• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Saucisson Shelf Life (calling Juan!)
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Anyone know (other than google which seems to claim 12 weeks) the real shelf life of saucisson? I've had some lovely ones in the cupboard for 20 months now since our last Alpine visit and while it looks fine (if a little more dehydrated) I'm not sure it's wise to give it a try. Views?

coffeeking
    Free Member

20 minutes and no replies, this is a first on STW!

atlaz
    Free Member

Try it. If it tastes like it's going to kill you, it might well do. Chances are it's fine.

higgo
    Free Member

Don't risk it.
    Send it to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

My guess is that since it's a product born out of a need to preserve meat, it'll preserve it quite well 🙂

BigJohn

Your nose will tell you.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

which seems to claim 12 weeks

😯 12 weeks ? you're kidding me ? …..more like 12 years.

And don't be put off by any green mould – just scrape it off with the knife if it bothers you, you're gonna peel the skin off anyway.

ocrider

Up to 18 months is about the limit, providing it has been kept in a dry place it should be fine.
    After that time it just gets a bit too tough to bother eating, but it should still be edible.

doug_basqueMTB.com

It should last for ages. If it's too mouldy then you can just take the outer skin off normally. They tend to dry out and be unpleasant rather than mutate.

I was at a saucisson festival in Bayonne a couple of weeks back. Incredible!! You could buy a bag of mixed ones like you used to get 10p mixtures in 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

OK, I'm sold then – I'll peel them and try them! I just don't want to end up with the plague or something similar for the sake of a tenners worth of food 🙂 They do look to have dropped about 10% volume from when I bought them, only one way to find out! Its that whole process of uncooked meat left for months that makes me question the sanity, but I suppose thats what it is anyway!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They do look to have dropped about 10% volume …..

I'm sure that Juan would conform that a 10% reduction in the length of your saucisson is not usual.
    It's an age related problem I believe.

juan
    Free Member

To be fair they never lastg enough at mine to et mouldy. But you'll be fine life time is probably years. Only the skin will get mouldy so peel it off à la grizligus
    The shrinkage is due to the fact that it has dried.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cheers, I'm sold on that then – time to get tucking in!

I'm sure that Juan would conform that a 10% reduction in the length of your saucisson is not usual.
    It's an age related problem I believe.

Thought it was just me! 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well that was interesting, cut one open and the surface was rock solid (as predicted) but the centre was gooey and wet 😯 Decided not to risk it!

Ambrose

Smell?

juan
    Free Member

that is just normal I think as they dry from the outside in…

coffeeking
    Free Member

smelled worse than normal 😀 The middle was runny like honey, not like the usual "dampness". Not worth the risk, I'll just have to make another alpine visit this year to re-stock.

saleem
    Free Member

It all depends on the fat content, salts etc, if you want I'll send you the recipe formula for curing

juan
    Free Member

tsssss pansy

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Saucisson Shelf Life (calling Juan!)’ is closed to new replies.