Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Save me..
  • matt_outandabout

Day 1, IOSH Managing Safely course and it’s death by slow speaking and PowerPoint…

3 more days.

Please liven this up… Please….

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What annoying habits do the speaker and others around you have? Find the most annoying one and try to get everyone in the room doing it be the end of the course.

scaredypants

We could play bingo

I’m having

Stakeholders
    Traction
    Concordance
    Signposting

wildcard is “Dickheads” – you may have to provide this one on my behalf

matt_outandabout

Dear lord, please don’t make me go back tomorrow…

1. Powerpoint, all day.
    2. Monotone presentation.
    3. ‘I am going to ask questions I know the answer to, in exact wording, and will expect the minions trainees to guess’ being asked every few minutes, with 30 seconds to answer before I say ‘No? Right, who does know?’
    4. Inability to use the simple IT on hand in a competent manner.
    5. Use of late 1990’s video at one point.
    6. Warm stuffy room of 20 people. See points 1 and 2 above.

leffeboy

7. Reading everything on the slide? (in case you can’t read) =instant death

matt_outandabout

Thankfully he had some animated slides, therefore could not read everything on them….
    The lad who kicked us off, introduced as ‘the apprentice’, did however…. 😐

JoeG
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Matt ask when the course feedback forms will be distributed. If there aren’t any design your own.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It bamboozles me why PowerPoint is still used so heavily these days. Some of my colleagues kill the class with it. I use it lightly along with EBT and I’m just starting to switch some stuff to Prezi. Tell them to.move with the times man 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Try slipping out a silent one cheek sneak. See how many guffs you can get away with.

nickc

….”obi-won you’re my only hope”

Knife him, brutally, with at least a 10inch kitchen knife, and at least 8-10 times.

Remember, when you’re done, turn to the rest of the delegates and say “shall we off to the pub early, last one there buys the first round” and smile, winningly

matt_outandabout

There will be feedback at the end of the course… 👿

And a few of us are planning an escape tomorrow lunch,..

ampthill

Prezi isn’t really the answer. That’s just writing in a different font

Its about abit of creativity, delivery and interaction

You have my sympathy

ampthill

IOSH Managing Safely

Surely you should be actively engaged writing bit of risk assessments. Thinking of ways to reduce hazards. Whatching clips of video to see whats wrong. Evaluating different structures for managing risk

matt_outandabout

Yes, yes we should.
    I was sat there all day as another trainer thinking ideas, activities, games and better ways of folk actively engaging with the processes and gaining the knowledge needed.

Hmm, I see a business opportunity..

40mpg

Who’s paying for this course? If you or your employer I wouldn’t wait until the end to give feedback.

You could always liven it up a bit by asking probing questions – in the middle of EVERY* slide 😀

*although you wouldn’t get to finish early, and everyone else will hate you

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Its no help to you but I did the same course this year and fortunately we had a good instructor equipped with plenty of anecdotes who kept it interesting.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Prezi isn’t really the answer. That’s just writing in a different font

Hmmm, really? It’s a damn sight more engaging than power snooze.

If your front man is the human equivalent of beige, even the most interesting course can make you go zzzzzzzz.

ampthill

The benefits of Prezi are

It can show the relationships between things more effectively that Powerpoint

If you have to deliver that sort of course the novelty might help

But I don’t think a good course is about the medium

Currently I write on bits of paper, this is projected onto a screen

Lots of cons but at the moment it feels very flexible and it keeps my facing the audeince

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve done the same course, possible even delivered by the same guy given the delivery. Don’t fight it. Dull presentation, stuffy room. Have lots of carbs at lunch (lunch was provided, lots of big bready buns with little filling), then sleep it off in the afternoon.

Worst thing is, you’ll have only been awake for half the course but still pass.

boxelder

There will be feedback at the end of the course.

Bet you still give him/her 3’s/Meh rating

matt_outandabout

So today took a turn from the boring to the ridiculous….as a group of us kept asking the question ‘what has this got to do with the course?’ at one point as he digressed into voltage vs amps calculations(!).
    Ended up with three of us walking out, and one calling the boss of the training company to complain…
    Please save me from tomorrow, cant I just have the exam paper now?

project
    Free Member

Our health and safety lecturer at college, told us of a lecture he was at, when one of the other students put his hand in the window vent axia fan, just to see what would happen, it took parts of his fingers off.

But they got the afternoon off as well.

ElShalimo

Bring your ice-axe tomorrow and wave it about. Vigourously

Or create your own homemade “Paddle of Rebuke” and have it on stand-by

davosaurusrex

Slight drift – anyone done the behavioural safety course run by the three actors, one of whom is the spit of Henry Winkleman (he has a good anecdote about that too)? Now THAT was a good course!

matt_outandabout

Now that would be worth a giggle.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Currently I write on bits of paper, this is projected onto a screen

Lots of cons but at the moment it feels very flexible and it keeps my facing the audeince

OHPs?! Nice. Do you use that old carbon copy paper to make worksheets too?

garage-dweller

Juggle chainsaws at the back while singing the lumberjack song then periodically ask him to speak up as he’s a bit lost in the background noise.

bruneep

Matt YGM

bbb
    Free Member

This has everything you ever need to know about managing safety:

ElShalimo

matt_outandabout – Member

Now that would be worth a giggle.

If you don’t have time tonight, take a photo of the one on the advert and have it as your phone screensaver – when they annoy you again, reach across the room phone proudly held in hand, facing the enemy and say something pithy.

ElShalimo

matt_outandabout – did you survive the day?

matt_outandabout

We survived. I like to think it was a ‘we’, as the team grew in character through overcoming the PowerPoint of never ending bullet points….

Exam, done and passed. Now time for the project.

Intriguingly, no feedback to the course trainer or providing company was asked for.

I have already dropped them a wee email… And one other course participant also did, cc’ing me in..

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’ve been in HSEQ for 10 years (I’m the E) and in all that time the only thing shitter than the health and safey courses we run are the quality ones. I just think it’s a impossibility that anyone who wakes up one morning and thinks ‘I know, I want to be health and safety professional’ to write a decent training course (My Environmental stuffs frickin awesome, like)

ElShalimo

Did you have to get out the Paddle of Rebuke?

RustyNissanPrairie

i got blagged into IOSH crap as well cant remember what level but was a day every few weeks spread over a couple of months. I went once I think and never bothered with the dull monotone crap again even though the lunch nearly made it worthwhile

2 out of 15 passed.

Absolute pile of health & safety shite. You have my sympathy.

For health and safety tips;
    http://www.colinfurze.com/the-videos.html

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Save me..’ is closed to new replies.