Porridge oats
    Carrot
    Onion
    Cheese
    dash of milk
    an egg

Lovely

cynic-al
    Free Member

Macaroni pies.

Mozarella rolls.

Make your own flapjacks that aren't as sweet.

jonb
    Free Member

I asked this about 12 months ago and got told to take a sandwich. Malt loaf isn't savoury but it's not sickly IMO. Sausage rolls?

I still think there's a market for a cheese based/flavoured energy bar, much better than liver.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ritz Bitz are ace trail food, but unfortunately not available over here 🙁

belgianbob

Pasties, THE original energy food.

If you CAN cook pasta, cold pasta salad with chicken, tuna, Spam or whatever other protein works for you can be good. Or even with vegetables (I know, I know, but it can work…)
    Potato salad is good, and is available ready-made, ready packed. Can be messy if the tub explodes in your camelbak in a crash.

finbar
    Free Member

Ham sammich

sofatester
    Free Member

LIVER!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Yeah, Torq need to sort that Cheddar Energy Bar. They could have a whole cheese series. Stilton, Yarg, Morbier…

cabbage84
    Free Member

kp dry roasted peanuts full of good stuff

Pieface

Marmite ceral bars / flap-jacks?

Just bought a box of marmite bars, not tried them yet nor have any idea on how 'sports nutrition' they are.

bassspine
    Free Member

I tried marmite porage for breakfast once. Vile.

nasher
    Free Member

Here in Western Liguria, Italy, there is a pie called Torta verde (green tart) it has a very thin pastry loaded with rice, riccota cheese, zuchini and other greens and held together with egg… lovely and very high carb content!!

I will ask the old dear next door for a recipe

Ciao

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I'm sure I had a salted peanut flavour energy bar not so long ago at Dalby. Chilli Slice is the way forward though.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Keva
    Free Member

I find the small pots of ready to eat cous cous or lentils are good, get them in Sainsbury or Waitrose. One of those and a couple of sandwiches works for me.

Only use energy bars when I really really have to.

Kev

Salted cashews or peanuts.
    Fig rolls.

Pyro

Sliced Cumberland sausage mixed with grainy mustard in pitta breads does the work for me.

dustytrails

Peanut butter (crunchy whole earth) & marmite butties on preferably thick brown bread……yummm

Cougar

Quiche?

Seems like what you're looking for here is essentially 'party food.' Sausage rolls, pork pies etc. (Sod all use to me as a vegemetarian, mind)

I'm terribly intrigued by the idea of Marmite flapjacks. That's going to go one of two ways…!

Cougar, Linda McCartney sausage rolls are vegan, as are Jus Rol pastry and Sosmix if you want to make your own.

Cougar

Yeah, this is true. I knew this, I just can't have been paying attention when I wrote that (-: That said, I'm not convinced that the concept of a porkless pie particularly appeals to me…!

clubber
    Free Member

Honey and mustard sausages FTW

I bought a porkless pie from H&B once.
    I ate the pastry and gave the "filling" to my dog.

Mark

Scotch egg?

I like the sushi idea tho.. May give that a go 🙂
    I reckon someone needs to make a tuna based energy bar with a parsley sauce liquid centre 🙂

D0NK

A whopping big slice of Westmorland pie (cumbrian sausage meat, cheese and pickle filling, plenty of jelly) from Tebay services, the best savoury mid ride snack ever!
    They also do some very nice posh individual pies.

If I'm not going passed Tebay then some sort of pasty, pie or scotch egg.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Not quite answering the question, but on longer rides I do find that my stomach is happiest with a combination of sweet/savoury, so these days I take along a trail mix consisting of…

a selection of nuts
    raisins
    fruit flakes/pieces (yoghurt coated if you like)
    M&Ms

Every time you take a handful, you're getting a bit of sweet, a bit of savoury, a bit of salt, and copious calories. Yummy.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Salted nuts and M&Ms?!

pedalhead
    Free Member

chocolate M&Ms 🙂

IHN

I asked this about 12 months ago and got told to take a sandwich.

Sounds like sensible advice.

People have been extracting energy from food long before the "energy food" marketing machine starting "educating" us that we couldn't possibly get the aminolithoelectroproteiolytes required for riding our bikes round for a bit by just, you know, having something to eat.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Jeez Buzz Killington…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Savoury energy food’ is closed to new replies.