Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 292 total)
  • Sauce: It's time we had rules
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

Organic – you can have it on the carpet apparently.

Hot sauce, hmmmmm, I’d suggest it’s an ingredient again. To pep something up. Not a table sauce though.

twinklydave

Never before IN MY LIFE have I seen such a collection of people being wrong in one place at the same time!

Many of you are ruining perfectly good foods with your sauce-lunacy and I am disgusted with you. Utterly disgusted.

🙂

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Houns – your bread choice is to be applauded.

However, bread choice is another thread waiting to happen.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    derek_starship
    Free Member

Got to disagree with Binner’s brown bread claim. I think a good tongue burning, mature as **** cheddar benefits from being served betwixt two slices of wholemeal / granary bread along with the necessary peripherals, lettuce, tomato, spring onion etc..

FRIED EGGS NEED BROWN SAUCE AND SALT

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I would agree TwinklyDave.

That is why I’ve published the rules – so that the wrongness can cease.

AlasdairMc

Bacon sandwich – BBQ sauce (controversial I know!!), substitute red if not available

Fish and chips – chippy sauce (brown sauce watered down with vinegar)

molgrips
    Free Member

Firstly, it’s TOMATO KETCHUP not red sauce. Wtf are you 5 years old or something?

Secondly, brown sauce, pickle and salad cream are all bloody DISGUSTING and should be banned, but that’s nothing comared to the EVIL that is MAYONNAISE. Jesus wept, the most disgusting thing on the planet and people are putting it on their FOOD and in their MOUTHS.. UGH UGH UGH x1000000 you utter freaks!

Tabasco IS a table sauce – some people like their food spicier, so that’s what it’s for.

richmtb

Peasants!

Sauces are made from scratch in a saucepan, normally from a base of onion / garlic / shallots lightly sauted in butter with a dash of wine and stock appropriate to the meat you will be serving. Herbs can be added to enhance the flavour.

What is this Red and Brown nonsense of which you speak?

derek_starship
    Free Member

WTF is chippy sauce (ahem – I know you described it) is it some kind of Scottish food filth?

HP fruity sauce is damn good on a fried egg too. My grandad taught me this fact when I was about 7.

Karinofnine

No! Mr Starship – mustard on fried eggs pur-lease! lol

The only exception is when the eggs are in a nice mushroom omelette (with garlic) in which case it’s got to be mayo – full fat mayo by the way, no sense messin’ with that “Light” rubbish – it tastes revolting and you have to eat way more to get the same hit…

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Molgrips – Red:Brown v Ketchup:HP is a north/south thing.

I’m a northerner by birth and sauce is red or brown.

Tobasco isn’t a table sauce! It’s an ingredient. If you want to pep your food up, cook the flavour in.

Karinofnine

mol – chips with cheese melted on them and salad cream – yum yum oh yeah

AlasdairMc

Chippy sauce is an Edinburgh thing I believe, but it’s great on chips.

I hear there are places that go for gravy on chips – what is that all about?!?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Richmtb – I think you’ll find that’s gravy, or, dare I whisper the word on here, a jus…..

It ain’t sauce!

derek_starship
    Free Member

yum yum oh yeah yum yum oh yeah

Post coital cigarette?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Well…Im also a northerner by birth..and it’s HP sauce and tomato ketchup!! So there!! 8)

chvck
    Free Member

Are these Northern or Southern rules?

Northern :-

Bacon sandwich – Brown
    Sausage sandwich – Brown
    Cheese pie – Brown
    Chips – Red

I thought that was meant to be

Bacon sandwich – Gravy
    Sausage sandwich – Gravy
    Cheese pie – Gravy
    Chips – Gravy

DrRSwank
    Free Member

mol – chips with cheese melted on them and salad cream – yum yum oh yeah

Acceptable.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Chips – Gravy

Chips and gravy is fine. Gravy is not a sauce – it’s gravy.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

jus????????????????

Now my blood pressure’s shot through the chuffin’ roof AND IT’S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 👿

binners

Dr Swank. I agree with you about the only sauce for a bacon butty being a really runny fried egg

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Well…Im also a northerner by birth..and it’s HP sauce and tomato ketchup!! So there

You’re clearly from somewhere posher than me 😉

Admiralable
    Free Member

No No No No No No

Smoked Salmon – Cream cheese, lemon and pepper
    Or hollandaise

Fish Fingers – Tartar sauce

Prawn – Marie Rose sauce which is Mayo and Ketchup mixed

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I didn’t start the jus thing. Don’t shout at me!

Harry_the_Spider

Anyone remember Fletcher’s Tiger Sauce?

An almost mythical sauce so awesome that it vanished from the shelves of PRESTO and into legend. It will only reappear in the hands (or perhaps down the front and round the corner of the mouth) of King Arthur and his knights when they ride out from under that secret hill of theirs to save us from Armageddon.

Like this, but in a small brown bottle.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Smoked Salmon – Cream cheese, lemon and pepper
    Or hollandaise

Fish Fingers – Tartar sauce

Prawn – Marie Rose sauce which is Mayo and Ketchup mixed

WRONG

Smoked salmon = horseradish
    Fish Fingers = BROWN sauce
    Prawn = Mayonaise (but only if you really have to) or Mango.

Cougar

A chip buttie must contain:

Doorstop-thick white bread
    Butter
    Proper chips, cut from potatoes and deep fried, none of this frozen / oven chip nonsense
    Salt
    Sarson’s malt vinegar (remember the chip buttie vinegar mantra; if it’s clear, it goes nowhere near)
    Heinz tomato ketchup

A correctly assembled chip buttie should be too tall to realistically fit in your mouth without compression and careful angling unless you’re Diana from V.

This is not a chip buttie:

Thin bread, watery ketchup, no vinegar, the butter seems to have all but disappeared and I suspect that it’s some form of “spread” instead. This image was lifted from a forum entitled “only in America” – I concur but I expect hat’s for wildly different reasons from the original thread’s intent.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

beans on toast was made for..

esp with some melted cheese on top

molgrips
    Free Member

Tobasco isn’t a table sauce! It’s an ingredient. If you want to pep your food up, cook the flavour in.

What if you want your Grilled Stuft Burrito extra hot and your wife wants it Mild?

Ask Taco Bell to cook two differently? No, just add the sauce.

PS the above mayonnaise salad cream sh*t is making me feel sick irl.

Cougar

I’m a northerner by birth and sauce is red or brown.

Can I hazard a guess here that you’re from the wrong side of the Pennines? (-:

Harry_the_Spider

Bacon sandwich – Gravy
    Sausage sandwich – Gravy
    Cheese pie – Gravy
    Chips – Gravy

PMSL

chvck
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – I put that on everything! I love the stuff.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

A chip buttie must contain:

Doorstop-thick white bread
    Butter
    Proper chips, cut from potatoes and deep fried, none of this frozen / oven chip nonsense
    Salt
    Sarson’s malt vinegar (remember the chip buttie vinegar mantra; if it’s clear, it goes nowhere near)
    Heinz tomato ketchup

WRONG!

But – very close. Just lose the vinegar. The chips should (as per the OCD thread) be laid out jenga style on good bread, with butter, and kethcup (although brown would be better).

Cougar

Brown sauce on a chip buttie and no vinegar?

I’m not saying that’s the first sign of madness, but I think I’ve just spotted Suggs walking up your drive.

oopnorth
    Free Member

A proper chip butty, in a bap from the chippy, should only have lots of salt and vinegar…. NO sauce!!!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Can I hazard a guess here that you’re from the wrong side of the Pennines? (-:

Probably. I cut my sauce eating teeth in Sheffield. Oddly enough a place where gravy and curry sauce (chip shop style – which I think is made from white pepper and wallpaper paste) seem popular.

However, there is a hard core of sauce cogniscents that taught me well.

The OH is from Rotherham and she knows her sauces (apart from thinking red and brown mix!).

Harry_the_Spider

bap

You mean a barm surley? I whole different debate.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

NO! Chip Butties are either home made (see the above recipe) OR are from a chip shop. They are different animals.

Chip shop chip butties (chips in a bread cake to give them their proper name) should have butter, salt, and mushy peas.

NO sauce!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

bap

You mean a barm surley? I whole different debate

BREADCAKE 👿

Houns

Oh dear god no!! Bap or bread bun, (I’ll permit a ‘cob’) not a barm, bread cake or teacake!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 292 total)

The topic ‘Sauce: It's time we had rules’ is closed to new replies.