Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)
  • Save me from the Strava bores!
  • xyeti
    Free Member

Are you hanging out the back of poison spider whilst your actually typing this shit?

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

As it happens, no. Are you? What a strange question.

You imply that these strava bores weren’t tolerated. The fact he didn’t go up to them and try to make them talk about something else, as you said you would have done, shows that he did tolerate them.

Basically, I’m not sure its me typing shit, if you catch my drift.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can’t be, all the people in the poison spider seemed tolerant

poisonspider
    Free Member

Are you hanging out the back of poison spider whilst your actually typing this shit?

Excuse me!!!

As a gay man I find that comment inexcusably homophobic!!

Perhaps I should start a thread titled ‘Save me from the STW discriminators!’

How you can possibly position yourself on the moral high ground when you come out with abuse like that is beyond me.

poisonspider
    Free Member

Are we saying MTBing and STW is for straight guys only now!!

poisonspider
    Free Member

Oh, now you go quiet, bigots.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

To be fair, I don’t think anyone is suggesting anything of the sort. Xyeti simply showed himself up as a bit of a tit but I doubt he really meant anything by it, except to somehow offend me.

Meh.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I doubt he really meant anything by it

It’s just homophobia by the back door!

An insult here, a stereotype there, it’s this kind of accepted nonsense that marginalises potentially vulnerable sectors of society!

qtip

It’s just homophobia by the back door!

Pun intended? I do hope so.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

qtip – I shall suppress a smirk.

poisonspider – I don’t necessarily disagree but your reaction above could be construed as a bit melodramatic…

philjunior
    Free Member

Nothing wrong in any of that DT78, the point in question is whether or not the instant you finish a ride you whip out the ‘strava enabled device of choice’, check your stats and talk only about those stats for the next half hour. If so, congratulations, you can consider yourself a Strava bore. If on the other hand you check your stats, pat yourself on the back and proceed to consider and discuss a less trivial aspect of riding/life then you are unfortunately just normal.

If I happened to have a group of mates who all liked comparing Strava stats at the end of the ride, that wouldn’t make me (or any of them) a Strava bore, just a group of people going on about something that doesn’t really matter that makes us happy.
    If I went home and told my wife/other people who don’t give a shit all about my Strava “achievements” and dissections of my stats, it would be me being a bore. Geeky club, yes, but they were only bores to the OP (who wasn’t part of their conversation anyway). Nothing really wrong with OP for listening in to another conversation, but the OP essentially asks “Why is everyone else totally boring and not exactly like me?”, I suspect the answer is “Because if everyone was the same, that would truly be boring.”

gummikuh

Reminds me of a lunch I shared with my wife. It was at my place of work and I was on my lunch break, this restaurant is open to the public, and I was wearing my work clothing.
    We were not really getting on at the time and I was being pretty silent and just staring out of the window, I guess she was being a bit snotty, but I reckon I wasn’t the best company.
    An older couple about 3 chairs down must have listened to it all, and when they got up to leave the woman had a go at my missus and said I would leave you as well you miserable bitch and that we had ruined her happy lunch!!
    I was so shocked I couldn’t get up quick enough, but knowing everything is on CCTV I thought better of it.
    Some people just can’t leave well alone.
    I don’t do strava, some people obviously do, I do enjoy scenery/ seeing wild animals, sometimes I am lucky to have kept my eyes on the trail!
    Its a bit rude to listen to other peoples conversations unless being really loud, in which case you may need to get up and find somewhere else to sit?

trailhound101

Is this the right e-room for an argument?

(competeing interests: I use strava and my wife bought me a rather fectching Rapha jacket for Christmas a few years ago. Oh, and i enjoy going to cafe’s and occasionally I overhear some interesting stuff in the queues or on the next table but mainly people have their noses stuck in their bloomin’ phones… which I really, really hate!)

bomberman
    Free Member

You find conversations about Strava boring so you thought you’d start one here.

Good one!

deadkenny
    Free Member

poisonspider – Member
    Both groups were mountain bikers.

It’s all about the individual segments to mountain bikers. Each segment is a specific trail usually and without Strava they’d be talking about those trails anyway, the conditions on each one, and comparing against each other. Strava adds that extra bit of interest that’s all.

On the other hand Strava on the road seems far more about distance and overall time. I bet a group of roadies would be discussing at the end of the ride the overall stats, Strava or otherwise. They’ve been using cycle computers, Garmins etc long before mountain bikers got interested in such things (mainly thanks to Strava showing the segments, i.e. trails).

It’s all just fun and interest though to me. Not a competitive thing as I’m way down the league and very average rider.

poisonspider
    Free Member

I don’t necessarily disagree but your reaction above could be construed as a bit melodramatic…

Perhaps you’re right. I’m just a bit sensitive about it that’s all. Apologies.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not sure it adds much to this debate but Strava as art is harder than it first seems

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FkQhLg]StravaArt[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

You find conversations about Strava boring so you thought you’d start one here.

😀

dazh

This is a funny thread. Most cyclists are boring, it’s a fact of life. I remember when I first got into mountain biking all anyone ever talked about was the progression of their forks, the damping and rebound settings and how much sag they were set at. These days if it’s not strava it’s tyre width, wheel sizes and whether boosted hubs are better than normal size hubs. If I’m with roadies everyone seems to be obsessed about bottom bracket standards and why they got rid of good old non-clicky threaded BBs. Golfers however are much worse. You wouldn’t believe how much conversation can be had on the subject of carbon fibre club shafts or whether to use a reverse putting grip.

molgrips
    Free Member

Odd thread.

My problem with the OP is his judgementalism. So a group of people share a common interest and talk about it. Don’t think less of them because you don’t, and if you want to, do it in private or risk looking like a nob.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Save me from the Strava bores!’ is closed to new replies.