Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Saving Nemo
  • Bregante

We’ve had two goldfish for 5 years and both were in the picture of health until late last week.
    One of them is still absolutely fine but the other (Nemo) has deteriorated quite rapidly. His fins and scales seem fine and undamaged but he is now lay on his side at the bottom of the tank just thrashing about intermittently.

A bit of internet reading suggests it may be a swim bladder infection and we’ve tried adding a treatment over the past 24 hrs but there is no change. Water levels checked and all appears fine. Tank is properly oxygenated and water changed 30% on a weekly basis. Weve tried adding salt and give him crunched peas on advice of the local shop but I fear we’re losing him. The kids are quite distressed when they see him.

Any advice?

matt_outandabout

Bregante

Sadly he’s eaten all the peas 🙂

matt_outandabout

😆

bearnecessities

Bregante

Were you never warned of the dangers of combining electricity and water Rich?

bearnecessities

Well you’d take fish out of the tank and allow to dry out for 5 minutes first, obviously!

(Hope someone comes along soon with some constructive advice!)

magowen100
    Free Member

Is he still eating? If so turn the light off and minimise disturbances. Leave him be for a few days and he may get better . However stressful it is for you to see it is much more stressful for him, so controlling stress is the key, keep him dark and quiet and he has a chance.
    Normally swim bladder infections are a one way ticket (especially in seahorses), but I’ve seen some fish pull through. Luckily if anything can make it a goldfish can.
    If he’s not eating it may be an impaction of food in the gut not allowing the swim bladder to inflate, in which case you might want to have the circle of life talks with the little ones….
    Good luck either way.

scaredypants

Sorry, I reckon he’s ****, IM(minmal)E they never recover for more than a day or two before dying

Bregante

Cheers. We’ve had the talk today and I fear you’re right scaredypants 🙁

bearnecessities

**** me; a talking fish?

(sorry)

Bregante

🙂

Bregante

Well, we tried and failed. 🙁

Nemo’s condition deteriorated over the past two days and he passed away this afternoon after we resorted to the clove oil method of fish euthanasia.

There will be a short service in the garden this afternoon (family only) followed by fish and chips for tea.

Well, it is Friday. 😯

jekkyl

surely all dead pet fish have to be flushed down the loo? isn’t that the law!?

molgrips
    Free Member

Family only? How are you going to trace his next of kin?

smurfly13
    Free Member

RIP Nemo……..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Saving Nemo’ is closed to new replies.