Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Save the Vulcan!
  • CaptJon
    Free Member

zokes – Member

Care to name something of note since the Vulcan that was solely-British designed and built?

As elfin has stated that is a silly argument. If you understand anything about high end engineering you’d know that global collaboration is how it works (best). The UK is still home to some awesome engineering – BAE systems, Royals Royce, motorsport engineering, chemicals manufacture, offshore technologies, bio-science… etc etc etc etc

ChrisL

I’ve enjoyed watching it at airshows so I’ve donated some money. I hope that some Harriers are kept flying in the UK for the same reason.

Technically, tax income does get spent on it as they can claim back gift-aid on donations.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve come back from my hols and find that the historic railway that runs past my garden has been running the Tornado all week.

Tornado

It’s irrelevant, a dinosaur, and one of the best things I’ve seen all year. The kids went bonkers everytime it went past.

So I’m all for a bit of nostalgia; and what’s wrong with keeping old stuff alive for the young ‘uns to goggle at?

rootes1

Care to name something of note since the Vulcan that was solely-British designed and built?

AEC Routemaster Bus

Probably has been more use than the Vulcan as well 😉

crazy-legs

Obviously you are a callous uncaring individual who doesn’t give a toss about disabled kiddies or see any need to put a smile on their poor little faces

Maybe the sight and sound of a Vulcan flying low overheard would put a smile on their faces. Donate now, save the Vulcan and make people smile. Win win situation!

😉

OmarLittle
    Free Member

saw it taking off after the pedal for scotland this year (had been at an airshow the previous day) and it was a magnificient sight

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

AEC Routemaster Bus

Oh for shame that I din’t think of that! 😳 Nice one Rootes.

Far more iconic, too. The red Routemaster was indeed a symbol of Britain, not just London. The Vulcan will never be seen as much more than a symbol of the Cold War.

Maybe the sight and sound of a Vulcan flying low overheard would put a smile on their faces.

More likely to frighten them and damage their delicate hearing. 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I’m gonna cuck money at getting some old piece of junk moving, I’d consider it for this –

Northwind

“PeterPoddy – Member

If I’m gonna cuck money at getting some old piece of junk moving, I’d consider it for this”

Mallard was restored to operational at its last big refit, but it’s being kept as a static exhibit just now for better preservation as there’s other A4s still approved for mainline use. Apparently it could be out under it’s own steam fairly easily as these things go but this way they can keep it in better shape for the future.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

“The red Routemaster was indeed a symbol of Britain, not just London.”

Typically closed minded southern viewpoint. That’s like saying black pudding, or stottie cakes, or peas pudding are a symbol of Britain as a whole.

Oh, and where are the pictures of atomic bomb victims? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t you start…

Typically closed minded southern viewpoint

How is it? The Routemaster is as much a worthy icon of Britain, as anything else. Scottish Tartan, the Welsh language, the Lake District, Blackpool Tower, red telephone boxes and post boxes, bulldogs, the Beatles, the Morris Mini, Policemen’s helmets, Concorde, etc, etc. Things which may well have regional origins, yet still stand as icons of Britain.

In fact, Google image for ‘British Icons’ and see what you get….

Hyak hyak hyak…..

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Save the Vulcan!’ is closed to new replies.