Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Sauna
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I now have a sauna in my garage (don't ask why)

Anything worth knowing before I start using it? I guess I just turn it on, sit in it, sweat and then go have a shower but I was wondering if there were any benefits to a sauna or stuff like that?

The ones I have used in the past have been big things in the hotels which I have used to kill time but this is a smaller 2 person one which I might use more often.

There is no room to fit the cameraman before anyone suggests that.

sc-xc

You lucky bastard. Saunas are ace.

Just make sure you have a handy bowl for all the car keys…

tommytowtruck

Yeah saunas are brilliant. Get some Vihta to give yourselves a good whacking with, then get outside and roll in the snow. Invigorating!

hora
    Free Member

I could send round my girlfriend and sister in law to work the Sauna for you? (I'm going to go to 'ell for saying that!)

Pigface
    Free Member

Pre heat, go in sit down, chuck the water onto the stones, dont pour it on as you can scald yourself in the steam. Give it about 15 minutes get under cold shower, make Walrus noises then back into the heat. After an hour you should be done.

Drink cold beer in sauna, like nectar apparently. Take your girly in and get very sweaty 🙂

Sauna is like being a little bit closer to heaven.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Your sauna experiences sound nicer than mine have been.

Sat in a hotel sauna with three naked fat German businessmen and an 80 year old woman who kept flapping her flange to cool down!

Pigface
    Free Member

I lived in Finland for a year and sauna became part of life. Twice a week religiously then for a treat we would go ice swimming. That was special.

wormhole

but what is the benifit?

anokdale
    Free Member

Allways liked a sauna, fancy getting one at the house, anyway drinking beer in the sauna is good, we did that in Norway.

In Germany in a place called Wiengarrten sp? had the same experience, me and a mate in there (in the Army at the time) and in walks a whole family, mum, dad, kids ranging from 6 to i guess about 16, two girls both 15 and 16ish !! and gran and grandad, beat a hasty retreat, it did not feel right for many reasons.

On the other hand here in Tripoli the steam room is mixed but the women are covered up from head to toe, extremely bizarre.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just makes you feel great 🙂 very very relaxing. There is some evidence that it is beneficial for circulatory conditions.

I really want a sauna now, was in one with a Lituanian girl at the Fire Service College, we managed to clear it out by making it so hot. Weirdly none of the firemen objected to her putting lots of water on the stones. that was an hour very well spent.

crazy-legs

We had one every day when we were in Finland!
    It's just part of life over there although on one night the owner of the chalet we were staying at and his friend came in wearing woolly socks and hats and nothing else then started beating each other with birch twigs – we tried to keep a straight face!
    They cut a hole in the ice over the river for us to jump into, they had to use a chainsaw to get through the ice and then lever the block out with a crowbar. 😯

meehaja
    Free Member

We used to have a sauna in the basement of a shared house. It was great when we'd been riding and one would shower while the other 2 would keep warm in the sauna. However, the idea that we could invite pretty girls back from the pub for a sauna didn't quite work out. Learnt some vital lessons though…

Women don't like getting naked in front of strangers, but will strip down to their underwear.

Under wired bra's leave nasty burns when hot.

Earings also get very hot.

Its not sexy, its sweaty and awkward!

Having a sauna will attract more men than women.

A sauna full of sweaty men is a reason not to have a sauna (unless you're into that, in which case its fine.)

meehaja
    Free Member

and don't let anyone pour beer on the coals, it smells like bread for about a minute, then it just smells rank.

hora
    Free Member

meehaja was it in Hudds?

WCA- we used to have three saunas at our gym- one dry, one wet and one superhot dry one. We all sat in the superhot dry one and for a bet one of our number chucked copious amounts of water on. We were all laughing and the next thing we knew the gym staff were reviving us all on the floor of the changing rooms after dragging us out unconcious!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Beer gets warm 🙁

It was raining when I walked back from the garage to the house 🙁

I walked into the house near naked, sweaty and rained on to be met by a load of friends who had just popped round to say hello 🙁

Not impressed yet.

hora
    Free Member

WCA say you've just ran home after the Police carried out a raid on a dogging session? Should drop a few jaws.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Beer gets warm

drink faster or smaller beers get some stubbies

I walked into the house near naked, sweaty and rained on to be met by a load of friends who had just popped round to say hello

remember to lock your doors

crazy-legs

Yeah, your set-up is all wrong!
    Sauna needs to be next to a shower or preferably a large, iced-over river/lake. Out of sauna, into cold shower/river, back into sauna. Repeat until clean and invigorated.
    Go into dry sauna to towel off, get dressed etc. And don't wear anything in a sauna, tnat's definitely wrong…

Try inviting the friends into the sauna with you, it'll make for a more relaxed atmosphere. 😉

AndyP
    Free Member

Sauna needs to be next to a shower or preferably a large, iced-over river/lake. Out of sauna, into cold shower/river, back into sauna. Repeat until clean and invigorated.
    Go into dry sauna to towel off, get dressed etc. And don't wear anything in a sauna, tnat's definitely wrong..

+about 100.
    What are the feelings of STW users on the addition of Olbas oil to the water? I can't decide. Sometimes it's quite invigorating, other times it's just **** annoying.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I will try and divert an ice river to Southampton then.

It is in the garage because I didn't tell the wife about it. After that it gets complex

Denno17
    Free Member

Take a razor in with you after about 40 mins have a shave. It opens all the pores of your skin and it's the best way (only way i shave) to shave.

Good for you skin to opens all your pores to get all the shite out.

sturmey
    Free Member

My cousin has one in his backgarden. The next door neighbour laughs at them when they use it saying " it looks like a pan potatoes on the boil" Makes me laugh when ever anyone comments about them.

sc-xc

how much was your sauna, and how much room does it need? half a garage?

hora
    Free Member

I'd love a sauna in my house. At Uni we had a full Jacuzzi in the house. Bathtimes were never the same after 🙁

scaredypants

did you build & wire it yourself ?

😯

AndyP
    Free Member

ventanarider
    Free Member

I have an infrared sauna and it is excellent. you can relax completely, stay in longer than a regular wet sauna and if if you want you can read singletrack magazines without the pages going all mushy!

flatback
    Free Member

tell me more about infra red saunas please i been thinking of geting one

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My Sauna is basically a wooden shed about 6×8 on the outside with a glorified kettle element in it. It was free because of stuff. No idea what it would cost normally.

ventanarider
    Free Member

infra red sauna has heating elements behind your back and legs and in the front too.(good for knees)can also have them overhead.
    Takes 20 mins to warm up to full heat. plug in with 13 amp plug no hard wiring! no water to keep putting on coals.
    Air inside cabin stays dry as tou are warmed from the inside out as apposed to a normal sauna.
    I have a speaker connected in mine, coloured lighting and aromotherapy compartment with a small electric fan.

My 2 person one cost around £1500 delivered and installed. I have subsequently moved it without any probs, and was made a special height to fit in my cellar. There are some cheaper flat pack diy ones available but not so sure about them

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Sauna’ is closed to new replies.