Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Saving money in the UK with no address?
  • Travis

Have been living in China now for 10 years.

I currently don’t have a UK bank account, but was wondering if it possible to set up some sort of account, in which I could deposit money.

The view is, in a couple of years, to purchase property (probably with no mortgage required)

Thanks

nickharv

It’s increasingly difficult for non residents to open UK bank accounts due to money laundering regulations and identity fraud. I know Barclays do offer something as my brother is a non resident and uses them. https://wealth.barclays.com/en_gb/home/international-banking/who-we-help/resident-non-doms/non-resident-bank-account.html

nickc

Get a relative to open an acct in their name for you? Mum or Dad?

Travis

Hi,

Thanks for the information.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m in Hong Kong at present.

As nickharv says, my account with HSBC Hong Kong allows me to hold cash in several currencies, and they have almost managed to organise themselves to open an account for me in the UK.

I appreciate mainland PRC is likely to be trickier, but I’d start by exploring whether an international bank that you can use locally will either:

(a) let you hold sterling cash in a local account; or
    (b) let you open an account with one of its branches in the UK.

HSBC or Standard Chartered maybe your easiest bets.

shotsaway
    Free Member

What about an Offshore account in say the Channel Islands? Offshore banks are geared towards expats and UK residents who find it useful to have an account in another currency. On this basis and as many expat couldn’t/wouldn’t physically get to say Jersey or Guernsey it should be fairly straight forward to open? Although you may be required to deposit a minimum amount into the account?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Saving money in the UK with no address?’ is closed to new replies.