Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Save The Children Advertising Campaign
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

They put people on a proper guilt trp don’t they?

Here’s a fact: To become a registered UK charity, you only have to donate 10% of the money your business turns over. I controversially use the word business because that is what I believe a lot of these charities really are. They say £2 gives a child clean drinking water, they say £2 gives a child medicines to stay alive. All may be true and people would be fooled into thinking that their £2 does exactly that. OK, how much does it cost Save The Children to advertise on mainstream TV all day every day? What about their other costs – marketing and other advertising, offices, salaries, IT infrastructure, shipping costs etc etc. They should really be saying “of your £2 a month, 20p goes towards saving a child’s life”. They won’t tell you how much they donate because people would not subscribe.

If I was in a position of power, I would force all charities to publish the percentage they donate in each and every advert.

These ads make me feel like we are in some way responsible for these poor defenceless kids. They are thousands of miles away, living in an environment totally different from ours, a totally different culture from ours. Don’t we have enough problems on our own doorstep? Don’t our government give out a fortune of our money away in aid to these countries already?

In the third world, people have always had as many offspring as they can because they know that there will be a lot of wastage through disease, predators, starvation, crime. It’s the way of nature in fact. Not pretty, but it’s survival instinct. People in the third world also have no means of supporting themselves as they yet older and by having as many children as they can, this helps secure food and shelter in old age. Life expectancy is much much less than the developed world, but this hasn’t prevented a population explosion in developing countries.

We should be tackling the route cause of the problem: government incompetence, corruption, lack of public education and preventing conflict, but then should we? Is it really our business? We are never thanked for our interventions, being branded imperialists etc. I think there should be a global effort to sort this out. We have pumped billions into Africa, but she can’t sort herself out. We wiped the slate clean at one stage, only for the waste to continue.

There is often great compassion and potential help from people who are in fortunate personal circumstances, but hard hitting campaigns like this are a huge turn off! I’m sure people are getting fatigued by the bombardment.

bearnecessities

Tea anyone?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Any biscuits?

franksinatra

Maybe spend less time ranting and more time reading up on your subject. Save the children spend 11p in every donated pound on advertising to raise the next pound. Sounds fair enough. If you rummage further it will be easy find how much of the remaining 89p goes on admin etc.

nickjb
    Free Member

They are thousands of miles away, living in an environment totally different from ours, a totally different culture from ours. Don’t we have enough problems on our own doorstep?

stopped reading at that point for my own sanity

Gary_C

Well said Spongebob.

Don’t we have enough problems on our own doorstep?

Exactly.

poly
    Free Member

So you are feeling guilty for not donating and trying to justify it to yourself?

You’ll find what you are looking for here:
    http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/sites/default/files/docs/Save-the-Childre-Annual-Report-2011_0.pdf

and Save the Children work in the UK too… …but nobody is forcing you to donate.

bearnecessities

Any biscuits?

Garabaldi, or some fruit cake?

colournoise

Their own figures admittedly, but presumably fairly easy to verify?

http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6229505/k.5C4E/Financial_Information.htm

enfht
    Free Member

Giving money makes people feel better, it gives others the perceived permission to flame people who don’t agree with these type of adverts for the reasons you’ve outlined. It gives others an enormous high horse to shout abuse at “the ignorant” from. Others feel obliged to type shit like *shakes head in desparation* without the need to give a reason or *biscuits anyone?*. And don’t forget the marxists..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well according to you there is a lot of wastage of offspring in third world countries from predators and starvation, so unless I’m not paying sufficient attention to the news our problems don’t appear to be as serious.

konabunny
    Free Member

Is the OP the same one who was all het up about not being able to buy a dvd of some obscure Disney movie because Teh Blacks wouldn’t let him?

maccruiskeen

Save the Children funded my gfs work while she held the hands of children as the police lifted the floorboards looking for their mothers body… on your doorstep Spongebob. And her work to change the law nationally and change policy locally to you.

…We should be tackling the route cause of the problem…

🙄

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Wow! Just…wow!,

Spongebob, what was that you were saying of generosity of spirit going a long way?

Wow!!

You charmer!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Garabaldi, or some fruit cake?

Garabaldi please. On average only about 40 calories per slice so you can eat thousands of them (which we are undoubtably going to need).

Sandwich

Yes the crisis work in the UK that sections of our parliament were outraged by. I can’t think why given the financial storm that is about to sweep through the less fortunate sections of our society.

I’ve got a Burco on the go here, so it’s draught tea.

jekkyl

In the third world, people have always had as many offspring as they can because they know that there will be a lot of wastage through disease, predators, starvation, crime

Predators?! WTF!
    Turn around, over here, wtf are you?
    Get to da chopper! etc etc

piemonster

OP

You are an arse

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Save The Children Advertising Campaign’ is closed to new replies.